Using the doppler too often?

BrittRashel

Momma + Expecting #2
Reaction score
So, I found the baby's hb yesterday. :cloud9: I am already anxious to listen to it again but DH is saying that he heard that it emits sound waves that the baby can hear in the womb and that they don't like it which is why they move away from it. I don't want to hurt his little ears but I'm suck a worry wart that I want to listen again. Has anyone else heard this and does it hold any merit? How often does everyone use their Doppler?

I have.not heard dis hun i use it everydayxx

I haven't heard that either! I have heard that excessive usage can be bad for baby but I think once a day is fine! That's how often I used it from 9 to 18 weeks until i started to feel regular movement

I use mine everyday. I dont listen for ages though. As soon as i find it and i know its still there i turn it off. I used it everyday when i was pregnant with DD and she is fine x

Yes I have heard this. The U.S. FDA has a warning about them which is why I only used mine every 2-3 days before she started kicking. If the baby moves away then there's probably a reason why. Why put them under stress when you don't have to?

Here's an article that explains quite well why using home dopplers for reassurance is not a great idea:

https://www.countthekicks.org.uk/mums/your-babys-movements/why-shouldnt-i-use-a-home-doppler/

Personally, I would not use one. I believe medical ultrasounds prescribed and performed by trained medical staff are useful and low-risk, but the effects of frequent doppler ultrasounds performed without training have not been adequately assessed.

My doctor advised against getting an extra ultrasound privately as it carries a small amoumt of risk. Dopplers use a similar technology so based on this iv decided not to get one. There's no proven risk, but there's also not enough research to say its entirely safe. Every i read say to use in moderation and for small amounts of time

I have never ever heard of an official case of a baby being actually harmed through use of ultrasound or a Doppler. I don't think there has ever been a case of anything like this. Considering millions and millions of people all over the world have babies that have been through lots of ultrasounds and have gone through Doppler use - both at home and in hospital, then I would say you are pretty safe. If you want to use a Doppler, go ahead, just be prepared to not hear the HB sometimes because that happens. If you're sensible about it I don't see any problem.

The reason there is no adequate info on the harm that may be caused from doppler or ultrasound is because they won't test on pregnant women in case it doea affect the hheath of the fetus. I read this in different places when I was pg with dd. They do know that using the doppler 1x month is safe as that is what mw and dr do.
In saying that, I used doppler 2x week and had 8 ultrasounds (unusual but necessary to check development as I had a strange antigen occur).

What gestation can you usually hear the heartbeat from?

What gestation can you usually hear the heartbeat from?

That varies, some women say they find theirs as early as 8 weeks, other say they were 16 weeks before they found theirs. I was 10 weeks when I found mine and even now it can be a few days between when I find it.

I found mine around nine or ten weeks with the help of some youtube videos. It's hard to know what to listen for at first! It depends on a lot of factors I guess.

I found mine at 7+4 using a Sonoline B. This week however i was wondering why when I found it, it would go suddenly so is bubs moving away already?

I found mine at 7+4 and then found it again today (posted a video) at 8 weeks. Tried again to show DB and couldn't find it again. So it's hot and miss.

with my last two pregnancies I used to hear it once in the morning and once before going to bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->