using patches when pregnant

Abbys_Mummy

Reaction score
Ok ok so i feel like a bad person i am a smoker and cant just go cold turkey i want to know if it will hurt my baby to use patches i mean it cant be any worse than smoking can it?

Why don't u call the 13 Quit number an talk to them bout it? Then all ur questions can b answered.

I was a smoker... through out my whole pregnancy. I felt really bad and tried stopping many times but it was a lot harder then I thought. God knows the stress that was on the baby when I was stressing out so bad while trying to quit.

The first thing I will say, is stop if you can. I wish I would have although my child is just fine.

I tried using the patch and it did just fine. My doctor said "its the lesser of the two evils" and "at lest they baby will not be getting all the other chemicals just the nicotine."

However I did read the booklet that came with it and it said that they don't really know what side effects they will have on the baby but its still better then smoking. Of course that didn't work for me because they made my arm and chest cramp up really bad, but they might work for you.

This is just my story and what I know about it and my experiences. You you ask your doctor before doing anything really. I even asked two different doctors at two different hospitals.

Good luck! and what ever you choose to do I'm sure you will have a very beautiful and healthy baby. :hugs:

i was and still am a smoker - the guilt is awful - the helpline told me the losengers were better as they did not give a constant supply but just a quick shot that went back out of the system far quicker than the constant (low level) from the patches - i tried them and still had the odd ciggie but replaced as many as i could with the losengers - hope this helps btw got them on perscription (2mg i think):hugs:

Ok ok so i feel like a bad person i am a smoker and cant just go cold turkey i want to know if it will hurt my baby to use patches i mean it cant be any worse than smoking can it?

i was told not to use them in pregnancy but dont quote me on that coz its just the opinion of on pharmasist

You can use patches but NOT the 24 hour patches - you can also use the inhaler. Talk to your MW they usually have a seperate MW who deals with smoking expecting Mums & the also provide the perscriptions for free patches etc. Good luck :D

Good luck on quitting :)

I would say using a patch is probably better than smoking, but Im not 100% sure :)

If you can go cold turkey, thats obvs the best way but its not easy. I went cold turkey and just hit my 5 month mark not long ago. Its really hard at first but does get easier :)

xxx

Hows it going ? Im on day 1 of giving up, im using the patches

I quit about a month before I got pregnant, as we were trying to conceive so I figured I'd better quit. Anyway I used the Nicorette gum, I found it worked really well. And apparently it is okay to chew while pregnant, becuase it is better to have just nicotine than all the chemicals that are in cigarettes. I didn't have to chew it for too long, only a few days, then I was able to stop. I think I liked the gum better than patches, because you get an instant nicotine rush when you need it from chewing the gum. It really helped.

Good luck to all of you trying to quit! You'll feel so much better once you do!:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->