Views on homosexuality

jjbump

Reaction score
I tell you, having my first baby has really opened my eyes.

My parents have really gone down in my expectations. Yesterday we were all talking about my LO growing up and I mentioned that we would support her no matter what, even if she turns around and tells us she is gay.

My parents erupted and started telling me how disgusting homosexuality is and how me and my partner should NOT encourage our LO to 'become like that'. Funny, my parents are Christians so should be tolerant of all people, but hey ho.

Anyway, it's made me realise that I don't really know my parents at all. Since LO's birth, they've shown themselves to be a lot of negative things.

How do you guys deal with this kinda stuff? I don't want my parents' views to be pushed onto my LO and I would never want my LO to feel unloved because of who she is.

I would be very clear that they are not to say anything homophobic in front of my child.

Having a baby has made me question my upbringing which I thought was pretty good until I had a baby and now when I think back a lot of their views and behaviour are so different to mine. It's sad and hard to stomach. As has been suggested tell them that you don't want them to talk like that I front of your child.

Im like you, Id love my LO no matter what!

Im a practising Catholic so while I believe homosexuals will go to Hell I personally dont wish them any ill will iykwm?
Id NEVER say anything homophobic in front of my child and expect others to do the same

Just encourage your LO to be accepting of everyone no matter what (colour, gender, disability etc), and let her know as she gets older that it's ok to be "different" and that nobody is the same anyway.

I never noticed when I was younger just how racist my grandparents are! Not in the way that they would be nasty to anybody because of their race, but in the terms they use. My most hated one my Nan uses (and please don't be offended anybody, I'm constantly telling her off) is Nignog... I HATE it!!! And also my nan always says "Mongol" instead of using the correct term, which I also hate and correct her on. But they are old, they have old fashioned values and views and were brought up different to how we were. Not that it's right to use terms like those, but nobody ever told them not to when they were little because it was the accepted way to talk.

You could also put your foot down and tell your parents that you will not tolerate homophobic behaviour around your child. But really, as long as you and your LO's daddy are accepting and encouraging then there shouldn't be a problem with your little girl growing up to be accepting of everyone.

XxX

Im a practising Catholic so while I believe homosexuals will go to Hell I personally dont wish them any ill will iykwm?
Id NEVER say anything homophobic in front of my child and expect others to do the same

I find this sad as if your child is a homosexual you will have to think they are going to hell and that you will accept this as right or that they will be wiped from your memory when you go to heaven so you can be happy. How do you reconsile yourself with this. X :hugs: I'm really interested as my parents think the same way. They love me but say I will be going to hell as I don't believe.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, in that my parents are very open and raised us to be open and tolerant of all types/races/sexuallity, etc... In fact my moms two best friends are gay and a couple. They used to babysit me all the time and took me on outings all the time. My parents are in their 70's, so I would have to say they are pretty rare as far as there age and beliefs. They were sort flower child type parents growing up, even though my father was working in the corporate world, they still hung on to there views. I would definitely make it clear to your parents, that you do not want there negative views to be spoken about around your child... xxx

134.jpg

I find views on sexuality very sad and misguided these days, like being homosexual is this 'brand new phenomenon' that's only been around for the last century or so :wacko: it's been well proven by now that both sexualities have been around for the same amount of time. Why aren't we discussing people's views on heterosexuals? :shrug:

If my parents had views like that I would ask my parents to simply keep their opinions to themselves.

I'd just like to point something out in the hope of putting things in perspective, there are roughly over 300+ religions worldwide with around 20 being the main ones, they all have different beliefs and I'm sure if you ask them they all believe the others are going to hell or are wrong. Belief is a personal thing and so it should remain.

Isn't it strange how those who proclaim to be religious seem to always be the most intolerant out of us all. I thought the whole point of religion was to better ones self and to be compassionate, tolerant and non-judgemental.

Something the agnostics and atheists seem to have already mastered!

