Vitamin D deficiency and infertility

JleStar

Reaction score
Back in May I had some blood work done by an endochronologist to test my hormone levels. What came back was that I was very deficient in Vitamin D. She speculated that the deficiency in Vitamin D can be a reason why I was not getting pregnant. I have been supplementing 2,000iu a day, plus trying to get sunlight (15 minutes--NO sunscreen). I haven't been back for a follow up yet but was just wondering if you ladies were also tested for Vitamin D deficiency. If so, where you able to get pregnant after you raised your levels?

Ask your doctors for a Vitamin D test today! There is a lot of research I found online between deficiency and infertility. By the way most doctors won't do a D test if you don't ask them.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Sorry, I don't know the answer but I didn't want to read and run. Im actually curious about this myself.

I haven't been tested for it, but I did research on it and apparently most women with PCOS have a Vit D deficiency, so I take an extra couple Vit D supplements per day.

I actually wrote a blog post about it if anyone is interested in reading.

https://crunchyfluff.blogspot.com/2011/07/vitamin-d_23.html

Thank you ladies for responding..I will certainly look for at your blog! Best Wishes!

I've recently learned that a vitamin D deficiency can affect many aspects of your health, so if it includes fertility, I'm not surprised. I'm fair skinned and live in a sunny climate, so I've always been very careful with sunscreen ALL the time. Now I try to get some sun a few times a week - but I don't know if I was deficient before.

I'm vit D deficient too. I've been prescribed a one off dose of 100,000 units plus regular supplements. However I do not know whether to take the one off dose if TTC in case such a high amount could harm a potential embryo. The nurse told me I would have to take a break from TTC if I took it, but don't know if she was just being cautious. Any thoughts?

I've actually started taking Vitamin D last month to aid in TTC.
I wasn't sure if I had a deficiency, but didn't want to chance it.

I've recently learned that a vitamin D deficiency can affect many aspects of your health, so if it includes fertility, I'm not surprised. I'm fair skinned and live in a sunny climate, so I've always been very careful with sunscreen ALL the time. Now I try to get some sun a few times a week - but I don't know if I was deficient before.

It definitely worth it to get tested just in case...you don't want something like a vitamin deficiency to get in the way of conceiving. Best of luck to you!

I'm vit D deficient too. I've been prescribed a one off dose of 100,000 units plus regular supplements. However I do not know whether to take the one off dose if TTC in case such a high amount could harm a potential embryo. The nurse told me I would have to take a break from TTC if I took it, but don't know if she was just being cautious. Any thoughts?

Wow 100,000units! I wonder why my doc didn't prescribe that.
I have just been taking the 2,000iu plus whatever is in prenatal vit's and trying to get more sun...In my opinion you risk is greater if you have low Vitamin D because the lining of your uterus won't supply enough nutrient for a growing embryo...so even if egg and sperm meet, and you get implantation, it will not stick...so I would take the big dose and cool it for 2 weeks..just my opinion :thumbup:

I've actually started taking Vitamin D last month to aid in TTC.
I wasn't sure if I had a deficiency, but didn't want to chance it.

Hello Pinkchucks,
Just wanted to ask if you were taking Vitamin D, D2 or D3? It comes in all three forms...from what I have read and researched--Vitamin D3 is the best one. good luck to you!

And of course we all know the best source of Vitamin D is from the SUN....so head outside for 15-20 minutes and soak in some rays...The sun is our friend at least for a little while:thumbup:

I just found a bottle of Vit D in my cupboard today.....I just remembered that I am Vit D Deficient as well but I never talk to my GP about TTC soooo I better start taking it now! Crap!

I just found a bottle of Vit D in my cupboard today.....I just remembered that I am Vit D Deficient as well but I never talk to my GP about TTC soooo I better start taking it now! Crap!

Hey! Don't worry I just remembered I had a tilted cervix and realized I should be baby making doggie style lol...get on that Vitamin D and make sure its D3.

so you just ask your doctor for a test to see if you are deficient in vitamin D? does it have a name? i'm just curious, but why don't they test that with all the other bloodwork they do? sure would save some people alot of time!

so you just ask your doctor for a test to see if you are deficient in vitamin D? does it have a name? i'm just curious, but why don't they test that with all the other bloodwork they do? sure would save some people alot of time!

Hey Teddybearpug,
I am not sure why Vitamin D isn't on a script for blood work..it generally has to be added to the blood work, not sure why to be honest. From what I have seen researching Vitamin D deficiency I find it to be somewhat of a crime not to test for it...deficiency in D is linked to soooo many diseases and ailments. Anyways, I went through 3 different blood works with no Vitamin D test, on the 4th my endocrinologist said she added it because I was having a lot of symptoms for hypothyroidism and I guess they check Vitamin D when testing for thyroid hormones..but when she saw I had a deficiency in Vitamin D she wanted me to get on supplements immediately.
So yea, ask your Dr. for some blood work and tell them besides testing all of your reproductive hormones to also test for Vitamin D. Good luck to you!

Did everyone take their Vitamin D today? It's very cloudy by me..I was hoping to get some sun today...hopefully this cloud will pass.

Anyone in here, also been told they had deficient Vitamin D?
Also if so, have you been pregnant in the past?

Did everyone take their Vitamin D today? It's very cloudy by me..I was hoping to get some sun today...hopefully this cloud will pass.

Thanks for the reminder, taking my supplements now...

Thanks for the reminder, taking my supplements now...

Thanks for your great blog! A lot of good information.

Thanks!! I spend so much time researching these things, I figured I might as well try to put all the info in one place!

Hi ladies,
Im happy i found this thread, I have just been diagnosed as Vitamin D deficient. I didnt ask for the test, just went for an over all physical and it came back in my blood work results. I was prescribed 50,000 mIu once a week for 8 weeks then 2,000 mIu for 2 months, then I go back to see if it helps. As far as it hurting the embryo, it doesn't. I talked with both dr and pharmacist and both said totally safe. I even did some research on webmd and found many articles discussing high doses of vitamin d in early pregnancy and how they can prevent problems in developing embryo.

Just wanted to share what I know!

Hey! Don't worry I just remembered I had a tilted cervix and realized I should be baby making doggie style lol...get on that Vitamin D and make sure its D3.

:rofl:

JleStar, I should get tested - I've got to find out if that would be covered with my health plan, but I'm trying to do as much on my own as possible since it doesn't cover anything related to maternity :nope: So its out into the sunshine I go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->