Veda for a girl..

MattieT

Reaction score
We really love the name Veda. Pronounced "Vay-da". It means sacred knowledge. We feel it will age well. Pretty and not frilly. Sounds exotic and uncommon, yet a legit name with long history. What are your opinions on the name?

I like it. But I have to admit that when I read how it's pronounced, my first association was Darth Vader. With another two Star Wars films in the pipeline just now, she might have to deal with that nickname from other kids..

Same as above, when I read it as Veeda it def did sound lovely and different but the pronunciation of vadar might cause teasing with the star wars films.

I'm not a fan sorry, I think the V sounds quite harsh sounding on a girl, just my personal taste though

I like it. No association with Darth Vader here but I think the 'a' is more prominent with my accent than in the UK.

My first and only association with Veda/Vada is My Girl. :)

As a name it is very pretty, however, as others have said it will make a lot of people think Star Wars.

I love it and never think of the darth funnily enough. I have friend who called her black boy dog vader and it always bugged me that he was a boy, because to me it's a girls name. You know Veda from My Girl 😊 I think it's very pretty without being overly girly, and will suit fomg birth to adulthood

Wasn't the little girl on My Girl?? I loved that movie growing up.

Probably not much significance but in Nnorthern Ireland, Veda is a type of malt bread

I think it's beautiful but hubby said no!

I think it's pretty, it's definitely a name I would have considered had we been having a girl. It reminds me of the film my girl which I love :)

I love it! Also like Vesper which is kind of similar, if you wanted to swap out Star Wars references for scooter ones.

I love it! Vada was one of my top choices if this LO is a girl, and I have a family friend with a little girl named Vada. I've never associated it with Star Wars, either!

I had this on my girls list too and got the same comments about Darth Vader which I'd never had thought of as it seems far fetched to me. Where I live (NE USA) I don't come across many people who purposely add an -R sound at the end of vowel words. I actually see more of the opposite as in "car" becomes "cah" lol

I love the name!

I love it and as others have said, associate it with the film "My Girl."

I think it's more commonly spelled "Vada."

One comment about the Darth Vader associations, we don't know where OP is based but bear in mind that in the United States, Veda/ Vada is not pronounced the same as [Darth] Vader. In the UK, they are pronounced the same.

I'd pronounce Veda and Vader the same in New Zealand also, but do love the name, it's fantastic!

My association was with the girl from My Girl, too!

I'm from NI too so instantly thought of the bread lol but it is a very local thing.

Personally I thought of Vader too but as pp have said it depends on your accent.

In the movie My Girl, the spelling is Vada, which might help people to pronounce it the way you want it to be pronounced.

This name was on our list before we were even TTC. Then, the Star Wars movie was coming out, so we decided against it.

I do love it, but I would be so sick of people and their Darth Vader jokes and jibes. We live in Australia, so Vada and Vader are pronounced exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->