Using sunbed in first trimester...

Rhiaberry

Reaction score
Hi there, I have low vitamin d and oral suppliment don't help to boost them up as I have trouble absorbing them. I started using the sunbed (first time in my life) to boost vit d only. Is this safe to continue now? Seems like such a silly thing to ask? I really hate using sunbed at the best of times so not using it will be not so bad. Lol.

I didn't use them myself when pregnant but I did look into it and apparently they recommend you don't use them but not because it would harm the baby but because your skin is more sensitive and it is more likely to cause damage to your skin. Also you would have to make sure your core temperature didn't rise high enough to harm baby but that depends on how long you go on for!

I wouldnt for the two reasons stated above. Your risk of getting skin cancer is higher when your immune system is compromised such as with pregnancy and your body temp could rise too high. I would try working with your OB to get to the root cause of your absorption problem. Maybe taking many smaller doses of vit d throughout the day will help your body absorb it. There are also other vitamins you can take to help aid in the absorption of vitamin d, such as magnesium.

Perhaps you could use a different type of sunlamp? They make sunlamps for seasonal depression that do not cause skin damage, I don't know if they boost vitamin D though.

Check with your doctor, but if you only did a minute or two I think it would be okay if the number of trips were limited too. I struggle with Vitamin D too.

I only used it for 3 mins a week or every other. That's if I manage it. It totally freaks me out in there. It's a new stand up one. I still can't tolerate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->