Views on homosexuality

In Sweden under special circumstances it only applies to half siblings I have no idea about the Netherlands but it's probably something similar.

In psychology you learn about something called Westermarck effect which explains why people brought up together as kids can't see each other as more than 'relatives' when they get older, there's loads and loads written about it. Regardless of anything to do with incest because it's taken the whole thread off topic, you can't justify one thing with another, a coherent argument stands on its own two legs. Where is the proof apart from scriptures and mythology that homosexuality is wrong?

Biology.

In answer to the OP, I personally will be bringing Oscar up to love everyone, and to be happy. You know that's the most important thing to me, that he's happy...I couldnt give a monkeys who it's with or how it's done. I've been there, to a certain extent as my brother is gay and went through many years being go-between with him and my parents after he came out. Who incidentally are not homophobic, but couldn't accept it in their own son! It has and still does cause a lot of heartache and was so very sad to watch. I would NEVER do that to my son, it was heartbreaking and he was one of the lucky ones.
Moving on to the next argument, likening it to incest...well yes in a way it is, just as heterosexual people can be likened to incest, as it's a sexual desire for another. And yes in a way i am not against incest, as long as steps are taken to ensure there are no offspring, and that they are 2 consenting adults, so what? Society and people in general take too much time and effort worrying about others sexuality and what they do in bed...really there are so many more important things to worry about and take action on. Sigh...

In Sweden under special circumstances it only applies to half siblings I have no idea about the Netherlands but it's probably something similar.

In psychology you learn about something called Westermarck effect which explains why people brought up together as kids can't see each other as more than 'relatives' when they get older, there's loads and loads written about it. Regardless of anything to do with incest because it's taken the whole thread off topic, you can't justify one thing with another, a coherent argument stands on its own two legs. Where is the proof apart from scriptures and mythology that homosexuality is wrong?

Biology.

How on earth does biology state that it's wrong?

Well, two males cannot produce an offspring. Two females cannot produce an offspring. Therefore, nature keeps species of the same sex from coupling.

Science, of course, has come a long way in helping overcome those obstacles. Those same procedures can be used to help incest couples.

^^ This is in regards of how I believe both incest and homosexual relationships are parallel, and if you accept one you should technically be accepting of the other.

That argument has long been proven to be proven a myth, homosexuality is observed in hundreds of species, In evolution a lot of things are to do with the good of the group rather then the individual and it's believed to be one of the main reasons why it is around today although genetic studies into are still in the early days and we don't know a lot and there are many theories that support this, we do know enough though to say that the "because they can't reproduce" argument is void.

I actually don't believe that biology is a good enough reason for saying its wrong though, could it not be natures way of attempting to self regulate the human population? Why does it mean that it's natures way of saying its "wrong"?

Plus it's been shown that there can be gay pairings in animals too? If biology and nature thought it wrong, surely this wouldn't occur?

Inbreeding occurs more often than you would think in the animal and plant kingdom as well!

But in breeding is to do with the incest argument, if you think about homosexuality and the fact that they can't have children...then what does it matter? There's going to be no affected offspring so, there's no biological reason for saying its wrong?

again that has nothing to do with homosexuality. :flower:

But in breeding is to do with the incest argument, if you think about homosexuality and the fact that they can't have children...then what does it matter? There's going to be no affected offspring so, there's no biological reason for saying its wrong?

So technically it's okay for a mother and son to get married and live without intent to have children unless they choose adoption or artificial insemination. ( You already stated though you don't see anything wrong with it if it's consensual ;) )

So technically it's okay for a mother and son to get married and live without intent to have children unless they choose adoption or artificial insemination. ( You already stated though you don't see anything wrong with it if it's consensual ;) )

Technically -yes I suppose, yes! It's a difficult one, but my beliefs are if it's not to the detriment of anyone else then, yes people should be happy. So if this is what were to make them happy, then yes.
As vanilla said though, it's unlikely this would happen. (thought I can't remember exactly how she worded it sorry,) unless they had lived apart for many years, or the mother hadn't brought up the son and/or didn't realise they were related, as I do feel it would be too difficult to change the love of a mother for her son, to that of the love for a partner. I personally (with my very limited length of time as a mother) believe it to be totally different kind of love.
I haven't actually reviewed case studies of incest, so I am talking a little blind here.

