Vanishing Twin - Anyone else?

I had that happen to me!

Back in 2005 we got pregnant in September. I got BFP in Oct. We were planning our wedding and got married in November. On our wedding night, i had bleeding and went to ER. We were told " Its twins!!" but " One will not likely make it, maybe both, we cant say for sure at this point". That was 8wks. Then when i went in at 17w, the twin has passed away in that time and was gone.

We later found out he was a boy and even though DD1 never met him, she is 8 and DOES know she had a twin who passed away. :hugs:

can I ask how you found out he was a boy? :flower:

Testing on him after

In my case, the one week discrepancy was a concern because we knew the exact moment of fertilization of both eggs, at the same time, and the exact gestational age of each embryo. The only variable was implantation. Logically, they should be growing at around the same rate. A few days here or there based on measurements wouldn't be abnormal, but a week's difference, and 9 days behind the actual gestational age did not look promising for baby A's survival at the time.

Did you do IVF?

We did IUI, so I knew there was a chance of multiples (we had three mature follicles). But we have sperm issues, so we were really going for a long shot of getting one good one, let alone two!

We did, which is why there was so little guess work involved other than implantation and I'm convinced the wee little one implanted much later as I had some spotting 3 days before my first HCG blood test.

I understand the doctor wanting to be realistic with you about the second one, but I'm a little surprised he considered it to have no hope. IUI would still need to consider the possibility of fertilization on different days and varied implantation that could account for differences in growth and size.

I don't want to get your hopes up (or alternately increase your worries), but I would consider a 6+2 week scan too soon to definitively call anything. When is your next scan?

Next scan is next Friday, I'll be 8 weeks, 2 days then. There is a part of me that think it might catch up, but another part of me doesn't. The smaller sac was fuzzy on the edges, making it seem like it was already getting absorbed. I'll just have to wait and see!

I currently have twins and I constantly worry that I will lose one or both. My 8wks scan had to strong heartbeats which I was relieved about. At 5wks I had an early scan and there were 2 yolk sacs but the second one was in a position where it was hard to see, but b was looking good and she said it had a hb., the doctor told me not to get to excited about the other. Of course now I am excited but terrified too.

What I find most interesting about some of the post is the 1 week discrepancy concern. My "a" or little one is a week behind and has been the entire time thus far. Baby a so far has still been developing regardless of the 1 week discrepancy and was looking good. My doctor was not concerned about them being a week apart. I have identical twins. I have read about many giving birth to twins that are a week or week + a few apart in growth.

Anyways I had mixed feelings about it when I first found out, but I am now extremely excited. I feel like it's a bit of a roller coaster when you weren't expecting it. I actually was hoping for one so I wasn't so sure when I first found out. I am not a very religious person but I feel like it was a blessing from above now. I hope it works out for you.

I've no idea why my little one was written off then... I assumed because they were identical and they're not growing at the same rate the doctors knew little one WOULDNT catch up because they don't, but if yours are a week apart and identical then maybe there is hope!? At 6 week 3 day scan big one was on track but they said little one looked like it had stopped growing at 5week 3 days roughly... But no HB.

They didn't really explain it just said ones where they'd expect it to be and ones not. Mine had two yolk sacs in one gest sac visible at 4 weeks and something days... are yours the same? Sorry for all the questions, first glimmer of hope I've had to hold onto. :hugs: x

I had a vanishing twin at 9 weeks with my first pregnancy. It was definitely hard because there's a lot of emotion! Hang in there!!

Hi hun, I personally havnt been in your situation but my mum had a vanishing twin and so did my brother, i think its more common than we realise. :hugs:
hope your ok xx

I had a vanishing twin in my first pregmancy in 2012.

Found out at my routine 12 week scan. There was an empty sac and a lambda sign which they said was in keeping with early demise of a twin.

Had mixed emotions at the time, and it also caused worry about the remaining baby. All was fine though.

I still think about it now. I think it is quite common.

Hi Hun really praying for you, any update on your scan yet? Fx both babies are doing superb xx

Thanks cherrished, no scan yet, it's next Friday. Not sure which TWW was longer, this or before I knew I was pg!

I'm feeling better about it lately, I was meditating earlier this week and told the smaller baby if he/she needed to go, I would let him/her go. It made me feel a bit better in allowing myself to process what was happening.

had a scan today as I had to go in for IV fluids due to mild HG. Saw that twin b is nearly entirely absorbed. So it's confirmed, vanishing twin. Our survivor is healthy, nice strong hb.

Hey Hun, so sorry about twin B was really praying baby would catch up :( also it's fab news that your little bean is healthy and strong and you got to hear heart beat xX

I'm glad to hear your little one is healthy and strong!

So sorry to heart that, I had confirmation on Monday that my little one has gone also :( glad we've both got on strong baby... PM me if you need to talk. Xxx

Sorry to hear about your loss but at least the other baby is healthy. H&H 9 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->