Waiting to cut cord?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
Is anyone else planning on waiting until the cord has stopped pulsating before cutting it?

Yes. I wanted to last time but the doctor was worried about blood loss from the epis. We got a few minutes but not as long as I'd have liked. Ideally I'd like a natural third stage and after reading about lotus births it'd be nice to keep her attached a little while after delivery, all being well.

Off the of my head I'm thinking maybe 10 mins ish, though that could be entirely made up! Lol Someone on here will know.

I want to delay cord clamping and then I'm cutting it.

I want to maximize baby getting everything it can from the placenta but also time where it's just me and them all wet and new and brilliant...I didnt get any of that last time so I plan on indulging myself this time around.

I'm planning on waiting again. We waited until it had stopped pulsating after DD was born before hubby cut the cord and I want to wait again this time.

xx

The time it takes to stop from pulsing at the umbilical base varies from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours. (This info was taken from a midwifery textbook) Delayed clamping has so many benefits to both mother and baby.

Holy geez that's some time! I'd like to wait as long as possible to clamp and cut. They cut my sons immediately after he came out and I was disappointed.

The 15-45 minutes is for the cord to stop pulsing in the center. However, it is best to wait until it stops pulsing at the base of the umbilicus, which is usually 1 1/2 to 3 hours :flower:

I personally waited 12 hours before cutting my DS2's cord. Much to my surprise, there was still a little blood in it and we had to tie it. I'm thinking next time I'm going to have a Lotus birth.

I LOVE the sound of Lotus. I think if I had anymore that's the way I'd go.

We've left ours to pulse with all 3. I cant remember with my first baby but the second as 15 mins and the 3rd was 10 mins with the placenta delivered straight after (physiological). There is some anecdotal evidence that if the mum stays in the same position if helps speed up a physiological 3rd stage. My last clients took 35 mins and she was sat in the same spot in the pool for comfort having skin to skin. It seemed much shorter actually. BFing also helps too.

A baby who's cord is clamped right away doesnt have all the blood it's supposed to start life with. Sometimes it's necessary to clamp but if it's not then they should ideally be allowed to have ALL their blood and the goodness that goes with it. Effectively it's like them having a hemorrhage if it's not allowed to cross over.

What's the relationship (if any) between pulsating and natural third stage? I realise MM has said a bit in the post above. Can the placenta naturally come while the cord is pulsing or does it not detach until after? Does perhaps the cessation of pulsing trigger the third stage?

What's the relationship (if any) between pulsating and natural third stage? I realise MM has said a bit in the post above. Can the placenta naturally come while the cord is pulsing or does it not detach until after? Does perhaps the cessation of pulsing trigger the third stage?

That's a great question. I have no answers, but I can't wait to read one. :)

I would imagine that the placenta will have to have stopped or almost stopped pulsing to detach.....the source of the pulsing being your circulation via the placenta and down the cord.....so once the blood vessels begin to close off and so the placenta detaches I'd assume there is nothing to 'pump' the blood so if it hasnt already stopped it would naturally stop right after it comes away.....:shrug: Does that even make sense? :lol: That's my guess but I will ask my MW friend for a proper explanation!

That does make sense but assumes that the connections between the placenta and the uterus are directly physiologically linked to blood flow (which of course is probably the case) by which I mean there could be another mechanism that causes detachment and the shutting off of the blood, naturally detachment must cause the cord to stop pulsing as there will be no pulse anymore, it being a maternal pulse. But it would be so interesting if, for example, bf triggered hormonal release in the baby that fed back to the placenta triggering hormonal release there which caused the blood flow to cease and tha in turn caused detachment of the placenta. It's fascinating to think of how these different processes might be connected and the influences they might exert. It could be the placenta stuff is entirely materially driven; could be mother hormones from bf that stimulate it. Could be that waiting a little to bf could actually prolong the time tip detachment, in a good way, allowing more blood to flow to the baby. I wonder if it's even at all understood?!

I imagine it is a hormonal trigger as everything else with labour and birth very much is. Perhaps it's the flood of oxytocin once the baby is there that triggers it......I'll certainly as the question of the medical peeps and see what their understanding is....I imagine it's quite complex!

I bet it's not fully understood. Clearly the synthetic hormone detaches the placenta but I bet that's not the whole story in a natural delivery.

Here's a question. Would you rather have cord traction done if you've past the hour limit they usually allow or would you rather just have the shot since baby is no longer attached to it?

I'd wait longer than an hour. I dont like the idea of traction at all.

I asked a few times in hospital and had it on my birth plan which they told me in labour they dont do that. so I didnt get that. :( I know this is home birth but its great home birth I think as you can choose to do that. I wish my hospital had done this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->