Vaccinations

But surely the risk is low because children are vaccinated and this keeps the illness at bay. If everyone stops immunsing wont these 'rare' illnesses become more common? I dont really know much about it. James will be having all his Jabs though.

We're selectively vaccinating Jack, though I actually wish we'd been even more selective than we have been. I did my research and decided that the risks of catching the various illnesses routinely vaccinated against were incredibly small, even before the vaccines were introduced in some cases and the risks of serious complications from those illnesses even more rare. However, the risks of vaccines are still somewhat unknown, so little research has been done on the negative outcomes of vaccination.

It also really concerned me that the government had introduced some vaccines without them having been properly tested and I worried about the high aluminium content of some of them when aluminium poisoning has been shown to be very serious.

Also, some childhood illnesses are relatively minor in childhood but very serious in adulthood. The vaccines only provide a few years protection, whereas contracting the actual disease provide lifetime immunity. I would far rather Jack had a sore throat with mumps for a few days as a kid than ended up sterile as an adult because he was vaccinated before puberty.

Our GP gave us a lecture about our decision and said that all the kids who are vaccinated are fine, which is at best optimistic and at worst an outright lie! We don't know for sure that todays kids are not being seriously harmed by the intensive vaccination schedule in the UK. There are rising levels of ADD, which has been potentially linked to aluminium poisoning, rising levels of allergies not to mention cancer rates which some people theorise could be linked to our immune systems being bombarded at a young age and then crippled for the rest of our lives.

The illnesses MIGHT become more common, but not on a huge scale. But there are charts on the CDC's website, I'd have to get the link, showing the decline in the rates of these diseases before the vaccines were introduced, the actual rates of most of them was already very low. That's because of advances in treating the diseases before they spread badly, also nutrition and sanitation. I'm sure vaccines has done something, I wouldn't go as far to say as they are completely pointless and without any benefit, but the main reason is because of the other things I mentioned

But surely the risk is low because children are vaccinated and this keeps the illness at bay. If everyone stops immunsing wont these 'rare' illnesses become more common? I dont really know much about it. James will be having all his Jabs though.

Not exclusively, like I said in another post, the incidences of many of these diseases were in decline before mass immunisation. Better living conditions make catching them much less likely. Polio, for example, is spread by contact with faeces of infected people! Given that it has been eradicated in this part of the world, the chances of Jack handling infected poo is pretty damn small lol!

But you know what, yes, lower uptake of vaccines will probably result in more incidences of the illnesses. There has been an increase in measles cases since many parents stopped giving their children the MMR. But, and this is a big but, most of the things we vaccinate against are not that serious for the majority of children who do catch them. If your child is otherwise healthy you have very little to fear from most illnesses.

I know this may cause offence, but if I am totally honest, I don't especially want to "spread the word" about the "evils" of vaccination. I think everyone should be free to make an informed choice and currently the NHS does not encourage parents to do this. But I would prefer it if most parents continued to vaccinate, so that Jack still received some herd protection without me having to subject him to the risks of vaccination. I know that's pretty selfish of me, but my kids come first, everyone elses come second.

Does where you live have bearing on anyones decision not to vaccinate? I live in London so Im assuming diseases are more common here.

I really don't know much about London, I of course know where it is and all that, but I'm not familiar with the area. I'm guessing you mean because it's a large city vs out in the middle of nowhere? More people? I live right outside of Ft. Worth in the DFW area which is HUGE there are tons of people in TX. We also lived right outside Denver Colorado, another major city. No, it didn't make a difference to me.

Yeah I meant because its a major city full of the great unwashed!

Thanks Missy, that link is really informative for people new to this debate :)

I completely agree to what Shifter said. I don't want anyone to take my word on anything, I wish more people researched both sides, benefits to both sides and the information was more easily available, everyone should be able to make their own choice.

We selectively vaccinated DD1 but DD2 didn't have any and this one won't either. I think all of our reasons have already been mentioned in this thread; lack of testing, dubious ingredients, serious side effects etc.

I would love for Dex not to have any but I just dont want to risk him getting anything. My friend got measles in later life and he was really really ill.

