VBAC with small gap?

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Me and df will be ttc number 2 in a couple of months as we would like an 18-24 month age gap between our children ideally.
We would also like the option open for a third child in the future and so rather than have an ELCS I would like to try vbac (I am getting ahead of myself a little I know lol).

But with only possibly an 18 month gap I was wondering if anyone else has attempted a vbac with such a small gap, or even smaller! And what their experiences were. Of course I know that each woman an pregnancy is different and it may be that my doctors won't let me vbac (I had high bp and suspected pre-e at 39 weeks last time so was induced and she ended up back to back and her brow got stuck so EMCS). I didn't mind the c section itself but baby being in distress was awful so I am unsure what I'd like to do.

Anyone got any stories they can share to help me get an idea of what chances of successful vbac might be with a small gap between births?

Hi there are 51 weeks between my daughter (emcs) and son. I ended up having a elective c-section due to him being back to back and towards the end my scar was getting sore so it was thought best to go for an elective c-section but up until that point the doctors were quite happy to let me try for a vbac. Obviously it depends on whether u will be classed as high risk or not but what I'm trying to say is that even though I didn't get my vbac the doctors were supportive of me doing so right up to me being 36 weeks when my situation changed xx

Thanks Brady, that's good that they were supportive of a vbac then! I hope my doctors are supportive and don't just go straight to the idea of ELCS. If there's a reason why they think ELCS would be better I will be fine with it but don't want them to just dismiss the idea of a vbac!

I had an emcs this morning and already asked the Dr what happens with the next baby. He said if there's an 18m+ gap the risks of a vbac are much lower and 90% are successful.

I have a friend who had a VBAC with her second and it's a 11 month difference in age, she then vbac-ed with her third which is a 26 month difference between 2-3.

Thanks ladies and congratulations steph! Hope you and baby are well!

I was induced with my son at 36+4 and ended up having a section because he got distressed. he's now 7 and a half months and i'm 20 weeks pregnant, so they'll be exactly a year difference if this baby arrives on due date. I know they say to have at least an 18 month to 2 year age having a section to give you the best chance of a vbac. but seeing though you had a section you should be seeing a consultant or someone at a vbac clinic who will know the best course of action. I think for a vbac might be out of the question because of the small age gap.

There will be a 22 month age gap between mine and I was given a 60% change of a successful vbac. And I was told I am a perfect candidate and have my doctor's full support for trying, she actually brought it up.

Oh and I was told that they do up to four c sections comfortably. And the risk only rises slightly with the fifth. I specifically asked because we want a large family.

Thanks ladies!

Eccleston yeah I've heard that 3-4 c sections they tend to allow I think I just don't want to risk any complications that could cause fertility issues or anything. I know it's a small tiny chance that another c section could prevent us having a third child but I'm a worrier lol so I'd rather try and have that vbac. Although saying that there are also related risks with vbac that could do the same thing lol so I suppose it may not matter which I choose, just have to hope it all goes smoothly either way!

I just had a successful vbac with a 17 1/2 month gap. My son didn't progress after an hour of pushing, got distressed so I had an emcs. He was 9lbs 2oz and just wasn't coming out the natural way.

This time baby was 7lbs 9oz and came after a nice, quick, drug free labour.

Totally possible and if you can do it, so worth it! Best of luck x

Congratulations Wilsey! And glad to see it can have the positive outcome we all hope for!

Did you have to be monitored a lot? I've heard that in the UK they will monitor you a lot for a vbac (ie with the monitors on your belly) which makes it hard to move about and have an active labour which is what I'd like. I know I won't be able to have a water birth but at least be able to move off the bed as last time I hated having to stay lying down!

Congratulations Wilsey! And glad to see it can have the positive outcome we all hope for!

Did you have to be monitored a lot? I've heard that in the UK they will monitor you a lot for a vbac (ie with the monitors on your belly) which makes it hard to move about and have an active labour which is what I'd like. I know I won't be able to have a water birth but at least be able to move off the bed as last time I hated having to stay lying down!

