Vaccinations...

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
Im sure there are billions of threads on here about vaccinating your child, however, i need some reassurance or advice. I do NOT want this to turn into a vaccination debate (thats what has happened on most of the threads I've read, I know the risks associated with vaccinating your child and the risks of not vaccinating your child).

So, for those of you selectively vaccinating or not vaccinating at all how did you rest solid in your decision? The DH and i sat down and read a book (that was actually pro-vaccinations) but ironically enough, after we read the risks associated with each individual vaccine, we decided not to vaccinate. Some, it wasn't much bc of the risk but more bc, apparently you can get the virus either way, so why bother injecting a foreign substance into my baby if he's gonna get it anyways (like Ratovirus, for example, nearly everyone contracts it by age 5 no matter if they had the vaccine or not).

We did decide to get the Vitamin K shot (i know thats not a vaccine though), but even that we werent going to do. Thing is, once we sign off not having it at the hospital- we revoked our rights to getting it, so if we were to find out my LO were Jaundiced after leaving the hospital (which happens a lot) then we could be screwed over). With that said, we are gonna do Vit K (not the oral).

We have decided not to vaccinate our child after researching each shot. I would like to have him get the Purtussis (whopping cough) vaccine, but you have to get that with the Tetnus and Diptheria (they wont administer it separately here) and we didn't like the risks associate wtih D&T. New research is saying 80% babies that get whopping cough often get it from their parents. There is a new adult Pertussis vaccine, so the DH and i are going to get that.

Anywho, i know i am rambling here, I just feel stuck in the middle. In some ways, i see how vaccinating is good, but in many others i see how i dont like the risks associated with it. What if i dont get him vaccinated and something happens? What if i do get him vaccinated and something happens? So, what im asking is, how do i know im making the right choice? I know only my DH and i can do that, but i just need some reassurance i guess. What made you decided how you did? Oh yeah, im also BFing if that makes a difference. x

We chose to stop vaccinating my older boys and we don't vaccinate Hayden. He did have Hep b in the hospital because they got me at a weak time and as soon as I said no the nurse jumped all over me and I wasn't completely confident in my decision, I was worn out, Mark was at home and I gave in and gave it to him. Luckily he has showed no ill effects. But since then he has not had anything else. Anyways, for me I'm comfortable with it, they are very healthy kids and I believe if they were to come into contact with most of this they would be able to fight it off fine.

Me and Mark were sick recently, like really sick, horrible coughing fits, everything fit for Pertussis, we were never diagnosed so I can't say for sure but I'm about 95% sure that's what it was. It's been like 1.5mo now and I'm still having some coughing fits but luckily it's almost gone. Landon and Casen have had some of the vaccines for that one...but never finished the series, Hayden had none. None of them got sick. Hayden got a little cough, like nothing more than a cold type cough for a couple days and then it was gone.

I nursed him to 19mo when he weaned. And during that time and everytime since when all 3 of them get sick with something he is ALWAYS the first to recover, he is very rarely sick longer than 24-48hrs. He had some stuff that Landon and Casen had as babies too and again he was better much faster than them. I honestly believe his body was able to fight things off better than they were as babies because their body was in constant fight mode responding to the vaccines they were getting every 2mo. Of course I can't say for sure, they are diff kids, their immune systems are different, but I really think him not having the vaccines has benefitted him even more....he has a very strong immune system and nursing so long helped that too.

I'm not constantly scared of them getting sick because I know we do what we can, wash hands, eat healthy, etc and I think we do enough that they would be fine :)

You know that only you can decide whether you are happy or not.

My LO is having all the vaccinations. I am confident that our descision is right for us.

Maybe you just need a little bit more time. :hugs:

Thanks ladies :hugs:
I dont have much time though, so it is something that needs decided
Im pretty sure we are not gonna go with most vaccines, but i just want to know im making the right choice, even though no one can tell me that. Just looking for others experience i suppose x

Don't feel rushed, if you aren't comfortable with it now you can always delay and start them later on, don't think you have to have your decision made the day the baby is born. Just tell them you are delaying for now while you do more research...if they push it tell them to shove it. I wish I had!

haha, thanks doll :friends:
We are about 95% sure what we wanna do. Just hope my DH stays with me cuz i know i would give in when someone pressures me! lol

We looked into a delayed vaccination schedule, but a lot of the vaccines that are given, are for the first yr of life (not that they arnt for after that, but it seems thats when a baby is at most risk and if we wait till later, it really wouldn't serve its purpose)

At this point, i am just gonna trust in the Lord that if we dont get them, he will be okay. If we do get them, he will be okay.

Think the DH and I are going to get the Purtussis Vaccine & the Flu vaccine for ourself, at least that help a little (even though i usually dont get the flu vac anyways and havn't had it for many years). Then give Isaiah Vit K and be done with it.

