Vegetarian combined folic acid and omega for pg

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
Can anybody suggest any combined TTC/pregnancy VEGETARIAN supplements containing both folic acid and omega? I'm struggling to find anything that doesn't contain fish oil.

Many thanks

I couldn't find anything on a quick Google... Could you take a vegetarian multivitamin which doesn't have omega (assuming you're after 3 and 6?) and then take a separate capsule. You could get flaxseed instead of fish oils. Or does it absolutely have to be an all in one?

No it doesn't have to be an all in one, just easier I guess. Also often a lot cheaper to get a combination.

This is true. Although you can get flaxseed oil quite cheaply on Ebay :)

This is true. Although you can get flaxseed oil quite cheaply on Ebay :)

Actually flaxseed is not recommended during pg. National Institutes of Med (US) says this: "Flaxseed can act like the hormone estrogen. Some healthcare providers worry that this might harm the pregnancy, although to date there is no reliable clinical evidence about the effects of flaxseed on pregnancy outcomes. The effect of flaxseed on breast-fed infants is unknown at this time. Stay on the safe side, and don’t use flaxseed if you are pregnant or breast-feeding."

That doesn't apply to ALL omega sources, just flaxseed. Bit of a bummer, because like you say flaxseed oil is pretty cheap. Viridian do a special pg omega oil, but from what I remember last time around it tastes pretty scary :wacko:

Aah, darn, sorry :blush:

I just remember looking for non-fish based omegas at one point, and being recommended flaxseed. Apologies, I didn't know it wasn't recommended in pregnancy!

Sounds like there's a niche in the market there, if you can find a good substitute ;)

Aah, darn, sorry :blush:

I just remember looking for non-fish based omegas at one point, and being recommended flaxseed. Apologies, I didn't know it wasn't recommended in pregnancy!

Sounds like there's a niche in the market there, if you can find a good substitute ;)

No worries at all - don't apologise - you weren't to know :)

when I was pregnant I used vitabiotics, pregnacare original. They are veggie and not tested on animals, the same company may do some TTC tablets too. xx

edit- just looked on their website and they do these tablets that are veggie. Good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->