Waiting for a while before I will introduce cow's milk.

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
Am I crazy ? Is this bad?

I saw that a few girls on here have introduced their babies to cow's milk.

Not sure I want to do it just yet, I prefer Josh stays on formula as long as possible + we don't really drink cow's milk (we drink soy milk mostly). There is a lot more vitamins + iron in his formula than there is in cow's milk.

Am I the only one that wants to wait it out?

I thought you weren't meant to give cows milk to drink until they are a year old. I know you can cook foods using cows milk at 6 months but I still haven't done that.

I will be waiting till Erin is a year old before giving her cows milk she is doing fine on Aptamil and loves it. xxx

I thought you weren't meant to give cows milk to drink until they are a year old. I know you can cook foods using cows milk at 6 months but I still haven't done that.

I will be waiting till Erin is a year old before giving her cows milk she is doing fine on Aptamil and loves it. xxx

I thought that too, but some people give it to their much younger than 12month old babies ! I haven't started cooking with it either, but he gets loads of yogurt and cheese. Also has calcium formula.

We haven't given any to Hannah, she has had yogurt and cheese like Josh but that's it.

We havent given Hannah any cows milk yet other than what she gets in cheese and yogurt. Not sure yet when we'll start introducing it.

You can give it earlier for babies with reflux... some people will give cows milk and then a bottle of formula for the vitamins. Once a babie is having regular meals it isnt as necessary to give formula.

my doc said to wait until he's 1. The same with cheese. If your LO is eating chese with cows milk in it isnt it the same as drinking the milk?

Then again, some formula and some foods (biscuits etc) have milk proteins in it too. It's all quite confusing.

I'm pretty sure that dairy in my diet increased colic in my LO so I'm waiting a while. Not sure how long though..I want to give him cheese and cook with milk, but havent yet.

I will be starting to give Valerie Organic Vitamin D Whole Cow's Milk here once she turns a year old. My husband is an organic farmer and I have been doing a lot of research on what is best to have once they turn a year old. Valerie is breastfed right now...I would love to continue past a year with BF'ing, but we'll be transitioning to cow's milk. I have not given Valerie any cheese or yogurt; as those things are made with cow's milk...so I've been trying to refrain from those until she is a year. We'll see!

I haven't given Sam any yet either - I'm waiting until he's 12 months to give him it as a drink (he's been having it in his porridge and having yogurts and cheese for a while though). I think I'll start giving him tastes of it from 11 months just to get him used to it before he starts drinking it properly though x

i dont give josh it to drink in bottles. bt my hv said at his 8month check up that babies can have cows milk in their porridge/cereal etc but not until their 1 year 2 drink

im also waiting till charlie is 1 i might give him a taste of it at about 11 months though xx

I wanted to wait it out till 12 months too but once max was diagnosed with reflux at 6 months we noticed that in the morning when he had cows milk with his cereal he never spit up or was uncomfortable , so we tried him on half/half bottles and he seemed to do so much better ..so after about 2 weeks I gave him a full bottle of cows milk and he loved it and had no signs of reflux , hes been on organic 3.8% cows milk now for 2 months and still no signs of reflux ..

We saw the dr last week and she was pleased to know hes gotten much better with his reflux ..hes got no gas and no pain ..although IM still giving him one bottle of formula during the day to keep up the vits he needs

i dont get it - whats the difference between makign porridge with cows milk and drinking cows milk? Surely its all the same?!
Gosh, it's all so confusing isnt it..

over 1 dont they still need follow on milk? I mean, it cant be substitued with cows milk can it? OR can it? i'm clueless..

i dont get it - whats the difference between makign porridge with cows milk and drinking cows milk? Surely its all the same?!
Gosh, it's all so confusing isnt it..

over 1 dont they still need follow on milk? I mean, it cant be substitued with cows milk can it? OR can it? i'm clueless..

I think the thing is more that they need the vitamins from formula before they turn 1, not that the cow's milk is harmful to them. Having food with cow's milk in it is fine in addition to having the formula because they're still getting all the vitamins from their formula.

Over 1, they don't need follow on milk. As long as their meals are healthy and balanced, they should be completely fine with cow's milk. My HV reckons all the follow on milks are a bit of an extra money-making thing.

Ella has cows milk in her cereal , but hasnt had a drink with it just in, Although im sure its pretty much the same really?

I've been giving it to my girls for the last month (I know, should of waited until a year). Made the mistake of being at a family get together for Christmas and didn't have formula on me (how do you forget to bring that!) and they were screaming so thought a little milk couldn't hurt but after that they totally refused their formula. I talked to their doctor and she said it was fine since they were so close to a year. When you do introduce milk though make sure it's whole milk, 1% or 2% don't have the fats that babies need to grow in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->