Vanishing Twin - Anyone else?

daydream

Reaction score
We had our 6 wk 2 day scan on Friday, very thrilled to see a beautiful baby right on track with a perfect little heartbeat. The unexpected part of the scan was seeing a 5 week embryo in a smaller sac with no heartbeat. I was a bit in shock as twins wasn't exactly what I was hoping for (more like was terrified of it since we already have 1 son). Our dr said this one didn't look viable and probably wouldn't have even been seen had we gotten our scan a week later. I was relieved to hear that at the time.

Now however, thinking about it over the past couple days, I'm feeling very torn. It's sad to think that the little one isn't going to make it and that I could have been carrying two babies. Also to think that this baby (assuming all goes well FX) will grow up never having known its twin. I'm normally very logical and not religious, so in my logical mind I know that if this baby doesn't catch up it's for a reason and it wasn't healthy. But strangely enough now there's a part of me that has hope when we go in two weeks that this baby will have caught up! I'm just shocked at myself for even thinking this.

Anyone else able to identify with these feelings at all? This is such a strange situation to be in. The last thing I would have expected.

Also strange, last week I had a dream that I went for my scan and the imaging was super clear (kind of like the babycenter ticker images) and I had two healthy embryos and one that didn't develop. It's so weird to put the pieces together after the fact, but it's as if I knew??

I had that happen to me!

Back in 2005 we got pregnant in September. I got BFP in Oct. We were planning our wedding and got married in November. On our wedding night, i had bleeding and went to ER. We were told " Its twins!!" but " One will not likely make it, maybe both, we cant say for sure at this point". That was 8wks. Then when i went in at 17w, the twin has passed away in that time and was gone.

We later found out he was a boy and even though DD1 never met him, she is 8 and DOES know she had a twin who passed away. :hugs:

Oh wow I can't imagine going that long before knowing if the twins had made it! I'm sorry for your loss, that's great that you got to find out it was a boy! :hugs:

Wow that must be such a difficult bunch of emotions. :hugs:

Thanks Tally, yes it's definitely thrown me for a loop

Sort of a similar scenario and I know how you're feeling.

I found out there were 2 at my scan at 7+2 but the doctor was not optimistic twin A would make it as it was measuring a week behind. It was a really long and stressful next 2 weeks not knowing what was going on, but at my scan at 9+2, the wee little fighter had almost caught up and was only a few days behind, both of them with strong, healthy heartbeats.

I'm still on edge waiting for my next scan at 12+2 to see how things are. I am constantly worried!

Anyway, my husband and I talked a lot when we first found out, because we totally hadn't wanted or expected this (I had zero signs or symptoms at the time). It was a confusing time coming to grips with this could happen, and realizing that no matter what, we couldn't help but wish and hope they'd both keep fighting strong and make it.

I am in a very unique situation like this too. I was PG this summer with twins then I lost one. In the end I most the second one too, but this was related to an undiagnosed medical condition.

I got PG again this time and it was going to be triplets, but there is only one baby and 2 empty gestational sacks.

I am really struggling with my feelings around this. I feel such a great loss over the twins and it feels that being PG with only one baby this time does not make up for what could have been with the twins.

I totally understand your feelings of loss over something that really had not grown enough to actually exist.

Anyone else able to identify with these feelings at all? This is such a strange situation to be in. The last thing I would have expected.

Also strange, last week I had a dream that I went for my scan and the imaging was super clear (kind of like the babycenter ticker images) and I had two healthy embryos and one that didn't develop. It's so weird to put the pieces together after the fact, but it's as if I knew??

I had exactly the same thing - I went for an early scan and there was two yolk sacs in one gestationsl sac (Identical twins). We were scared but excited and they said that at this stage they can't say whether one would be ok or both but booked me for a scan three weeks later. 10 days in u have some spotting and was referred, spotting was unrelated but one twin hadn't grown a HB, other looked bang on for 6 weeks 3 days. I have to go back in 4 days and see if "little one" (as my husband calls it) has caught up with "big one" but have been warned with identical a its very unlikely they'd develop at this different a timescale and almost always you'll not see any development or no twin at all.

It's gutting - even though practically twins wouldn't have been ideal, when it's offered to you then taken away I feel kind of robbed so I know how you feel. :hugs: xxx

I can't really relate hun as not ever been in this situation I just hope that, the little bean is a fighter and I wish you all the best hun really praying for fab news when you next go, xx

I had that happen to me!

Back in 2005 we got pregnant in September. I got BFP in Oct. We were planning our wedding and got married in November. On our wedding night, i had bleeding and went to ER. We were told " Its twins!!" but " One will not likely make it, maybe both, we cant say for sure at this point". That was 8wks. Then when i went in at 17w, the twin has passed away in that time and was gone.

