Vitamin D deficiency and infertility

My doc tested me with my last pregnancy in September and I came up deficient with a level of 25. He put me on 5000iu vitamin D per day (pills). I've been taking them semi-faithfully along with all my other vitamins. Now I just got pregnant again and had all my bloodwork redone. Guess what?! My vitamin D level was even LOWER at 17! I'm in shock.
So now I'm faithfully taking my 5000iu per day and I'll be talking to my doc again.

So im 23yrs old and i have a 4yr old son... I have been TTC for the last 7months.... I just found out that i have low vitamin D and was prescribed 50,000UI once a week. I have been reading different blogs about the vitamin D deficiency and infertility and I am just curious about anyone who had this same issue and became pregnant. I was losing hope until i went in and talked about TTC with my DR then she did blood work and told me everything was normal except my vitamin D was low. :growlmad:

So im 23yrs old and i have a 4yr old son... I have been TTC for the last 7months.... I just found out that i have low vitamin D and was prescribed 50,000UI once a week. I have been reading different blogs about the vitamin D deficiency and infertility and I am just curious about anyone who had this same issue and became pregnant. I was losing hope until i went in and talked about TTC with my DR then she did blood work and told me everything was normal except my vitamin D was low. :growlmad:

Hello Jazma,
This was my original thread and just happened to be taking a look at my older posts and saw your question. I believe that getting my d levels up helped my fertility tremendously. How low is your d? Mine was at a 25. Then I started taking 6,000 ius a day which comes out to 42000 a week. My research showed that sometimes those shots don't work because it is the wrong kind of d...you need d3..that is very important. ask your dr. What kind it is? And please don't worry until you have gone past a full year of actively trying. I know easier said then done. :hugs:

I was prescribed Vitamin D pill of 50,000 IU 3x a week for 6 weeks before they re-check my levels. I'm hoping that bringing them up might help.

sammy1205 - we are also perplexed. We got pregnany easily twice in 2010 and since our loss in 4/11 - nothing. We started TTC over the summer and the Vitamin D thing is the only thing that has come up so far.

JHartsBaby - let me know what your dos say. fyi - my B12 levels were fairly low (388) in May of 2011 and I recently had them checked and they were almost 900 - I attribute it to my Prental which has 1 MG of B12 in it which is more than your standard prenatal vitamin has.

Sorry, I know this post is from feb, but if you see this, what prenatal are you taking? Wondering which is the one with 1mg of b12 - thanks:)

Nice to see lots of people on this thread got their bfp's!:thumbup:

I know this is an old post but I was just tested for Vitamin D after TTC for 6 months with no BFPs (have had two before but lost both pregnancies for other reasons). My level was 11 which is very low. I started supplementing with 4,500 IU per day and am hoping to raise my levels. I see some of you are expecting now. I was wondering if you think that the Vitamin D deficiency was a cause for how long it took you to conceive.

Thanks!
Yes! I believe it most certainly was a cause.

Hi ladies! I've been vit d deficient for a few years now, I take d3 and 'calcichew' vit d is what helps bring in the calcium amount other things so the lack of calcium has caused me to suffer with rheumatoid arthritis since I was 16.. However, my doctor and I always discuss TTC and he obviously knows about my problems with vit d, he has not once mensioned infertility being linked with this?! I'm very shocked!! I have had 3 pregnancies, all mc's so I'm now wondering if this is why!
Hmmm... Now it's bugging me!! I have an appt to see him next week, so il ask :)

I'm so glad this thread was started!!

Thanks!!

Sam x

Many doctors dismiss the vitamins d issue. I think now more and more are realizing that deficiency in d can have profound effects on one's health.
Good luck to you!

Nice to see lots of people on this thread got their bfp's!:thumbup:

I agree! Get your levels checked. Maybe this can work for you too. :hugs:

Hi,
I am taking Vit D, not quite a year yet and am upping my dosage as summer passes and days get shorter. I have celiac, have not had my Vit d levels checked but am deficient in other nutrients, so am guessing Vit d was probably low too. I have only recently found out about the celiac, and have noticed improvements on the vits.:flower:

I'm glad you have seen improvements Hun...good luck! Here's to a healthy future :flower:

I was at 17 around 6 months back n next week will get another test to see whr am I now

I had blood work done two months ago came up vitamin D deficent started taking pills and it hasen't helped my infertility.

I had blood work done two months ago came up vitamin D deficent started taking pills and it hasen't helped my infertility.

2 months IMO is not enough time to be effective.

I have PCOS and we have been struggling for over 9 years to have another baby. I am vitamin D deficient. I found a lot of info about vitamin deficiency and infertility, so I started taking a few supplements, as well as a daily multivitamin.
My body seems to be responding great to the added vitamins :) I have had crazy cycles for as long as I can remember, even going 7 months without a period. The insane cycles even caused me to overlook pregnancy symptoms! I didn't know I was pregnant with my son until I was already about 20 weeks along. But since his birth 10 years ago,it only got worse.
At the end of March of this year, I started taking a B6, a super B complex, folic acid, two tablets of D3, and a royal jelly capsule daily. I also take a regular daily multivitamin. It just happened to be that I started this new regimen a day after my period started. That cycle, I noticed BIG changes! At day 15, my boobs began to HURT. I mean they hurt like they did when my milk came in after giving birth. They were fuller too (hubby was definitely impressed LOL)! The sore breasts lasted until day 27. Then, my period started on day 29 of my cycle. My period wasn't nearly as painful as it usually has been in the past. It also wasn't insanely heavy. Flow was "regular" to light, and lasted just 4 days (5 if you count the last day where it was just light spotting). Encouraged, I kept up with the vitamins.
This last cycle, same exact thing. Day 15 and lasting until day 27, extremely sore breasts. Period began on day 29! Again, it wasn't heavy. Lasted just 4-5 days.
So I'm sticking with it. It definitely seems to be doing something!

Oh, and my PMS symptoms have been much less severe. Mood swings were at a minimum and almost no cravings both cycles :)

Me i take 1600 units d3 daily, my level a few months back my level was less than 10 had them re checked a few weeks ago and they are now 35 still low but at least they are going up. I mc in march so i was wondering if my vit d had anything to do with it x

Someone recently mentioned 23iu for every pound you weigh, I thought that was quite interesting.

Any way, when I was younger I would have very long annovulatory cycles over winter, I came from a place with very little sunlight, and pretty dim summers. over summer I would be outside a lot and magically get my period with 28 days in between.

I ended up diagnosed with d deficiency, it took almost 8 months to get optimum levels. But it really changed everything for me, moods, skin, ovulation, energy etc.

I have my bfp now, but I have no doubt that lack of D caused my infertility, without d I just wouldn't ovulate!

This is an old thread but thought I would bring it back to life if only to at least help one of you lovely ladies get a BFP!

Check your d levels. Vitamin d3

Know its an old thread but i wer also given high dose of vit D & took for 8 wks & decided to ttc wasn't planning it wen i hd bn gvn the vit D, anyway conceived first cycle. First one took 5 yrs. nt sure if it hd anythng to do with the vit D but i cn say i wer mor fertile aftr hvn it & hd no probs conceiving aftr i took it so mayb helped

I am taking high dose vit d at the moment as my dr told me I was deficient. My number was 4...
I'm hoping it will make some differences in my cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->