US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

ummm, digestives aren't the same thing as teething toast are they? We don't have anything called a 'digestive' here unless it has something to do with an upset stomach :haha:

lol, i love this. I too have been really confused by the difference in names of the food we eat!!!

buscuits vs scones - i think theyre very damn similar
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cheesescones_1287

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?keywords=scones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/scones_1285

digestive biscuits are fab - great dunked in a cup of tea,

Digestive biscuits are whats squashed up on the bottom of cheesecakes.

aubergine - eggplant
courgette - zuccini (sp!)
swede - rudabaga
plain flour - all purpose flour
confectionaires sugar - icing sugar
corriander - cilantro
cling film - saran wrap

british lemonade is carbonated, more like sprite or 7up.

Oh! I have 2!

a plaster = a bandaid ---> ( ::[]:: )
a flannel = a washcloth/wash rag

ooh, never knew corriander was cilantro, lol!!
I think in the dried form here we still call it corriander... we call the fresh stuff either, I didn't know it was the same thing though.

confectionaires sugar is actually powdered sugar here usually (unless its a regional thing!)

I now understand when the color of something is said to be aubergine, its just eggplant color, lol... I've seen clothing colors described with both those names, so one is just a fancy way (at least over here)

haha :lol: @ this thread

I have always wondered why the americans call aubergine EGGPLANT. cos the bottom end looks like an egg? :shrug:

ummm, digestives aren't the same thing as teething toast are they? We don't have anything called a 'digestive' here unless it has something to do with an upset stomach :haha:

originally Digestives were designed to reliefe digestive problems, hence the name.. but they were so popular people ate them for fun not just for curing excess flatulance and stomach gripes.

Digestive biscuits are whats squashed up on the bottom of cheesecakes.

aubergine - eggplant
courgette - zuccini (sp!)
swede - rudabaga
plain flour - all purpose flour
confectionaires sugar - icing sugar
corriander - cilantro
cling film - saran wrap

british lemonade is carbonated, more like sprite or 7up.

Interesting! Although I call All-Purpose Flour just regular flour...dunno if that is just me or not. And Confectioneries sugar is powdered sugar here as well...and I call saran wrap cellophane. =D

haha :lol: @ this thread

I have always wondered why the americans call aubergine EGGPLANT. cos the bottom end looks like an egg? :shrug:

originally Digestives were designed to reliefe digestive problems, hence the name.. but they were so popular people ate them for fun not just for curing excess flatulance and stomach gripes.

Yeah...people thought that the baking soda relieved stomach aches. lol

A lot of our words are regional as well...I'm originally from the New England area, but now live in Missouri (mid-west area), and Sprinkles back East are called Jimmies, and Sub-sandwiches back East are Grinders...there are others.

Oh! I thought of more...

Ice Lollies = Popsicles
Bonnet = Hood of a car

the sprinkles/jimmies thing always cracked me up... because some people call condoms jimmies... so if you go into an ice cream parlor and as for jimmies, you may get a very strange look :rofl:

the sprinkles/jimmies thing always cracked me up... because some people call condoms jimmies... so if you go into an ice cream parlor and as for jimmies, you may get a very strange look :rofl:

LOL...I've never heard Jimmies meaning condoms....now rubbers, yes. Heard that one.

This isnt food, but.........

UK ladybird, US ladybug

UK Hoovering, US Vaccuming!! :haha: this one cracks me up!!
Its like

UK tissue, US Kleenex. Even though it is proper to call it a tissue

lol i always called condoms blobs - again a regional thing in the uk lol

can anyone explain the jello, jelly, jam thing??

jelly in the uk is a pudding - something to have with ice cream or custard
jam is something u spread on toast, thick and sweet can be made from a range of fruits

we dont have jello ?

jelly and jam are the same thing here (US)
jello is just the most popular brand name here for gelatin.. .I'm sure you have that!
We do the same thing with bandaid (bandage) and kleenex (tissue) and xerox (copier)... one brand name just takes over and thats what we call the item regardless of who made it

dont really seee gelatin much in the shops. . but then iv never looked for it either

umm,... you don't have the green or red or yellow stuff thats all jiggly and fruit flavored?
https://www.yorkblog.com/yorklite/jello.jpg

You serve it in cubes like that or in a mold and sometimes put fruit in it?
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jcdVXqBzCuw/SFvkTRs6saI/AAAAAAAADQY/VT5Y_jIzK_s/s400/virtual%2Bjello%2Bmold.jpg
https://www.jellorecipes.net/Jello-Images/triple-layer-jello-fruit-salad.jpg

^^^^ thats Jelly ^^^^^^

we dont tend to serve it in cubes - but we serve it in big bowls, or u can get mini pots of individual servings

ah, lol that clears it up! I just couldn't imagine you guys didn't have jello/jelly!

was just having a laugh reading through these nd you call condoms jimmies, we called them jonnies :haha:

nd also the trunk - is the boot of a car
one that ya missed out of the baby stuff diaper-nappy

cant really think of any more at tha minute :thumbup:

And I think the habit of serving them in cubes came from cafeterias... make a big batch in square/rectangle pans, then cut up and put in cups to serve... that way you don't have 1,000 cups in your fridge!

was just having a laugh reading through these nd you call condoms jimmies, we called them jonnies :haha:

nd also the trunk - is the boot of a car
one that ya missed out of the baby stuff diaper-nappy

cant really think of any more at tha minute :thumbup:

Boot/trunk
Nappy/diaper were the exact two I was about to say!! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member