Using daughters middle name as a first name for new sibling?

MUMOF5

Now a mum of 6!
Reaction score
My eldest daughters middle name is Rose, she will be 18 by the time we hopefully have a new baby, I have always loved the name. After chatting with my daughter the other day I asked her how she'd feel if we did have another daughter and named her Rose, she said she would feel honoured. Just wondered what the outside opinion is? I've always wished I'd used it as a first name.

Ps: only other issue is our surname is Lee, so do you think that the name might get teased, Rose Lee, as in Gypsy Rose Lee, or the slang for a cup of tea "cup of Rosie Lee" (a UK cockney slang thing)

I think that's a lovely idea. I don't think she'd get teased for Rose Lee, it's a beautiful name.

I think considering the age of your daughter it would be quite sweet to use that name if they were really close in age it might have seemed a bit weird as it would be more noticeable. I'm going to be honest though the first thought that came to my head was gypsy Rose Lee although I don't think a child would be particularly bullied for it as I think it's more adults that would think it rather than other children xx

I think that since your daughter is OK with it it is totally fine. Rose Lee is very pretty :)

The fact that your daughter said she'd feel honoured made my heart melt! On that basis I would go for it xx

My first though was maybe your older daughter would feel as though she was being replaced or something but as she would feel honored then I would definitely do it. I'm in US and never heard of gypsy Rosie Lee, or a cup of tea being called rosie lee, I think it is a beautiful name and never mind any of that.

My parents did the same, my eldest brother is marc thomas they loved both names and didnt think theyd have anymore kids (he was number three), well two kids later they had my little brother thomas! Middle names are used so little no one has ever pointed it out.

As long as your older daughter is okay with it then go for it! My youngest daughter's name is Rosalie, so I think Rose Lee is a beautiful name ;-)

My youngest daughter's name is Rosalie, so I think Rose Lee is a beautiful name ;-)

I love the name Rosalie, but obviously with our surname it's a definite no no 😉

Now to think about potential middle names!! Hmm.....

Don't be offended but I automatically thought gypsy and cup of tea like you said... I wouldn't use it purely for those reasons however it's cute x

Don't be offended but I automatically thought gypsy and cup of tea like you said... I wouldn't use it purely for those reasons however it's cute x

Thanks for your honesty, I'm not at all offended, that's why I put it on here as I wanted honest feedback. I know that if we do go with the name it will be the first thing that our families will say (particularly as my family are of gypsy origin). I just don't feel that it's an issue for me, but it's whether I can get over it being an issue for everyone else iykwim, or for my daughter in the future.

Rose is a meaningful name for me, it's obviously my eldest daughters middle name, it was my great grandmothers name (the mum of my grandad that I recently lost), it was my deceased Nan's favourite flower - I have a memorial tattoo of roses because of this, and it's one of my favourite flowers which is why I chose them for my wedding bouquet.

I like it, and while some adults may think of the gypsy if you ask "what does this name make you think of?" ...I think when there is an actual person attached to it, and a last name, it probably won't occur to people very often. Does that make any sense at all? Once you add the context of a real person, I don't think it'll be an issue.

I've never heard of the tea reference, so not sure on that one, sorry!

Resurrected this old post, as after quite a long discussion with dh last night, I think we have come to a decision that if we do indeed have another little girl we will 99% call her Rose, it had so many meanings of sentiment to us both. The only reason that we may change our mind is if dh's cousin has a little girl and uses this name (they're due in a couple of weeks and are currently team yellow). I don't actually think that Rose is a current contender for them, so fingers crossed.

I would definitely use it. First name and surname and rarely used in an informal setting anyway and I think it's a lovely name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->