wAITING LIST FOR ICSI

obe

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Can anyone give me some advise on the waiting time on NHS for ICSI in the yorkshire area?

Just been back to the doctors for my partners ST results, they werent great!
There is only a small % of good sperm and its sluggish.
I had my first blood test done last weekend which came back ok, just waiting for a scan appointment with the hospital and need to do another blood test to see if im ovulating. After ive had these results back then we can be sent to a FS.
Speaking to the doctor today, she wasnt sure of the lenght of the waiting list but was sure we would be able to use NHS for the treatment. My parntner had the snip after having children with his ex (I dont have children) which I thought would mean we would have to go private, but she said this was not the case.
Any help would be great!!!

Hi there. I hope it is different for you up there because down here in the South you cannot get free NHS treatment when one of you has a child/children.
I have a son so cannot. Unfortunatley it is irrelevant if the child is maternal or paternal, it's still not allowed. My Uncle had a child from a previous marriage so was not entitled either. They had to go private.

Good luck :)

In Somerset we are allowed two goes of IVF/ICSI as long as there is no child from the relationship. If there is a paternal or maternal child it is ok. This rule has only changed in the last few months. I am sure if your Doctor has said it will be fine, it will be, as she must be aware of the funding criteria in your area. So that is good!

A lot of PCTs are trying to get the wait down to an 18 week minimum but all too many are still well over a year sop its a lottery. I hope somone on here knows the score for your area. Fingers crossed for you xxxx

We are starting ICSI treatment in next couple of months. I am very excited....

Hi

It depends on which PCT you are in. They vary quite a bit even within Yorkshire. We're in Wakefield and the wait apparently was 3 years. As far as I know we are still on the list (3 years is up) and have never been contacted.

I have a document on waiting times in different PCTs which I could email you if you want. It's a few years old but it'll give you an idea. PM me your email address if you do.

I live in the North West and it's the same here. If your partner has children then you are not entitled to free treatment. Have they advised you what your PCT guidelines are? I've been looking it up for you but it seems to differ depending on if you are in North or South Yorkshire. For North Yorkshire it says that existing children rule out eligibility. If she said you could be treated then it might just be that you are in a lucky postcode.

You'd most likely need some testing before being put on the waiting list. Scans, tube checks and the like. Takes awhile but it's mostly a few months.

Thanks guys,
I thought that having children from a previous relashionship would mean that you would not have help with the NHS. Im not sure the doctor fully understands this, she was only young and I think she is still in training, although she has been brilliant when we have been to see her. When I brought the subject up of NHS she said she couldnt see why my partner having children and having the snip should stop me from having children. I think she is looking into it abit more for us.
Im just waiting for a scan appointment and secound blood test before we go any further and then I hope things will move quickly.
Its all so confusing!!!

I never understood why this was an issue either but it was spelt out in no uncertain terms to us when we had our first IVF appointment. "Under no circumstances would the NHS fund treatment should it be discovered that your partner has children from previous relationships" - they are very strict about this.

You are still a long way off IVF/ICSI though, really. That really is the last stop. If you're not ovulating they'd need to try Clomid first. Obviously, you need investigations first. Sperm analysis and blood testing is the early stages. They like to know exactly what they are up against before they will put you forward for treatment.

HSG would probably be the next step. It's long and tiring but people are often so eager to skip to IVF/ICSI when sometimes it's something else that's stopping them from getting pregnant. IVF/ICSI is always Last Chance Saloon, kind of thing, and hopefully you will not need it.

Yes I think we have a long way to go, its just very frustrating! I would not be at all suprised to be told we cant have help with the NHS due to my partner having kids already so I think we need to start saving the pennies!
The problem we have is with his sperm count after having the reversal, of course I need to be checked over too to make sure im ok, but the main problem is his sperm is very slow (of what good sperm there is) so at least we know whats wrong. There is still a small chance I could fall pregnant without help, and I pray to god that it happens.

It's probably something to think about. I just know that it's the same for most PCTs and I would hate for you to get your hopes up and then have no back up plan. The stage you are at now, you still have a fair way to go before it comes to IVF/ICSI so if you could start putting money away now it would probably be a good thing. If it is that you don't need it, you still have money saved for other things that you will most likely need, down the line.

Don't they say that it takes awhile for sperm to get back to normal after a reversal? That is something I have heard, anyway, not sure how true that is. There are ways of helping sperm, though, ways of upping the count and motility. He needs to look into dietary changes as well as cutting out alcohol and caffeine. Start taking zinc. I have (had) a friend whose partner had a sperm count of basically zero. He made a few lifestyle changes and his sperm count AND motility increased by a large margin and she got pregnant not long after.

