Vitamins

lil' mole

Reaction score
Am I the only one confused by what vitamins to take?:wacko: Ok bear with me this could get long!
From what I can find folic acid is the number one must, but uk pre natals seem to have 400mcg while us have 800mcg. Is it worth taking an extra folic acid 400mcg on top of uk prenatals? Am I missing something cos I don't get why uk and us ladies seem to need different amounts?

Next, omega 3, pregnacare plus has it, but is it ok th have normal pregnacare and take normal (supermarket) omega 3? Mainly because I want to take a vegetarian omega 3, not a fishy one.

I also found that some websites advise co q 10 and probiotics, is this just for general health? Or is it baby making/growing related?

Hope that's not too many questions in one go:blush:
I think I'm over thinking it, but as it's now only 11 weeks till I get my implant out (starting ntnp) I just wanted to see what I should be doing

im also a bit confused about vitamins. i was just going to take a multivitamin like prenacare but im not sure which one either. i went on some supermarket websites and copied the contents of their vitamins onto my computer and was going to compare them but i dont know whats the best dose anyway!

Glad it's not just me. I guess prenatals should all have all the essentials so maybe I'll just go for one of them!

I am actually terribly confused. Very glad I'm not the only one, I was beginning to think I was stupid

Take however much Folic Acid you want, at a minimum of 400mcg, maximum of 5mg. I take 5mg (12x the recommended dose of 400mcg in the UK) because my daughter has Spina Bifida.

Hello! I'm in the U.S. and I take Prenatal One, which is a vegan vitamin with all the fixings. ;) I basically just walked into my local CVS, stared at the shelves of prenatal vitamins until one popped out at me and decided to go with the vegan brand because it's gentle on the stomach. I don't know that you can necessarily go wrong with a prenatal vitamin, so long as you're within the recommended dosage and not exceeding that. Even children's vitamins are great, nausea-free supplements.

The only thing that is really wrecking my nerves with these prenatal vitamins is that they are the size of a small cow and quite hard for me to swallow. But perhaps I'm just psyching myself out..? Ha!

Good luck in your search. :)

Thank you ladies, it's nice to know I'm not the only one confused!:thumbup: Tegans mama, thank you for posting that maximum dose. Do you know if there is a reason why some need so much more folic acid than the normal prenatal? I guess in your case it's because your daughter (who looks sooooo cute in your avatar) has spina bifida. This is my first I'm wtt for, is there any thing that would mean I should take a higher dose?
From what you have said though I think if I went for pregnacare I'd have an extra folic acid to make the dose to 800mcg scince that's the norm in USA (if it doesn't hurt I'd rather take more than less).

Does anyone know about omega 3, Id much rather take a vegeterian one, anyone know if there ok to take?

Omega 3 is great the development of babies brain.

Some women have a problem where their body doesn't absorb enough Folic Acid for their baby. The biggest risk groups are women who are obese / have diabetes / take medications for epilepsy / have Spina Bifida or any other NTD in their family / have had more than 2 miscarriages

I too am really confused by vits - I saw my doctor yesterday and she told me that all I needed to take was Folic Acid. She warned me to be careful taking anything else because some vits can be harmful to the baby once you get pregnant.

I was planning to take prenatal vits but now I'm not too sure - maybe I will stick with just the folic acid and opt for a super healthy diet.

Good luck.

im really confused too!!

i take a bog standard multi vitamin (orders from the Doc!) and folic acid. the multi vitamin has it in already, but i thought it wouldnt do any harm to take a extra one.

but its all the rest im confused about!!

I ended up having to stop taking my vitamins and I will consult with my doctor about it next week. I was getting nauseous and dizzy before I would even take them (essentially, from the vitamin I had taken the day before) and read those to be mild side effects of an iron overdose! From this point, I'll probably just take a simple children's chewable until the doctor can address the issue and make a suggestion.

The folic is the most important part. You probably get a decent amount of anything else with a proper diet.

well im not really confused so to speak but im not gonna say that i know it all either. I'm taking a multivitamin and fishoil everyday and it seems to be helping. I have loads more energy and my heart doesnt feel like its pounding out of my chest.

Thank you for all your thoughts! I've started taking sanatogen mother to be, vege omega 3 and an extra folic acid. As far as I can tell that should cover all the basics and they are all safe in pregnancy.
Now I just have to wait till I can go get pregnant:haha:

i recently saw some santogen vitamins which were for couples. one set for men and one set for women, so i might get those

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->