• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Very slow hcg drop after d&c

MrsKA

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

This is my first post, I have found this forum after many searches and I really need some support/advice or info from anyone who has gone through what I am !

A bit of background info, 7 weeks ago at my 12 week scan I found that my baby had died at around 9 weeks I had a d&c two days later. It was heartbreaking but I got through it. They tested the baby and the tissues and concluded that the baby was fine but that the placental cells had hydropic degeneration which is when the placenta has too many cavities and absorbs to much fluid causing it to swell and stop functioning. Through further studies they ruled out molar and partial molar pregnancy which was a relief.

Since then my hcg levels have been very slow to fall, I haven't had any bleeding or spotting what so ever aside from the few days following the d&c. 3 weeks ago my levels were at 80, 1 week ago they were 44 and yesterday they were at 40 !!! They were first dropping at a level of half every week which was considered slow and then dropped at a rate of half every fortnight and now they are dropping at a rate of half every month !

I am in New Zealand and here they have a public health system which is totally free and available to everyone, I however have health insurance and had my d&c done privately. My doctor who I have been seeing while my surgeon has been away for the Christmas period didn't seem to worried and when I asked about the possibility of retained product wouldn't refer me for a scan as she thought at levels as low as 44 any retained product wouldn't be viewable through a scan and if it was there would have probably already been reabsorbed into my body. When I finally spoke to my surgeon today he agreed and doesn't seem very worried at all. He admitted is was slow but all he has done is give me another blood form for next week to see where I am at. I have been given a tumor hcg blood form but he doesn't really think I need to have that with how low my levels are.

After all of that I am wondering has anyone else experienced such a slow drop (i'm on week 7 now !) and was there any reason for it ? I am desperate for answers and I am so frustrated with this that I have literally been crying all day ! It doesn't make it easier that I do have a time frame that I am able to fall pregnant in due to my job, a time frame that is rapidly running out ! Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me insane !

BUMP

Come on someone here must have had a very slow drop too ???

Sorry hun i didnt get a slow drop but didnt wanna R+R...Hugs xx

Thanks ami1985 ! I have been reading through old posts trying to find something similar and I have but they are such old posts that they havent come back and said what happened in the end !

Just bumping this thread up ! I am really starting to panic here. I will be 8 weeks post d&c tomorrow and i'm still testing positive on a pregnancy test and at the same darkness as the test I took two weeks ago so id say my hcg levels haven't dropped down much from 40 last week! I just want to know if anyone else has experienced such a slow drop and been ok ? Im worried that something is really wrong !

Hi there, I am sorry for your loss and your situation. I feel for you I really do. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you (wish I did!) but I hope you get some answers really soon!

Sending hugs and good luck.

I am 4 weeks post d&c and my levels were 54. I am back to the doctor today for another check. ill let you know how it goes.

I really don't have much info, but did want to ask if you think you conceived again? Maybe It went down and is back on it's way up? I don't know what else to say, good luck with your next test.. :flower:

Well back frorm the doc. Urine test positive hcg results tomarrow. I so wish I'm pregnant again. Who knows. More updates tomarrow :/

Thanks guys ! I have been monitoring my levels every day with strip tests and ive yet to have a negative :( definitely not a new pregnancy.

Good luck mammaspath !!! really hope its a new pregnancy for you !

I'll be praying for you ladies.. I hope you get the best results possible!! :flower:

well my levels are at 19 since monday.......playing the waiting game now :)

I know the feeling of waiting ! it's SO frustrating ! here are my levels !

2 weeks post D&C - 550
3 weeks post D&C - 180
4 weeks post D&C - 80
6 weeks post D&C - 44
7 weeks post D&C - 40
8 weeks post D&C - 29

!!!! I am so so well over it ! I spoke to my surgeon a few nights ago and he said if my latest hcg hadn't made much of a shift that I would be referred to a gynecological oncologist :S my result was 29 just waiting to hear back as to what he wants me to do !

Hi mrsKA,

I was wondering, how did things resolve for you? I am in a similar position...five weeks after d&c for missed mc, still getting pos hpt, hcg last week at 60. So heartbroken, this was my first pregnancy, ttc at 34 years old.

I just wonder, will this ever end? I am torturing myself daily hpt, hoping for a negative. Three invites for baby showers on my kitchen table for good friends, and another one pregnant with twins. I just don't know how to deal with it.

Anyone else going through this now?

Need hope, jen

Hi Jen well I am 11 weeks post d&c and my last draw on Tuesday was at 10 and the week before they were at 12 ! im pretty sure I ovulated yesterday though ! I have no answers as to this is taking so long either, they ruled out molar and partial molar, retained product and ectopic. Could either of these be related to you ?

It took me 14 weeks to get to under 3--but I did have a partial molar. Didn't have any blood draws between 9weeks6days and 14 weeks as my Dr. moved me to monthly test.

Blakesmum - How long did they say you had to wait to TTC after your partial molar ? part of me wonders if that is what I had but the test result was wrong, I might be pregnant again as I ovulated last Friday. The gyno oncologist sent me for tumor hcg blood tests anyway and I had my first this morning so now i'm worried that if i've gone and got myself pregnant that I could have got myself into trouble.

I was originally told 1 year by my midwives, then the OBGYN I was referred to was OK with 6 months. I started NTNP last month and then tried this month even tho it is still under 6 months--I have had 2 monthly "negative" hcg readings so felt ready. What is the tumor hcg reading?? A beta or a quantitative??

Im actually not sure, last time I had a tumor hcg and a normal hcg, my tumor reading was 39 and my hcg was 40, I think the tumor hcg is just a more accurate sensitive test. They also ordered a combined hcg assay, have no idea what that is !

Did you already get the results (in you sig line it says 10)--How long between getting the 39 and the 10--that is a great drop!! My Dr. considers under 3 normal--what about your Dr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->