vitex making me depressed?

StranjeGirl

First time mommy!
Reaction score
I typically get moody/depressed for a couple days before AF, but it usually lets up right when af starts. I'm on cd3 today and feeling really down and depressed. The only thing I can think of is that I started vitex a couple days ago. I took it last time when ttc, and now that I think about it I do remember feeling this way quite a bit. I hadn't linked it to the vitex because I started it right when I came off bc pills, and figured I was just adjusting and that I was stressed as I was ttc. But maybe it could be the vitex? ANyone else have a similar experience?

It is possible for Vitex to aggravate/bring on depression. You may need to play with your dose. Maybe start lower, give yourself time to see how your body is working with it, then increase if all is well. How much are you taking? What form? 800-1,000 mg is about average range to shoot for. I started out slowly and over the months found that if I took too much my anxiety and depression got worse. I take a 1:1 tincture and 1,000 mg I've found is perfect for me.

I know this is an old thread - I found it by searching as I've been having similar issues. I just wondered whether you stopped taking vitex and if so, whether the depression went away?

I'm currently lying awake at 5am - I never used to have insomnia, or depression. But recently I've been much more withdrawn, worrying about stupid things and generally feeling down much more than I used to. I've also been getting dizzy spells.

I'm just thinking that actually, this all started just after I began taking vitex...I'm wondering if the two are linked.

Both gals are in second trimester I believe and still active on the boards if you want to message them. I don't recall either still visiting ttc too much now that they are pregnant so you may want to message them. I personally had all kinds of hormonal fluctuations (acne, moods, etc) the first couple of cycles while everything straightened out so it's definitely possible! I would say after I adjusted and gave it time everything was so much better tho...and obviously just like sweetpoatatppi and stranjegirl am expecting most importantly :thumbup:

Good luck!

This popped up in my subs :) .

baby_rose, how much are you taking? You may need to cut back, start out slowly. I'm sorry you're feeling so down and hope you find balance soon :flower: . Keep us posted!

No second tri for me pandi :cry: . Had my third m/c in March and haven't been too active on the boards, just over the last week dippin my toes in more; NTNP for my sanity :winkwink: . Can't believe how close you are! :dance:

Thanks for your replies. Really sorry for your loss sweetpotato.

I've been taking 1000mg a day. I started taking it because I read it was good for PMS, but maybe I didn't really think it through properly before I started taking it.

I've been doing a lot of research today and it seems to be recommended for women with low progesterone...but there's nothing to suggest I have low progesterone. And actually, my cycles were extremely regular (to the day) before I started taking it, but the last few have been more irregular. :shrug:

Hmmmm. Am going to stop taking it and see if things get better. Would be interested to hear other experiences of vitex.

Hi ladies-
I was checking the ttc board and saw this thread and thought I would check it because I felt vitex had made me depressed...then I realized I started the thread lol.

Sweetpotato I am so sorry :cry: I hope ntnp brings you a sticky bfp very soon :hugs:

Novembersnow- I am sorry you are feeling this way. Honestly I am not sure if it was the vitex or not. I had taken it a few days and felt really really down, so I stopped and everything went back to normal. I started taking it again and I felt ok and got a bfp that month. I don't know if the depression had to do with the vitex or if it was just a coincidence. I took it when ttc #1 and I do remember being a bit depressed, but I'm not sure if it was related to the vitex- or maybe just hormonal changes due to stopping the pill. FYI- I don't know what my cycle was like before ttc #1 because I started vitex as soon as I got off the pill, but for ttc# 2 I had very regular cycles and no signs of progesterone problems- my luteal phase was really long and I got my progesterone checked and it was really high at 7 dpo (before I started the vitex this time around) Vitex made me O a few days later, but I got pg the first month on it this time. It was my 5th month of trying so I am not sure if it was coincidence or not. I do know that both times getting pg was my first month taking a combination of vitex and fertilecm. I was also taking some other things (geritol, b6) but separately those two things didn't do much for my ewcm, but together they gave me great ewcm and I got pg...again, I'm not sure it if it was just coincidence.

You can always try to stop and see if it makes a difference and then start again. Hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Sorry about that NovemberSnow! I'm usually on my phone if I'm able to get on here a spell and thought that baby_rose was the thread resurrector. So in essence I was speaking to both of you.

I absolutely adore Vitex. It's a gentle but powerful herb and it can indeed work you over a bit while it's working you over a bit ;) . It's not a get you pregnant herb though it makes the path smoother since it straightens your cycles out. If you don't have any cycle issues or possible hormonal imbalances it may not be the herb for you. I'll try and get back here when I have a bit more time and post some links about Vitex that I found helpful. And thank you NovemberSnow, hopefully my sticky bun is very patient :) .

Thanks so much for your responses! It's been really helpful to hear about the experiences of others.

I'm glad I've looked into it a bit more. It seems that for some women, vitex is absolutely amazing, but it doesn't seem to agree with everyone.

I stopped taking it a couple of days ago, will see what happens...

I know this is old but I'm glad it's still here because the same thing is happening to me on vitex. And I know my hormones are out of balance and probably it's not necessarily healthy to be a hard a$$, but this crying all day stuff is really not great.... It's like a dam I built to Not be that way broke. And maybe trying to Not be emotional caused my hormonal imbalances, I dunno, but I hope the water runs out soon because my mascara certainly has. God Willing it will help me conceive and stop miscarrying. Then it's ALL worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->