Vitamin D deficiency and infertility

I dont know much about Vitamin D deficiency but i dont know that it effects male fertility too.

Hey xMiss,

Well since you brought it up I should add that YES there has been a link to infertility in males as well. Check out the link below to read about it
Hope this helps!
https://hometestingblog.testcountry.com/?p=191

so glad I found this!! I also just found out I have a Vitamin D defiency. I've been ttc for one year and just got this test. Maybe it will help to get it up. I ready where the high dose at one time(50,000 I.U) is dangerous and that pregnant women can take up to 4000 I.U. daily. I'm seeing my dr friday so I will get her profesional opinion. Hopefully we'll all get this up and get our bfps!!

I just found a bottle of Vit D in my cupboard today.....I just remembered that I am Vit D Deficient as well but I never talk to my GP about TTC soooo I better start taking it now! Crap!

Hey! Don't worry I just remembered I had a tilted cervix and realized I should be baby making doggie style lol...get on that Vitamin D and make sure its D3.

:rofl:

JleStar, I should get tested - I've got to find out if that would be covered with my health plan, but I'm trying to do as much on my own as possible since it doesn't cover anything related to maternity :nope: So its out into the sunshine I go!

Its not related to maternity only, my General Practitioner diagnosed my deficiency when I got blood taken during my annual physical. A GP can order them along with any other tests during your physicals. I was diagnosed last year and put on 50k units every other day for about a year. I just had new bloods taken and my levels are excellent now. I guess the pills and the extended trip to Florida helped soak all of the needed vitamins into my system!:happydance:

I am ready to TTC so we will see how successful I am .

D~

Very interesting info! I know I am outside often on the weekends, do you know if you have to get sun Daily in order to get the full amount of Vit D? Good info though because during the winter months I tend to stay inside!

I am so happy many of you have found interest in this topic and that it may help your journey in TTC.

I would get about 10-15 minutes per day of sun if possible. One 15 minute exposure can give your body 10,000-25,000 iu of Vit D3 (ballpark from what I have read) ..they also say (from what I have read) to take advantage of the summer months where UV rays are strongest..During the winter it is very difficult but if you had enough sun during the summer you have sort of stored some Vit d3 for the winter months....I would also supplement at least 2,000-4,000iu's during winter months...hope this helps.

I know this is an old post but I was just tested for Vitamin D after TTC for 6 months with no BFPs (have had two before but lost both pregnancies for other reasons). My level was 11 which is very low. I started supplementing with 4,500 IU per day and am hoping to raise my levels. I see some of you are expecting now. I was wondering if you think that the Vitamin D deficiency was a cause for how long it took you to conceive.

Thanks!

I know this is an old post but I was just tested for Vitamin D after TTC for 6 months with no BFPs (have had two before but lost both pregnancies for other reasons). My level was 11 which is very low. I started supplementing with 4,500 IU per day and am hoping to raise my levels. I see some of you are expecting now. I was wondering if you think that the Vitamin D deficiency was a cause for how long it took you to conceive.

Thanks!

To be honest,(for me) I would say no. I always have low vit D and was not taking vitamins. I became pregnant.

I just got diagnosed with this, too! Still waiting to hear back from dr about treatment options!

I just got mine tested as well...it was very low...my doctor prescribed me a high doseage...so hopefully that'll help me get pregnant. Usually if you have thyroid problems you might have vitamin d problems...

Thanks!

Hi
its hard to say why I got pregnant when I did but after 8 months of trying the only thing I did differently was have my Vitamin D deficiency treated (well that and began wearing a fertility bracelet:winkwink:.) In July 2011 I was prescribed 50,000 mIu once a week for 8 weeks then 2,000 mIu for 2 months and natural sun exposure each day, but no more than 30 minutes and to not wear sunscreen during that time (it blocks the uv rays which promote vit. d production) then I was supposed to go back to have levels checked again. Well a month before my follow up got pregnant which was at the beginning of October. When I had my first prenatal check up my dr. said my vitamin d levels were now normal.

I too am VIt D defcient AND B12, the B12 came back at 200, the PCP wants it at 900. I don't remember the Vit D level but she put me on 50,000 IU every week by RX. The B12 I am on 3000 mcg per day.We will redraw my labs at the end of Feb.

I can tell the it is helping, my energy levels have gone up and my hair is starting to look so much better.

I have NEVER had either defciency, I have yearly labs, the only thing that changed was I had an ectopic in 2011, surgery 03/01 and a MC 06/11. I am guessing this had something to do with it. My Thyroid is normal and she pulled all of the different Thyriod tests. In fact everything was good but the Vit D and B12. Even my complete blood count CBC was fine

I get pregnant easily, 2x without trying and on BCP!, then all of a sudden nothing. I truely believe this has been my issue all along. Since the MC in 06/11 I have been TTC and nothing, makes no sense.

My diagnosis was deficient in folic acid, b12 and vit D... This is becoming exciting-- as I see that this could have possibly been my problem for 8 months :)

@laestrella, When you were prescribed the vit D, was it in the form of pill or shot? Just curious as to what the dr will ask me to do :) Thanks!

@laestrella, When you were prescribed the vit D, was it in the form of pill or shot? Just curious as to what the dr will ask me to do :) Thanks!

For me it was pills. At first I had a hard time remembering to take the 50,000 mIu pills because they were once a week for 8 weeks. I actually had to set a reminder on the phone. Once I got to to the 2,00 mIu a day it was easy remember to take them. :thumbup:

I was prescribed Vitamin D pill of 50,000 IU 3x a week for 6 weeks before they re-check my levels. I'm hoping that bringing them up might help.

sammy1205 - we are also perplexed. We got pregnany easily twice in 2010 and since our loss in 4/11 - nothing. We started TTC over the summer and the Vitamin D thing is the only thing that has come up so far.

JHartsBaby - let me know what your dos say. fyi - my B12 levels were fairly low (388) in May of 2011 and I recently had them checked and they were almost 900 - I attribute it to my Prental which has 1 MG of B12 in it which is more than your standard prenatal vitamin has.

Hi ladies! I've been vit d deficient for a few years now, I take d3 and 'calcichew' vit d is what helps bring in the calcium amount other things so the lack of calcium has caused me to suffer with rheumatoid arthritis since I was 16.. However, my doctor and I always discuss TTC and he obviously knows about my problems with vit d, he has not once mensioned infertility being linked with this?! I'm very shocked!! I have had 3 pregnancies, all mc's so I'm now wondering if this is why!
Hmmm... Now it's bugging me!! I have an appt to see him next week, so il ask :)

I'm so glad this thread was started!!

Thanks!!

Sam x

Actually I was found to be vitamin D def three or four months ago. I am now taking Vitamin D and have to get my follow up blood work done. I have read that Vitamin D can cause infertility. I have been trying to a little over year.....

Even i was detected with Vit D, Calcium and Vit B12 deficiency Dec end 2011. The doc gave me calcium and D3 supplements to take for a month. Just finished them yesterday.

Hoping for a BFP soon!:thumbup:

I just startted my 50,000 iu yesterday....3x a week....cant wait to get tone with them and hopefully have a bfp!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->