Vitamin K for baby? are you doing it?

Willow87

Reaction score
My midwife was telling me about it and I said yes but really now I am having secon thoughts. Dont really want my newly born baby to have an injection and having it orally does seem like a hassle for me. I'm just not sure if it's really needed ya know?

what are you ladies doing?

For me I weighed risk vs. benefit and made the decision that I would rather give the vitamin k. I think you need to do some research and make a decision based on all the facts, as it's a personal decision and I think difficult for anyone to tell you what the right thing to do is.

Yep my baby is having it same as my son did! He didn't even notice so I'm assuming this one wont ither and if it does he won't remember. Xx

my baby will be having it, I don't think an injection will be half as traumatic to the baby as what happens a few minutes previously when they are born, it cant be comfortable for them can it but we have to do that part lol, plus its not something that he will remember. definitely a choice of your own though, I personally think the benefits outweigh the fact that my little one will have to have a few second injection x

my son had the injection.
and this one will also have the injection.
Its alot easier than going back and forth for the oral version.
Its quick. a few seconds of crying and theyve forgotten all about it

Ds had it and this one will too.
Like everyone else has said this ones totally a personal decision :)
Xx

Yes, he will be given the injection because they say you never know if the full dose has been taken orally.

Might sound dull but what is vitamin k for?

Im surprised your midwife has not talked about this with you. Its a single injection or a oral medication given to stop blood clotting in new borns.
I will be doing the injection as the oral is given over time and you cant forget to give it and been a new baby and tied I would be bound to foget.

My DD had the injection and this one will too. It's over very quickly and lets face it - their skull has just squished through a narrow passage. I short injection can't be worse than that!

I am giving the injection as usual. In the UK the injection and the oral version are exactly the same product, same ingredients, same everything however the oral one is 6x the dose of the injection overall, even if given over a longer period-so far from being safer the oral version may be more risky. Even the manufacturers admit there is no data on giving more than two doses orally but at least 3 doses are advised. Xx

Might sound dull but what is vitamin k for?

It helps a newborns blood to clot. It helps prevent things like brain hemorrhages and other internal bleeding, as well as less serious effects such as bruising easily and bleeding from the umbilical stump, nose, mouth and bottom. Babies are typically born with lower levels of vitamin k which puts them at higher risks of these complications, which is the reasoning for giving the oral or injected dose after birth.

Yep we are , my daughter had it as injection was nothing to worry about at all , over and done with on a second , so doing it again

Both of mine had the Vit K, This one will be too x

Guess I'll be the first to jump in and say No, i'm not giving it to LO. I did a ton of reading on it (research papers, not common websites) and was only convinced that it's an absurdly high overdose of the stuff. The warning on the label stating that babies have had severe reactions and even died right after the injection. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->