• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

very low AMH is it all over?

Suki- my FS put me on DHEA for low egg reserve which is what low AMH is, my IVF cycle in Oct first time I had 3 follies on my left side and none on my right side, we had to cancel..she upped my dose and I had 5 or 6 follies on my left and 1 on my right in total and she retrieved 3 eggs..2 fertilised but didn't amount to anything and 1 did not fertilise. I had researched low egg reserve and read some studies on DHEA and decided to go ahead and order some. I had to order it from the UK as it isn't available here.

Started taking it, found a FS at my clinic that specializes in low egg reserve and low AMH. We went to the appointment and he told us there was something he wanted to try and was called DHEA, he had a chemist in the city that would make the capsules for his patients..anyway I told him I had already started DHEA a month before and when he did the scan I had 3 follies on my right side and 3-4 on my left which was a huge improvement for me because that was a natural cycle.

There are lots of options for ladies with low AMH but as FS told us they aren't standard options I'll need a protocol that works best for me and my body. We go back on Jan 3rd and we'll find out when we're starting IVF again. It might be a stimmed cycle or it might be a natural IVF cycle not sure but it doesn't really matter if it works :) AMH levels can also go up and down so 1 result isn't necessarily a true result and AMH is only about 70% reliable...can you find a FS that is a bit more willing to help you?

We can only use known donors here, which prevents women from donating and then makes it immpossible to get a donor. Its also illegal to advertise for a donor here in Victoria so that limits things yet again. DH and I have discussed egg donors but because I've just turned 37 I want to give this new FS a chance as we have a little time to play with. If he doesn't work out then we'll be saving to go overseas for an egg donor :)

Happy holidays everyone, and lots of baby dust for 2012.
Crystal, I was wondering the dhea dose you take. I have decided to start myself on it because my FS was'nt sure if it was okay.

PollyJo, from my research the recommended dose is no more than 75mg a day of DHEA.

PollyJo, from my research the recommended dose is no more than 75mg a day of DHEA.

Thanks Love. I guess I am hypersensitive to it, as to a lot of medications :(. I started taking at first 25 mg in the morning on the 23rd of this month. AF came on 22nd; it seemed okay. Made it to 25 +25 mg twice a day; developed some heart palpitations; so decreased it to 25 again on 25th; a little uneasiness, turned it down to 12.5 mg (cut the tab in half) yesterday (26th), and I could'nt sleep all night long.... fell asleep some early hours. I also seem to have developed increased hot flashes last 2 nights (I seem to have something like that a few times toward the end of my cycle I noticed since a couple of months now), with some creepy-burning sorta sensation down the back. I can't see my doc until Jan I s'pose because it's the holidays (I will try though). In the meanwhile I guess I should stop DHEA, which is a bummer because I was hoping it would help with the egg quality.
Do any of you have had any side effects?

Thanks Love. I guess I am hypersensitive to it, as to a lot of medications :(. I started taking at first 25 mg in the morning on the 23rd of this month. AF came on 22nd; it seemed okay. Made it to 25 +25 mg twice a day; developed some heart palpitations; so decreased it to 25 again on 25th; a little uneasiness, turned it down to 12.5 mg (cut the tab in half) yesterday (26th), and I could'nt sleep all night long.... fell asleep some early hours. I also seem to have developed increased hot flashes last 2 nights (I seem to have something like that a few times toward the end of my cycle I noticed since a couple of months now), with some creepy-burning sorta sensation down the back. I can't see my doc until Jan I s'pose because it's the holidays (I will try though). In the meanwhile I guess I should stop DHEA, which is a bummer because I was hoping it would help with the egg quality.

Pollyjo, I initially tried 75mg once a day, but after two days I also started having heart palpitations. I decreased my dose to 50mg once a day and so far so good. I have been on 50mg for the past 2.5 weeks. You could wait till your cycle is completely over and try the 12.5 mg dose in the morning. Waiting a couple of days to try a lower dose could possibly allow any remaining DHEA in your system to be completely metabolized. Once you start again you will not be on your cycle nor have any previous DHEA in your system so you know if the 12.5mg is truly causing the side effects. But if you feel completely uncomfortable trying it again wait until your MD appointment. :hugs:

Pollyjo, I initially tried 75mg once a day, but after two days I also started having heart palpitations. I decreased my dose to 50mg once a day and so far so good. I have been on 50mg for the past 2.5 weeks. You could wait till your cycle is completely over and try the 12.5 mg dose in the morning. Waiting a couple of days to try a lower dose could possibly allow any remaining DHEA in your system to be completely metabolized. Once you start again you will not be on your cycle nor have any previous DHEA in your system so you know if the 12.5mg is truly causing the side effects. But if you feel completely uncomfortable trying it again wait until your MD appointment. :hugs:

Thanks so much! I stopped completely for the moment, and feel my usual self, sorta fatigued all the time :( I read that there are some withdrawal symptoms with DHEA. Maybe that's what I was going through. I am rather scared of trying it now. But next cycle I guess i should start with 12.5 or even lower. BTW, do you take the dose all at once? or do you take it 2/3 times a day? The stuff I read on it recommends 75 mg three times a day....:baby: that I am not already int menopause. That scares the daylights off me :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"