Views on homosexuality

If society one day decided incest was okay, I'd still believe firmly against it.

Erm, I don't see how thats the same thing?

I think there are a lot of parallels between the two. If two people of the same sex can marry and live together, why can't two adults (such as a father and grown daughter) in a consensual incest relationship get married and live together?

Most people would immediately scoff at that idea because "it's just wrong." That's how some people feel about homosexuality.

Er, because incest is illegal, and homosexuality is not.

I too also find it difficult to understand intolerances towards homosexuality, what would you rather, your child be brought up to embrace that everyone is loved, no matter what, or that people (including Mummy and Daddy) would be so disappointed if they were. I could not live with myself if my child ended up not being able discuss a fundemental part of their lives with me, and being scared to due to possible consequences. That, persoanlly saddens me...

Im very lucky in the fact that my sister is gay so my daughter has just accepted it and never questioned it . I never knew any gay people as a child so never really understood it but my mum is a really open and not in the slightest bit predjudiced. I would love my girls no matter what sexuality they are same as i love my sister. We actually get on better since she came out as she was an utter beast as a teenager (i think because she was feeling mixed up) lol xxxxxxx

If society one day decided incest was okay, I'd still believe firmly against it.

I think there are a lot of parallels between the two. If two people of the same sex can marry and live together, why can't two adults (such as a father and grown daughter) in a consensual incest relationship get married and live together?

Most people would immediately scoff at that idea because "it's just wrong." That's how some people feel about homosexuality.

I'm sorry but that is not the same thing, Incest is biologically wrong with the potential to cause very severe disabilities in offspring, this alone is enough for it to be illegal and has nothing to do with 'morals' or what people find acceptable or not.

I'm sorry but that is not the same thing, Incest is biologically wrong with the potential to cause very severe disabilities in offspring, this alone is enough for it to be illegal and has nothing to do with what people find acceptable or not.

Ah, but they could turn to artificial insemination or adoption...just like homosexuals!

Also, if two (unrelated) people who possess recessive genes marry each other and know that there's a chance their kid could turn out disabled...should they not be allowed to have children?

Er, because incest is illegal, and homosexuality is not.

If homosexuality was illegal, would you therefore automatically believe it is wrong?

If incest was legal, would you think it was okay?

Its irrelevent, because its not...we could sit here and say if murder was legal, would it be acceptable. But its not, so its not something one can address.

I don't think it's irrelevant. Both are two "taboo" sexual relationships. However, homosexuality is becoming okay, while the other is clearly still completely taboo. I don't see why one is okay, while the other is not.

The reproductive obstacles homosexuals face can be resolved in the exact same way an incest couple's obstacles can.

If two people are happy together in a relationship, why can't they marry?

I'm not for incest in any way, shape, or form by the way! I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

It just simply goes against what I believe is right :) I don't care if society says it's okay or not, it just goes against my fundamentals!

But homosexuality is not taboo, and not illegal.

There isn't enough time in my day to sit here and discuss Anthropology with you and why genetically it is ingrained into us to not have incest because of survival mechanisms. There are many example such as Habsburgs in Austria of why it's wrong plus many studies which have been done which I'm not willing to hunt down and quote randomly just to make a point, either way apart from "immoral" there is no other reason for why homosexuality would be wrong and morals are very subjective, as is religion clearly.

So is the only reason you believe incest is wrong is because it is illegal?

Otherwise, what is wrong with it? Like I said, the reproductive obstacles can be resolved (artificial insemination/adoption) in the same way as homosexuals.

Okay, to be fair, if its two consenting adults, with regards to incest, I could accept that, and it is acceptable in some countries such as Sweden and Netherlands. And I am not totally sure, but maybe some US states, (Correct me if im wrong).

Interesting, in my anthropology studies they discussed incest as well. One of the big reasons why incest was considered "wrong" was because there was no gain for families when two couples within a family married each other. Marriage between distant families were economically, politically, and biologically beneficial.

Okay, to be fair, if its two consenting adults, with regards to incest, I could accept that, and it is acceptable in some countries such as Sweden and Netherlands. And I am not totally sure, but maybe some US states, (Correct me if im wrong).

I'm not sure about other countries, but I believe in the US you can marry your second cousin? Eek! Who knows..the laws may be different for down south :p

In Sweden under special circumstances it only applies to half siblings I have no idea about the Netherlands but it's probably something similar.

In psychology you learn about something called Westermarck effect which explains why people brought up together as kids can't see each other as more than 'relatives' when they get older, there's loads and loads written about it. Regardless of anything to do with incest because it's taken the whole thread off topic, you can't justify one thing with another, a coherent argument stands on its own two legs. Where is the proof apart from scriptures and mythology that homosexuality is wrong?

I'm not trying to argue with anyone here by any means! :)

I just want people to ask themselves if they believe one is wrong, why is the other right? It's just taking a close look at your belief system, what influences it, and how big of a role society plays in your beliefs.

I like debates with probing questions that really make you think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->