I was monitored but exactly like I was last time, so nothing special or additional. I laboured on my back last time and this time I laboured the first 45 mins on all fours then turned to be on my back and got to see her come out!

I think they make the cords long enough so you can move around. I was just to lazy to move around haha ;)

Hi our first birth stories sound very similar! I was also induced at 39 weeks due to pre eclampsia last time. I had a very quick induction and got to fully dilated but he was back to back and I couldn't push him out.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and if this baby comes on time the age difference will be 18 months. My consultant offered me VBAC from the start. She hasn't mentioned that it's less successful with a smaller gap actually. Do you know why that is? I'm really keen for a VBAC. I'm on aspirin this time because of the high BP at the end last time but that's all that's different. I'm desperate not to get pre eclampsia again!!

Hi boo! I've heard that with pre-e so late on it tends to be the case that you don't get it 2nd time so fingers crossed for us both! Are you in the UK? It's good that they have you on aspirin to prevent the raised bp then! They never confirmed pre-e with me, but my bp raised quite high and my hands and feet had swollen over night as well as having protein in my urine so they decided to induce as it was close to due date anyway to be safe.
I hope you manage to get your vbac Hun, you'll have to keep me up to date on how you go! I didn't really mind having a c section to be honest last time, it was the emergency part of it I didn't like, that my lg was in distress. The actual surgery I was fine with, and relieved they were finally getting my lg out!
I really would love a vbac though!

I read somewhere, I think it was a UK based site, that the cartiledge that heals all wounds (like a C-section scar) peaks at around 40-something days, and then your body doesn't make any more, or something. For the life of me I can't find that again.

Anyway, it might be slightly riskier, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to attempt a VBAC. I was worried I might be pregnant, with a 15 month age gap...turns out I'm most likely not, although with the lack of AF it's harder to tell. I was researching HBAC!

Well I've just found out I am pregnant again (was a complete surptise as we only dtd once when I thought we were well clear of O!!) so I'm taking it this baby was meant to be. Not counting my chickens yet so to speak as its still really early, but if all goes ok then there will be a 16 month age gap so will just have to see what my consultant says. For some reason if I had waited another couple of months I would have felt more confident about going for vbac but now the gap might only be 16 months I am not so sure....

I think for a 16 month age gap you can attempt a VBAC.
i'm pretty sure the consultant won't even let me have a VBAC as there will only be 12 months between my 2. due on feb 28th which is also my son's first birthday. i'm actually quite scared of the idea of a VBAC with such small gap.

i'm pretty sure the consultant won't even let me have a VBAC as there will only be 12 months between my 2. due on feb 28th which is also my son's first birthday. i'm actually quite scared of the idea of a VBAC with such small gap.

I know your quite scared so it's fine, but you shouldn't have to worry if your doctor will "let you" do anything. They can recommend, but they can't make you do or not do anything. If your doctor uses phrases like "allow you to" or "let you" or "won't let you", you might consider another doctor. They can and should only "recommend" and "strongly recommend". :flower:

I know your quite scared so it's fine, but you shouldn't have to worry if your doctor will "let you" do anything. They can recommend, but they can't make you do or not do anything. If your doctor uses phrases like "allow you to" or "let you" or "won't let you", you might consider another doctor. They can and should only "recommend" and "strongly recommend". :flower:

oh that's good to hear, I would like to have the choice, going to looking into pros and cons tonight, even though im actually scared of a VBAC, might be because I had to have a section before even getting fully dilated.

oh that's good to hear, I would like to have the choice, going to looking into pros and cons tonight, even though im actually scared of a VBAC, might be because I had to have a section before even getting fully dilated.

Yeah, I had to have a section before going fully dilated too. I was induced at 33+5 though, and wasn't able to move around during labor. I didn't have any pain meds and it was bearable though, like just annoying and tiring, not too painful, so I figure if I was able to move around and do something to help labor progress and help with pain I should have no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->