Well he is fairly healthy already, he doent drink or smoke, goes to the gym 4 days a week so theres not much he could change in that area. I am intersested in looking into suppliments though which may help. So would the Zinc be a good start?
It can take a few months after the reversal to get back to normal, but we were told after the 1st sperm count (which was low) that it would pretty much stay the same.
Are there ways of helping with the sperm count rather than going down the ICSI route?

Zinc and one of the Vitamins, not sure if its B or what. If he drinks coffee he should probably stop though.

I remember watching (don't laugh) Extreme Makeover and one of the things the bloke was having done was a reversal. The surgeon told him not to expect miracles straight away, that it can sometimes take awhile before things start getting back to normal and coming through.

When they said it will stay the same, is there a reason why they said that? Like I said, I knew of a person who had a basically zero sperm count and he went on the zinc, cut out the caffeine and she got pregnant within a few months. The next sperm count was something like three months later and it was miles better.

Yes, there is. To be honest, ICSI really is the last thing you should be thinking about. It's only when there is basically no hope, or all else has failed, that you go down that route.

10 Ways you can Increase Your Sperm Count

1. Have sex & masturbate less often - the more times you ejaculate, the less dense your semen will be. Maintain a gap of 2 to 3 days between two consecutive ejaculations.

2. Refrain from habits like smoking, alcohol consumption etc. - Alcohol affects your liver function, which, in turn, causes a dramatic rise in estrogen levels. Even two drinks a day will have long-term effects on sperm production

3. Exercise regularly.Exercising your PC muscle can help you shoot further than ever before.

4. Eat Nutritious Food - Diet that's low in fat, and high in protein, vegetables, and whole grains is good for your health and for your sperm. Avoid bitter, astringent and spicy foods.Reduce caffeine intake

5. Avoid heating of testicles - Wear loose, cotton boxer shorts, Avoid hot baths and saunas

6. Lose any excess weight, which tends to cause testosterone/oestrogen imbalances.

7. Reduce stress levels by learning relaxation techniques - Keep your mind and body healthy by regular practice of YOGA and MEDITATION.

8. Massage body with herbal oil, which improves blood circulation.

9. Try supplements - Certain natural supplements promise to increase sperm production. Checkout some Natural and Herbal, no side effects supplements at

10. Make love in the early morning or afternoon. Sperm levels are often highest in the mornings.

Also: -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/sexy/spermrace.shtml

Six sub-fertile men whose sperm counts were between 5-20million were put on a high nutrient smoothie diet to see if they could improve their levels of motility, morphology, sperm count and DNA fragmentation with the aim of reaching the 100% target.

Mid-way through the study, one couple had conceived and by the end there was a consistent improvement in the quality of all of the men’s sperm, especially in the sperm DNA levels.

Great, at least we can do something that will help!
Ive just been down to the health shop and stocked up on some vits so it might give us a nudge in the right direction!
Still waiting for a hospital appointment to have the scan done to check im ok (fingers crossed I will be) but I havnt heard anything yet. My doctor actually called me today to see if they had booked me in!
It was the doctor we are seeing at the moment that said his sperm count wouldnt really change now (he had the reversal a year ago), but I think its more to do with how much healthy sperm is coming through, as she said 'its quality not quantity'
Do you have a good doctor thats helped you?

It is quality, but that is wrong, what she said, that his sperm count will not change, unless she means solely in relation to the reversal. My OH's sperm count changed over four months. There was nothing wrong with his sperm count to begin with but he started taking Zinc and when he had his second test his count had gone up by quite a bit, so it can change. They wouldn't recommend all of the dietary supplements and changes if count is irreversible.

Can improve the quantity as well as the quality, I do believe. You are on the right direction getting in the vitamins and the like.

TBH my doctors have mostly been very rushed and half-arsed and I don't really know where I am with them at all but I am hoping that will change when I actually see a proper consultant. So far it's only ever been registrars who barely know our files at all.

Well thats good to know, the vits must help! Ive got him on the zinc and L-arginine now so I hope they help, it cant do any harm anyway!
Our doc has been a great help so im hoping she will point us in the right direction, trouble is not all doctors are that great and can be quite flippent and not really arsed about you.
Hope they give you a good consultant and they give you the help and advise you need!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->