Wait for council or go private?

rachmumtobe

Reaction score
We live in a one bed flat, got no room and can't use the garden area because neighbours have large dogs and sometimes let them out on their own. It's really starting to get me down and so i asked oh to phone the council today to see where we stand with getting a house as we've been bidding near enough every week since F was born. We were told last March that it would take about a year and are now being told that it's 18 months waiting, so we wouldn't get a house until at least September. Some weeks there are just 6 houses to choose from and in areas we just wouldn't move to, so who knows when we're going to see a decent house in a decent area and then be lucky enough to be offered it. The lady on the phone did say that we could always private rent but then that would mean that we'd be dropped down a band on the council waiting list (it went up to a band 3 when we had F) and then we'd be waiting even longer for a council house because we'd obviously not be in serious need anymore. I was really hoping that we'd be getting a house before the summer and i'm now thinking it probably wont even be this year :( Me and oh are now stuck on what to do, whether to stick with the council or private rent???

If it was me I'd probably just private rent. I guess it depends on how long you can live where you are right now and whether you can cope for another year or so in such a small space especially as your LO gets bigger and more mobile.

Edit: plus there's no guarantee that they will have anything for you after that time, you could be waiting for another few months/year after that.

agree with PP!
we ended up private renting 4 days before LO arrived as i kept having panic attacks & freaking out about the crazy woman down stairs in our bedsit who was a drug addict & alcoholic. council wouldnt help us & i really didnt want us & LO living in 1 room!
the council do help us pay some of our rent now im not working/on mat leave though..

BUT we did have to find £100 for an estate agent to do a credit check & then £1800 for a deposit!! thank god for the bank of mum & dad!! x

It really does get to me sometimes, especially in the summer now we've got our lo i'd love for him to have a garden to play in. We pay most of our rent and soon may have to pay all of it so that's one reason i'm thinking we should just hold out for a council house as they're alot cheaper but when i think of not having a house for another year, it's a long time like u say with a growing baby, more toys etc. It's a nice area where we live now and we get on with all the neighbours but i really, really want a house! i'm obsessed haha. I'm worried that with going private that repairs wouldn't get done? can they put the rent up whenever they want? say they're selling and then we'd be homeless x

Well saying we get on with all the neighbours, we've lived there the longest and have had allsorts come and go. We've had drugs raids and all that but thankfully those neighbours have now left but who knows how long it is before we get more like that. I'm a nervous wreck now i've got F, and we've got cctv round the flat lol. The neighbours we've got at the mo are fine but if that all changes i know i wont be able to live here x

My understanding of it is that repairs are the landlords responsibility, at least that's how it is for everyone I know who rents. I'm not 100% on the putting the rent up thing but you will probably talk through all that with your new landlord before you've signed anything. Also they have to give you notice if they want you out so don't worry about them just deciding to sell without informing you.

I didn't even think about a deposit, hmmm better get saving x

But surely if your bidding then there is no time scale because it all depends who bids, what is available and where your placed.

I bid for my flat. I was only bidding 3 months whereas my friend is still bidding a year later. I moved out nearly two years ago.

I'd say if you really can't wait then go private but it wouldn't be something I would choose.

Are the areas you say you wouldnt live really that bad?We live in the 'rough' part of Norwich...and,touch wood,have had no problems at all...

We have a nursery which has been rated outstanding,3 supermarkets in walking distance,3 schools,parks the lot :D

sometimes its people who haven't lived there who usually go round saying its bad..

Are the areas you say you wouldnt live really that bad?We live in the 'rough' part of Norwich...and,touch wood,have had no problems at all...

We have a nursery which has been rated outstanding,3 supermarkets in walking distance,3 schools,parks the lot :D

sometimes its people who haven't lived there who usually go round saying its bad..

Agree, we live in a 'rough' part as its supposed to be student central. Granted when its freshers week its a bit louder at night but we have had no problems!

as others have said we also live in a really 'rough' area!!!
we are in a town thats got army barraks & so you can imagine its full off squadies & Chavs.
we live in Aldershot & its better known by Aldershite.. lol
anyway, we have been here since Feb & have had no problems at all. didnt get any trick or treaters at halloween & i thought we would have loads.
x

personally i would wait for a council property....... i wouldnt go private renting......you shouldnt have much longer to wait and i think it will be worth it in the end. xxx

Wait for a council place, you will never get back into council if you choose to go down the private route...september will be here before we all know it x x

i would wait for the council too, as hard as it's going to be. the rent is a lot cheaper.
we too live in the worse part in our area.. but we've literally had no issues whatsoever!! everyone keeps themselves to themselves. i must admit there's no 'community' spirit but that's quite rare now anyway.

If you are prepared to wait then stay where you are.

You have to gather a deposit for private renting which is usually 2 months rent upfront and then a charge for checks aswell, the plus side to private renting is you get to choose the area and what you'd like in a house (somewhat). The landlord is liable for all repairs on the property and must give warning on rent increase and a few months on having to leave the property.

I'd say the negative for council housing is that you don't know how long you will be on the list, "nice" areas are few and far inbetween because people go for them straight away and depending on their band then they get priority. Like some have said, places that are classed as "bad" areas tend to come from people who don't actually live there and have only heard it from someone else therefore building up assumptions.

Would you not get any help with rent should you choose private renting?

Thanks for all the advice :) Some areas i definitley wouldn't consider moving too, i have thought about others but they're still the areas that you'd get judged living at. I see it on Fb all the time, people being made out to be a certain way just because of where they live and i wouldn't want that for myself and certainly not F. Anyway onto something else because it winds me up. Not sure how they can estimate it'll take 18 months but that's what they told us. I wonder what the legal age a child has to have their own room by? i mean seperate from sleeping with mum n dad. Has anyone gone with a housing association and how are they different from the council? xx

its a year that they have to be in their own room providing the council say your cramped..

our council waiting list is 6 years, there was no way i was living in a box room with LO!! they told me we had plenty of space as LO could have our room, OH sleep on living room floor & me on the sofa!!
x

Really? omg is just gets worse. Not much to look forward to then :(

you say people get judged for living in places but judged by who?and to be honest,does it really matter?
We wouldnt have chose to live where we do,but its really not that bad.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"