I would love for Dex not to have any but I just dont want to risk him getting anything. My friend got measles in later life and he was really really ill.

:hugs: This is exactly the problem. Many illnesses are very minor in childhood but more serious later in life. The vaccines don't actually appear to be all that effective, whereas catching the actual illness as a child provides lifetime immunity.

i've just recieved our appointment for daisy's jabs and i'm really undecided..i thought about not getting her immunised while i was pregnant but thought i was being silly by not wanting to get her immunised but i'm really considering not getting her done........how would i go about refusing????

sara

xxxxx

i've just recieved our appointment for daisy's jabs and i'm really undecided..i thought about not getting her immunised while i was pregnant but thought i was being silly by not wanting to get her immunised but i'm really considering not getting her done........how would i go about refusing????

sara

xxxxx

Just call up and cancel the appointment. There is no requirement for you to justify your decision to anyone. You may get a phone call or two trying to book an alternative appointment, but just firmly say no thank you.

sara

xxxxx

Just call up and cancel the appointment. There is no requirement for you to justify your decision to anyone. You may get a phone call or two trying to book an alternative appointment, but just firmly say no thank you.

thanks hun..i'm a little worried about the confrontation and the reaction of parents/inlaws !!! my baby my desicion tho !!!! gonna have a good read up on a few things n have a good chat to rob about it tonight :wacko:

sara

xxxxxxxxx

I spoke to the HV and the GP about why I was opting out of the vaccinations and had to sign a form so that they wouldn't keep sending me appointments.

I'm sure that most of these vaccinations can be given to adults. I will explain to Saf when she is older that she hasn't been immunised and why. If she then decides she wants to get jabbed, the choice will be hers.

sara

xxxxx

thanks hun..i'm a little worried about the confrontation and the reaction of parents/inlaws !!! my baby my desicion tho !!!! gonna have a good read up on a few things n have a good chat to rob about it tonight :wacko:

sara

xxxxxxxxx

Sara,
Like you say....your baby, your choice. Actually my doctor didn't really bat an eyelid when I told her. I think she's obviously heard it from many parents. If I was really cynical I might say that as an agent of the pharma companies with a remit from the government she knows the truth about vaccinations but is human enough not to push it on us ;)
I'm expecting more disapproval from family and friends to be honest, but I think if you are happy that your decision is the best one for you and your baby, you just have to be thick skinned. Many of the critics will not have even done any research. Their kids will just have been herded in because it's the done thing in most cases. It's not an easy choice but whatever decision we come to at least we have though it through and looked at all the options.

i am going ahead will all the vacinations for my son

I knew their were parents that opted out of vaccines ... but I never looked into it and the reasons WHY. Wow, that link was a real insight. Im guna have to give a second thought into following the footsteps of pretty much everyone around me.

Hello everyone, I too made an informed and conscientious decision not to vaccinate my daughter..I too am a product of non vaccination as are my entire family (2 brothers, 3 sisters, 22 neices and nephews, 3 great grand nephews) My entire family are also home birth advocates and holistic healers..it has caused a lot of speculation from health professionals in new zealand and here for myself in australia..Ive even been threatened with the prospect of child protective services taking my daughter..fortunately I had already informed myself of the laws that govern concientious, religious and medical decisions surrounding vaccination in australia..not even the prospect of gaining a few extra dollars could tempt me..I feel that once a parent is informed properly and depending on how they interpret the information..a decision should then be made..not being told we have to just because or be scared in to having them done because the doctor knows better..and rightly if my daughter decides when she's older that she wants to be vaccinated, by all means..luck to those still deciding

I had Dexter vaccinated and I wish I hadn't :( Future LO's won't be having vaccinations, and Dexter won't be having MMR.

Aisling has had all her vaccinations so far although we refused the swine flu one. The thing that has always stuck in my head is that DH wasn't vaccinated against whooping cough because there were fears about the safety of the vaccine at the time. He ended up with whooping cough as a baby and almost died. That's made me pretty wary about not giving Aisling hers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->