Waiting to cut cord?

I really wanted to delay cord clamping with my last babe, unfortunately I have c-sections, and the Dr. really isnt patient with waiting.
I wonder if anyone has advice on how to ask for delayed clamping/cutting with a c-section.

I don't see why not, as they can still stitch you up while the baby is connected to the placenta. But I'm not sure, I think it would depend on your surgeon etc... asking can't hurt, and you could explain how important it is to you, and it wouldn't delay them with their job.

I honestly can't see that this is a practical or good idea unfortunately.

My reasons are that like any major surgery, while you are cut open through all the layers of tissue, those open wounds are seeping blood. Local drugs are used to stem the flow of blood to the open faces of tissue, but too much and you restrict the flow of blood so much that the tissue starts to starve.
Also there is a huge risk of infection. Your insides are not used to being outside, and are usually totally sterile.

Theoretically if you waited, ie - left the cord intact, after baby was out of your uterus from your open incision .. the same hormones would start to contract the uterus - There is little time to get a complete placenta out, perform d&v (some don’t) plus your surgeon ideally should start to do suturing before the uterus becomes too contracted. This is so there is more complete joining of the circular and striated muscles of the uterus, your hernia layer, your stomach muscles, and your skin.

Any benefit to this route is out weighed the complications and risks.. sorry
Though, I totally agree it is your right to ask.

Or - unless, you are thinking of the surgical removal of the placenta, leaving the cord uncut - so and baby, cord and placenta removed as one? That would be possible in theory, there would be a matter of doing obs on baby not too far from your womb in an op theatre, until babies breathing is established while waiting for the placenta to be detached surgically, after the introduction of drugs to detach (these are similar to the first drug used in a medical abortion, they detach the pregnancy from the uterus, but don't start contractions)

Sorry, I don't think there is much light at the end of this tunnel.
XxX

You just made me think now. Do they not remove the placenta as well when you have a c-section? Or do you pass that naturally through your lady bits like if you had a Vaginal Delivery? For some reason I just assumed they yanked that out of you as well.

The placenta comes right out after the baby during a c-section. Baby delivery time and placenta delivery time are usually 1 minute apart. They don't "yank" it really. It's more of a gentle traction on the cord and it pops right out.

Very very gentle traction on the cord 10-15 minutes after a vaginal delivery and the placenta will usually pop right out as well. No injections needed.

You just made me think now. Do they not remove the placenta as well when you have a c-section? Or do you pass that naturally through your lady bits like if you had a Vaginal Delivery? For some reason I just assumed they yanked that out of you as well.

They do remove the placenta with a c-section.
There would be a danger of retained placenta if it was left in the womb after a c-section.. So I doubt that would be something that a surgeon would ever want to do.
What I was trying to say was the you could not have the cord cut during a c-section and theoretically have baby cord and placenta in one piece (as it were), if you wanted to do a lotus. Though I think even this would be a big ask too.
xxx

Ah I get it now.

I'm still not a fan of cord traction at all though. I've put on my birth plan that if after an hour the Placenta still hasn't come out that I will have the shot without any cord traction. I kinda hope it takes ages for the cord to stop pulsing so I get lots of cuddles without being rushed. :)

Can you wait to cut the cord if you have a managed 3rd stage?
I have a large fibroid and have been advised to have a managed 3rd stage (I did last time as well) to ensure I don't bleed too much, as it is a high risk with a large fibroid. I am happy to do this, as I would rather that then have to be rushed into hospital after baby is born because of bleeding.
So does the cord need to be cut or clamped before they give you the injection or could it be given and the placenta essentially is out but baby is still attached and getting that core blood etc?

Yes you can delay clamping and have a managed third stage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->