US/UK Food: You call it whaaaaaaaat?

Oh...In (some parts at least of) America, Jam is jelly with bits of fruit in it - like the fruit it was made from. Instead of straining out all the flesh/skins of the fruit and using just the juice, they use that part too. And by "jelly" I mean the stuff you spread on toast or make Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches out of.... What a minute...does that mean you don't have PB&J there?! (Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.)

In the US we tend to use terms interchangabley that technically aren't.

Jelly, jam and preserves are all made from fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. The difference between them comes in the form that the fruit takes.

In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.

Jelly, jam and preserves are all made from fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. The difference between them comes in the form that the fruit takes.

In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).

Yes. Thank you! Hehe.

I noticed that we tend to use "Hamburger Meat" in place of "ground beef"...

by the way... I now really really want some jello!

ground beef is mince here nevermind hamburger meat :rofl:

its basically the same bits about jam nd jelly over here nd virginia corse we have peanut butter nd jelly sandwiches over here, dont think many people have tried them nd dont think it caught on much but i love them :thumbsup:

I didn't know this! Thank you!

you're welcome... I always get it confused.. had to google for that answer though, lol!

Oh oh I have some..

UK- rubbish US- garbage/trash

UK- petrol Us- gas

Not food related though!

Ok... I keep seeing people refer to jacket potatoes... I assume this is the US equivalent of baked potato?

Yes, Lisa... same thing! lol There are SO MANY different names for potato products here vs there!

Too funny, I've sat here scratching my head many times..

Like when I heard Egg soldiers, I was lost..

How toast becomes "soldiers" is beyond me.. :lol:

Great idea for a thread!

if you cut your toast into thin strips its easier to dip in your boiled egg, thats how they become soldiers lol

What? Dip it in boiled egg? What are you lot on about! I want to vomit! :sick:

This is so weird! :rofl:

if you cut your toast into thin strips its easier to dip in your boiled egg, thats how they become soldiers lol

:huh: How do you dip something into a boiled egg? The boiled eggs I eat are completely solid...lol...

well its a boiled egg but you have the yolk runny :D its well yummy

must be soft-boiled then... not hard boiled...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->