VERY overweight and scared re scans !

fivebyfive

TTC #1 CYCLE 3
Reaction score
OMG im so embnarrassed even writing this :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Anyway I guess I should move to ttc soon but you have all been so great I wanna stay !
we are now actively ntnp till our hols when I should be ovulating and we'll really start to plan

anyway I am sooo scared of hospitals and more the opinions of others and im terrified that they wont be able to see the baby when I do fall, as I carry all my weight round my tummy (and theres a lot )

I am considerably o/w and to be fair I am very healthy but we cant put off trying any longer.

I am really starting to take weight watchers seriously now so I am doing all I can but im scared of what may happen. I only know 1 other girl - my brother in laws neice - who was quite a bit bigger than me - a size 28 - and she had a healthy 8lb boy 3 months ago but I dont know her well enough to ask about scans etc.

Please tell me it'll be ok??

Chelle

Oh sweetheart. Of COURSE it will be ok. I know several people who are 20stone + that have had fine pregnancies and births. You will be absolutley fine!

And you are taking action and trying to lose weight so thats fab. They will be able to see the baby through scans, it will be totally fine.

And as for the fear of hospitals- then dont go! You dont see the MW in hosptial usually, its at somewhere like a GP's office. You dont have to give birth in hospital, you can have the baby at home or meet half way and use a birthing centre (which are lovely! Like a nice hotel, very lush)

Your not the 1st woman to have these thoughts and fears and you wont be the last. All the best of luck with TTC. x

They may have to do an internal scan if they have any problems but thats all i can see.

:hug: It will be jut fine Chelle, take it from me. I've been there and done that with no problems whatsoever (and you know how overweight I am :blush: )
xxx

thanks everyone,

Anna, Im starting to feel really paranoid ! I think id die of embarrassment if they said they couldnt see anything :blush:

That won't happen Chelle :hugs: - like someone else said, if worst came to worst they'd do an internal scan. Never needed that when I was pregnant with Alyssa, and I had 5 scans throughout the pregnancy.
x

I gave birth 2 months ago and i am also very overweight, a size 26 and just under 20 st.

My 1st scan was at 5 weeks and in the end i did need an internal scan as my LO was hiding.

i was re-scanned at 7 wks and it was a belly scan and they got a lovely pic of her.

My size did become a problem while i was pregnant as i did develop Gestational Diabetes but my LO came out healthy.

Good luck with ttcing. Please feel free to PM me anytime, i will happily answer any ?? you have.

V xxx

Just do your best for now to be healthy. When you go to weight watchers stay for the meeting! Best of luck with everything:hug:

Hey sweetie, I am in the same boat as you - extremely overweight (currently a size 24/26) and although I am hoping to lose weight by the time we start TTC in September (so to get to maybe a size 18/20), I know that is still going to be considerably overweight. I am hoping with the diet and exercise I will be quite healthy and my blood pressure and stuff will be a lot lower, but I too fret about what the scans will be like, but also how I will get treated and worry about having to have a c-section and stuff like that. But I just can't put it off any longer! I so want a baby NOW!

I will keep an eye out for you to see how you get on :) x

See Im very overweight a size 20 on the bottom and anything from a 12 to a 20 on the top and weight just under 19 stone but im healthy. I dont eat the wrong things i just dont exercise enough. Iv never had a problem with my blood pressure and when i asked about getting my colesterol checked my doc laughed and told me to stop being silly.

trust me i am very overweight too and i even had a scan at 7 weeks and they seen everything perfect! dont worry they deal with overweight people all the time so no big deal, i just made sure i drank plenty of water too push the uterus forward x

If you're really concerned it might be a good idea to talk to your GP? He/she will be able to take away some of your fear and might also be able to suggest some strategies to minimise risks before you conceive.

Paula, good to hear your experience and your children are beautiful!

Thanks for sharing xx

Thanks to everyone who has put encouraging comments on this stream (I've snuck over from TTC for a read). I too am overweight and have also had those paranoid thoughts about my weight and pregnancy but am also in the position that I really can't wait any longer til I try as I am 31 already (not getting any younger - lol). It's good to hear about people who are in the same position and have had healthy pregnancies and babies. Fingers crossed I will be the same.

Just curious.... for those who have a bit on the heavier side and have had babies before - did it take a long time to get pregnant??

I am overweight and had alot of scans during my pregnancy as I developed gestational diabetes too.

The very first scan I had was private at 9 weeks and you could see baby as soon as she put the probe on my belly and it was VERY clearly indeed to the point he had tiny buds instead of arms and legs!

YET at my NHS scan at 13 weeks the picture was rubbish and they did write on the slip it was due to my high BMI....yes my BMI is high but I think it was to do with their rubbish machinery!

I work in the NHS also and we do bariatric surgery for gastric bands and NEVER treat anyone any differently....so at no point should you be made to feel bad about your weight.

Good luck ttc and just relax and enjoy your time, especially when you get you :bfp:!

Emma.xx

I'm very overweight too and had a lovely pregnancy with my Daughter and now have a beautiful healthy 14 month old running around, I'm also expecting my 2nd in December, luckily no problem conceiving.
I've never had to have an internal scan either and I have had to have early scans.

Just wanted to share my positive experiences. All that matters if you try and keep as healthy as possible when you are pregnant with your baby which is what I'm doing. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->