We later found out he was a boy and even though DD1 never met him, she is 8 and DOES know she had a twin who passed away. :hugs:

can I ask how you found out he was a boy? :flower:

I currently have twins and I constantly worry that I will lose one or both. My 8wks scan had to strong heartbeats which I was relieved about. At 5wks I had an early scan and there were 2 yolk sacs but the second one was in a position where it was hard to see, but b was looking good and she said it had a hb., the doctor told me not to get to excited about the other. Of course now I am excited but terrified too.

What I find most interesting about some of the post is the 1 week discrepancy concern. My "a" or little one is a week behind and has been the entire time thus far. Baby a so far has still been developing regardless of the 1 week discrepancy and was looking good. My doctor was not concerned about them being a week apart. I have identical twins. I have read about many giving birth to twins that are a week or week + a few apart in growth.

Anyways I had mixed feelings about it when I first found out, but I am now extremely excited. I feel like it's a bit of a roller coaster when you weren't expecting it. I actually was hoping for one so I wasn't so sure when I first found out. I am not a very religious person but I feel like it was a blessing from above now. I hope it works out for you.

I currently have twins and I constantly worry that I will lose one or both. My 8wks scan had to strong heartbeats which I was relieved about. At 5wks I had an early scan and there were 2 yolk sacs but the second one was in a position where it was hard to see, but b was looking good and she said it had a hb., the doctor told me not to get to excited about the other. Of course now I am excited but terrified too.

What I find most interesting about some of the post is the 1 week discrepancy concern. My "a" or little one is a week behind and has been the entire time thus far. Baby a so far has still been developing regardless of the 1 week discrepancy and was looking good. My doctor was not concerned about them being a week apart. I have identical twins. I have read about many giving birth to twins that are a week or week + a few apart in growth.

Anyways I had mixed feelings about it when I first found out, but I am now extremely excited. I feel like it's a bit of a roller coaster when you weren't expecting it. I actually was hoping for one so I wasn't so sure when I first found out. I am not a very religious person but I feel like it was a blessing from above now. I hope it works out for you.

In my case, the one week discrepancy was a concern because we knew the exact moment of fertilization of both eggs, at the same time, and the exact gestational age of each embryo. The only variable was implantation. Logically, they should be growing at around the same rate. A few days here or there based on measurements wouldn't be abnormal, but a week's difference, and 9 days behind the actual gestational age did not look promising for baby A's survival at the time.

In my case, the one week discrepancy was a concern because we knew the exact moment of fertilization of both eggs, at the same time, and the exact gestational age of each embryo. The only variable was implantation. Logically, they should be growing at around the same rate. A few days here or there based on measurements wouldn't be abnormal, but a week's difference, and 9 days behind the actual gestational age did not look promising for baby A's survival at the time.

I don't know my exact info. Other then the date the egg was fertilized. Mine came from the same egg and split. I figured they should be equal because that makes sense but I ve been told in my case it's ok, but obviously different than yours. I don't know a lot as this is new to me, but it's interesting and I like learning. I am glad that your little one is catching up. I wish you all the best with both of yours!!

Sort of a similar scenario and I know how you're feeling.

I found out there were 2 at my scan at 7+2 but the doctor was not optimistic twin A would make it as it was measuring a week behind. It was a really long and stressful next 2 weeks not knowing what was going on, but at my scan at 9+2, the wee little fighter had almost caught up and was only a few days behind, both of them with strong, healthy heartbeats.

I'm still on edge waiting for my next scan at 12+2 to see how things are. I am constantly worried!

Anyway, my husband and I talked a lot when we first found out, because we totally hadn't wanted or expected this (I had zero signs or symptoms at the time). It was a confusing time coming to grips with this could happen, and realizing that no matter what, we couldn't help but wish and hope they'd both keep fighting strong and make it.

Oh yes very similar! I hope at your next scan you get the answer. I'm not sure which is the hardest, the loss or just being in limbo until you know for sure. :hugs:

TTC First - :hugs: to you! I'm sorry for your losses. I hope this little one grows big and strong for you.

It's gutting - even though practically twins wouldn't have been ideal, when it's offered to you then taken away I feel kind of robbed so I know how you feel. :hugs: xxx

Exactly!! :hugs:

koifish - that's good to know, I hope both your little beans grow healthy for the rest of your pregnancy :hugs:

Did you do IVF?

We did IUI, so I knew there was a chance of multiples (we had three mature follicles). But we have sperm issues, so we were really going for a long shot of getting one good one, let alone two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->