Technically -yes I suppose, yes! It's a difficult one, but my beliefs are if it's not to the detriment of anyone else then, yes people should be happy. So if this is what were to make them happy, then yes.
As vanilla said though, it's unlikely this would happen. (thought I can't remember exactly how she worded it sorry,) unless they had lived apart for many years, or the mother hadn't brought up the son and/or didn't realise they were related, as I do feel it would be too difficult to change the love of a mother for her son, to that of the love for a partner. I personally (with my very limited length of time as a mother) believe it to be totally different kind of love.
I haven't actually reviewed case studies of incest, so I am talking a little blind here.

this along with if you say your reason for being against homosexuality is science and pro-creating, with that argument now being proven to be wrong why then do you still believe it is wrong?

Im like you, Id love my LO no matter what!

Im a practising Catholic so while I believe homosexuals will go to Hell I personally dont wish them any ill will iykwm?
Id NEVER say anything homophobic in front of my child and expect others to do the same

I find this sad as if your child is a homosexual you will have to think they are going to hell and that you will accept this as right or that they will be wiped from your memory when you go to heaven so you can be happy. How do you reconsile yourself with this. X :hugs: I'm really interested as my parents think the same way. They love me but say I will be going to hell as I don't believe.

My beliefs may anger/offend others but they are mine only and as i said i force them on no one

Dont feel sad hun, i've made my peace with God :flower:
I also know people who have commited suicide and find it sad to think I wont see them in Heaven, its hard to explain/justify
As a Christian we are supposed to love thy neighbour etc so i (personally) dont see why it doesnt extend to homosexuals. We should be tolerant of others and their beliefs imo, i never force my beliefs on anyone. I dont hate people that do so but feel sad they will end up in Hell, but that is my belief, and i wouldnt explain anything like this to LO till he starts asking questions as we go to Mass

As a Catholic (and a bisexual, incidentally), I'll point out that Catholic doctrine does NOT state that homosexuals are going to Hell. It says that homosexual ACTS are a sin, the same as heterosexual sex outside marriage, for example. It is perfectly possible, even according to the strictest interpretation of Catholic teaching, to be a homosexual person and end up in Heaven.

Can i ask if you know any scripture to support this hun?
My Old Parish priest was (and even God would i agree i think!) is an old git and drummed it into us gays go to Hell, he took great pleasure in telling me this when my cousin came out and I love my cousin dearly, so will happily go back and give him a peice of my mind! :grr:

My new parish priest is lovely :flower:

Just gone back to have a look at your post Vanilla. It's made for very interesting reading thanks to Mr google and Mr wikipedia :thumbup:

I think if a discussion wants to be made about how homosexuality and incest are the same, it should be another thread. This is about views on homosexuality.

As for my personal opinion, I'm laughing that incest is being compared to homosexuality.

Many many Greek and Roman philosophers, soldiers, and gladiators were homosexual. :shrug: Surely in the case of philosophers, those were considered to be enlightened men who knew about biology and man and woman.

Who are we to judge? Honestly? If two men or two women want to live together or even *gasp* raise/have children, what is so wrong with that? As long as they are loving parents I couldn't care less :)

Wowzers, is a really scary statement to say you believe homosexual people will go to hell?!.... Along with murderers,rapists who deserve to go to hell!!!
I can understand where religion comes into play that it's hard to change your view that it's wrong in your eyes but to go to hell?? I dont think so!
My niece is gay, my opinion was the same before she was gay. She gave me away at my wedding which i had a ton of negative opinions for to which i told them where to stick thier opinion!! Her and her partner make a cracking couple... Why would they not be together if being with a man would make them insanely unhappy?!

I know my parents and my inlaws don't like homosexuality but I know if Maria did turn out to be gay, my parents wouldn't say anything homophobic to her as they are accepting of people who are gay but just don't like it. Dunno about my inlaws though, I had a huge argument with FIL about it once (he thought gay men need regular operations to fix their anuses!!!)

I know my parents and my inlaws don't like homosexuality but I know if Maria did turn out to be gay, my parents wouldn't say anything homophobic to her as they are accepting of people who are gay but just don't like it. Dunno about my inlaws though, I had a huge argument with FIL about it once (he thought gay men need regular operations to fix their anuses!!!)

:haha::haha:
Like stitching back up?!

Old folks are so cute!!!

:haha::haha:
Like stitching back up?!

Old folks are so cute!!!

Probably thats what he thought....he wouldn't believe me when I said its not true :haha:

I am speechless.

Drawing parralels between homosexuality and incest? Really? They aren't comparable in the slightest.

I actually find a lot of this very offensive and I can't imagine how the people who use this forum who are in same sex relationships must feel.

Homosexuality is just a sexual preference, who actually gives a shit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->