Vanishing Twin or Hidden Twin?

Charmed86

Reaction score
I am driving myself mad & can't let myself properly grieve until I have conclusive proof. I went for an early scan at 4-5wks as was having some bleeding and cramping. My GP wanted to rule out ectopic. The sonographer saw a gestational sac & yolk. They asked me back 2 weeks later to check for viability. The sonographer picked up one baby really quickly and easily, but then noticed another flicker. She had to search around, but found a second baby. One was measuring at 6+3 & the other at 6wks. By my dates (using FF) I was at least 6+6 that day. I had some more bleeding this wk, nothing extreme, but I wanted my mind to be put to ease. So the midwife referred me for another scan, the sonographer only saw one baby this time, measuring 9+4 (ahead of the dates they gave me previously, so had caught up with my dates). She said she couldn't see the other baby, but there could be remains or something behind the first one?

My DH was devastated, but I just can't cry over the loss.. I think because I don't believe the baby has really gone! They were so close together in the first scan (definitely modi, possibly momo), so I'm wondering what the chances are that they were side by side or something & the second one was hidden? The woman said she saw something, but couldn't find another heartbeat.. but I guess she wouldn't if it was hidden? Because I'd lost a small clot, she just assumed I'd passed the second baby.

I want to go for a private scan to make sure of what's actually happened. I'm 10wks today & I've got over 3wks to wait for my NT scan on the NHS.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Am I just in denial? Would I be better off waiting until 12wks when the private clinic can do a 4D scan? How thorough are the private scans? I refuse to believe the baby has gone, I don't think he has!

Id say at that far along,they would be able to see the other one, so its probably gone :( I had the same happen, 2 weeks ago there were two, few days ago just the one.

20% of twin pregnancies end up with a vanishing twin. It happened to my mum. I'm sorry lovely. I hope the baby does reappear :hugs:

Hi there, at my 9 weeks scan, we were able to see them side by side Since they were big enough. I think for your peace of mind a private scan is a good option. I know I'd do it if it's me. I am not sure how thorough is the private scan in UK since I'm in the US. But my sister just had a private scan yesterday and they were pretty thorough. At least 15 minutes of pictures and scan at various positions. Good luck! I hope they could find the second baby :hugs:

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to see if I can get a private scan this week to confirm the loss. I just feel as though the scan last week was so rushed, the sonographer wasn't very thorough. She even said there could have been something behind the baby, but she couldn't see a heartbeat.. But would she see a heartbeat if the other baby was in front? I don't really know how u/s work, what if this happens again? Can a 3d/4d u/s be more conclusive? I'm hoping to book in with Babybond, see if they can see any more.

Also, the sonographer said I have a tilted uterus, which is news to me! Was never mentioned before, but I understand it can make things more difficult to see.

If you think it would bring you answers and peace/closure maybe you should see babybond. Its what I would do x

I had a scan at 9 weeks which it was clear on mine to see both babies (I have 2 placentas but fused so babies are very close together)

I think unless you go for the private scan you are just going to think about it for the next 3 weeks and at least you will have a firm answer as stranger things have happened x

When I was pregnant with DD, a user on here had a twin missed right up until a 28 week growth scan

I think another scan would help put your mind at ease. I have heard stories of twins not being discovered until a later date, especially due to tilted uterus, although this is very rare. Good luck with your scan. Xxx

I understand how you feel, I had a triplet on my first scan that was gone at 9 weeks.

So sorry to hear this. I think if it was me I would want to know for sure and would prob go private for a scan as your not going to be able to think of anything else for the next 3 weeks xx

I've got an appointment on Weds morning, wish me luck! I think it will be helpful either way to know. Whether it's closure so I can grieve, or confirmation that they're both in there!

I had a vanishing identical twin with this pregnancy (very early - they saw the fetal pole with no HB then saw the remains of it next scan so conclusively said it was gone... Confirmed at 8 weeks and at 12 weeks.) at 8 weeks it had completely vanished without a trace so was nothing left that could have been misconstrued as a hiding twin... I wouldn't have been able to settle had they only said maybe, would have paid for a private scan to confirm. Good luck at the scan, keeping Fingers crossed for you!

Hopefully everything is fine but as you say either way it will put your mind at rest. Xx

I can totally understand wanting to know for sure, so I think going for a private scan before your 12 week scan is a good idea. It must be horrible not knowing for sure what has happened and whether or not you can celebrate or grieve. Good luck if you choose to have a private scan, hopefully the twin was just hidden.

Thank you all for your kind replies. We went for the private scan this morning & they confirmed that I lost the twin. They were so lovely though & it's nice to have some closure. Our surviving baby is looking great & was bouncing around for us! Baby is measuring at 10+3, which is spot on for my dates :)

I'm so sorry you lost your baby but so happy you have a healthy and happy baby in there :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->