Gonna BF as much as possible and trust that God will keep my LO safe. ... of course, i guess when it comes down to it...if everyone else has their child vaccinated (which for the most part they do), then the odds of him contracting something major isnt much lol..

Hey hon
DF and I are still in the decision making stage, we *think* we'll avoid most vaccines and perhaps use others selectivity.

Don't feel pressured tho, just because you LO is due soon doesn't mean you have to make a quick decision, in a lot of countries they don't start vaccine until bub is 12 months .. so you have plenty of time even if you do decide to use some vaccines.

Thats the stance we are taking, we're pretty sure of ourselves, but can relax in the knowledge that we will have 12 months after Boo is born to finalise and cement our decision :hugs:

we had said we would delay till 6m, but he's almost 8m now and hasnt had anything (except vit k at birth which we diidnt consent to)
Still undecided tbh. I have been leaning towards getting them but as you say some of them are most useful now! And if he had them now he may have more of a reaction and stress. OH doesnt want him to have any.

Thanks ladies :hugs: You've all be very helpful :friends:
Here they start vaccinations around 2 months -usually.
The more i talk to you fine ladies, the more confident i am in our choice.

Be prepared they will ask you in the hospital at Hep B, they start them at birth here...then 2mo they get their first set of like 4-5 at a time.

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder! I forgot about that one :dohh:
The DH and i did discuss that and we are saying "No" to that one for sure.
They do it right at birth here too. I personally dont see the need for my child to have it as, at this point, he isn't at risk for it. I dont have it and neither does DH (if that even matters) so why bother :shrug: I figure when Isaiah decides to be sexually active, then he can decide to get the Hep B shot, prior to that- there really isn't a reason for it :nope:...it would be like giving him the HPV shot series (if he were a she lol). to me thats stupid bc its not like hes going to be doing the dirty for a very long time :haha:
We are also not doing the eye drops at birth for the same reason. Apparently, children used to go blind bc of the bacteria in the vaginia that got into their eyes. This bacteria is normally only present in women who have certain STDs. Well i have never had an STD and i know i dont now, nor has my DH ever had one, so im not bothering with that either.

Me and my DH still haven't decided what we are going to do. Part of me doesn't want to vaccinate and part of me does. I've done all the research and was hoping I'd know when he arrived, but I'm still torn.

Like you we got the vit k but we declined the eye ointment. I agree with everyone, don't feel rushed to make your decision. Until you know what you want to do you can delay your shots.

Did you know they are now recommending that HPV vaccine (guardasil) for boys too?

Did you know they are now recommending that HPV vaccine (guardasil) for boys too?

I remember hearing talk that they were trying to figure out how to make it for boys. Thats nuts. Rumor has it the males normally are the ones to pass it on...but idk about that. Im sure the Gardisil vaccine is good and all, and i know its been in the works (preliminary research) for a few years now, but i have to wonder if ppl are going to end up with some major disease or cancer when all of these 12 year olds are 70. Maybe im wrong, but it is scary.

the one book that we read on vaccines, had a recommendation for getting the Gardisil series at age 12. In fact, it suggested that the CDC was looking into giving it to a baby, but hasnt made the final decision :shock: A baby?!?!!? :shock: im sorry, but that is rediculous!

Agreed! I have read about quite a few deaths and many bad reactions to that vaccine, never would give it even if we still did some vaccines. There are some vaccines we would consider when the boys are older...such as chicken pox because it is more dangerous when you are older so if they haven't had it by then we might do it then...but I would also intentionally expose them to get them to have it naturally

Exactly.
I never had the chicken pox...neither did my 3 sisters and 1 one brother. (we didn't have the vaccine either). But somehow i managed to get exposed to it enough to have immunities, but never actually got sick :shrug: when i first found out i was pregnant, they ran a test to make sure i was immune and if i wasnt they were gonna give me the shot. The test said i was immune. So, apparently you can come into contact with it, build immunties, and never actually get sick with it...hey im okay with that! LOL that has also been the case with my brother, my dh (he never had it either), and my sisters. So maybe we can be more immune to something (naturally) than we thought :shrug:

I couldn't believe when I found out that they were recommending the HPV vaccine for boys too!

Yeah there are ads in the parenting magazines and everything now....ridiculous IMO

Yeah I'll def have the boys tested to be sure they didn't some how get immunities without getting sick...if they don't get it. I'm curious if Hayden somehow has built up immunity to pertussis. Since I'm so sure that's what we had and he's never had the vaccine and somehow didn't get sick yet I know of 4 adults who got it, me and Mark included...not sure if more in Mark's bosses family got it but I know him and his wife had it

You should see the commercials they have out here now for whooping cough, they are about as scare mongering as it gets. I would definitely be interested in testing Kaiden later in life to see if he's immune to things before getting certain vaccines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->