Isn't it strange how those who proclaim to be religious seem to always be the most intolerant out of us all. I thought the whole point of religion was to better ones self and to be compassionate, tolerant and non-judgemental.

Something the agnostics and atheists seem to have already mastered!

Religion in general is not supposed to create completely tolerant people. I know of specific religions, even other than Christians, that can foster great hatred in others - enough to commit mass murders in the name of their religion.

And atheist groups, for many instances, have done things to purposely offend Christians and Jews. Pretty intolerant too if you ask me.

I would while heartedly accept anything my children want to do wether it be a stripper a doctor or gay so long as they are happy. My sil is gay and my eldest has never even questioned it she see's it as normal and why not, we are Christians and have no problem with it neither does our family or vicor in fact she was very welcoming to my sil and her finance at both our children's christenings

I find this sad as if your child is a homosexual you will have to think they are going to hell and that you will accept this as right or that they will be wiped from your memory when you go to heaven so you can be happy. How do you reconsile yourself with this. X :hugs: I'm really interested as my parents think the same way. They love me but say I will be going to hell as I don't believe.

My beliefs may anger/offend others but they are mine only and as i said i force them on no one

Dont feel sad hun, i've made my peace with God :flower:
I also know people who have commited suicide and find it sad to think I wont see them in Heaven, its hard to explain/justify
As a Christian we are supposed to love thy neighbour etc so i (personally) dont see why it doesnt extend to homosexuals. We should be tolerant of others and their beliefs imo, i never force my beliefs on anyone. I dont hate people that do so but feel sad they will end up in Hell, but that is my belief, and i wouldnt explain anything like this to LO till he starts asking questions as we go to Mass

My beliefs may anger/offend others but they are mine only and as i said i force them on no one

Dont feel sad hun, i've made my peace with God :flower:
I also know people who have commited suicide and find it sad to think I wont see them in Heaven, its hard to explain/justify
As a Christian we are supposed to love thy neighbour etc so i (personally) dont see why it doesnt extend to homosexuals. We should be tolerant of others and their beliefs imo, i never force my beliefs on anyone. I dont hate people that do so but feel sad they will end up in Hell, but that is my belief, and i wouldnt explain anything like this to LO till he starts asking questions as we go to Mass

As a Catholic (and a bisexual, incidentally), I'll point out that Catholic doctrine does NOT state that homosexuals are going to Hell. It says that homosexual ACTS are a sin, the same as heterosexual sex outside marriage, for example. It is perfectly possible, even according to the strictest interpretation of Catholic teaching, to be a homosexual person and end up in Heaven.

I also don't agree with homosexuality. But I don't agree with living together before marriage either. Call me fundamental if you like but I don't see either of those two things as 'evil' per se, I just don't agree with it. Probably all of you lot will disagree with me too, it doesn't make me evil.

And I dislike the idea that all atheists are compassionate, tolerant people and all religious people are fundamental bigots. It's a huge generalization. I find if a person is a bigot anyway they will use their views, whether religious or atheistic, to further their bigotry. You won't believe the amount of people who think I'm a stupid brainwashed idiot on paper. But I have brains, I choose what I believe and I would never force those views on others, I just state what I think.

Funny, my parents are Christians so should be tolerant of all people, but hey ho.

"Going to church makes you a Christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car."

:hugs:

Love your little person, no matter what. I believe love is love is love is love, regardless of if it's homosexual love, heterosexual love, chair love, etc. <3

(also, if my parents ever said ANYTHING like that to me, WWIII would erupt)

I'm from San Francisco, so enough said really :haha:

I'll love Alex no matter what. :)

I don't believe in homosexuality, therefore I will not bring my son up saying it is an acceptable way to be.

We are living in 2012....I'm still shocked that intolerance in regards to homosexuality exists.

Then again, I'm not.

To the people who don't agree with homosexuality. What if your child tells you that they are gay or lesbian? I'm really interested x

If society one day decided incest was okay, I'd still believe firmly against it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->