Wanting #2 but scared of labour

Sarah88

Full time working mummy
Reaction score
I would love another child (in a few yrs granted), but how do you get over the fears of labour? I was fine with my first as I didn't know what the pain was like, but with the next I will know.

I loved my labour and have fond memories, however when I think of having another child it brings back the bad parts of labour (transition mainly- the begging for an epidural or caeser). I don't want to go through the 12hrs of contractions (given it was only 6hrs of active labour), and the sleepless nights again.

How did mummies of #2 or more get over these fears?

Did you have natural birth with no pain relief? I had the same then and it was amazing moment, My labour was not that long, i was in labour (after the doctor broke my water) for 3 hours and 20min to push him out OUCH! If there's guarantee it will be this quick for my 2nd baby (want to have in a few years time) I would have natural birth again,lol

You just have to - Im the same have been t hinking about it but I'm pregnant what can I do? Has to be done lol

My consultant settled my mind a bit even after birth 1 I'd still like no epi and she said to me after your first its usually easier and quicker for mums 2nd+ round (in short).

You think of knowing what to expect as bad, maybe its not such a bad thing. You know whats coming so you can prepare yourself and generally deal with it a lot better. I know i was pretty scared during labour as i didnt know what to expect. I think second time around knowing what to expect would deffo help me a bit.

Also like Wobbles said ive heard the more you have the easier/quicker it gets lol

Seriously, I am much more prepared feeling now, and I like to think my body is going to know better how to deal and go through it again. I had a mild epidural, but who knows maybe the second one I wont need one? Im scared of tearing still though, I didn't tear or need to be cut... but im still afraid it will happen.

I was absolutely bricking it when i was pregnant with callum, didnt even give it a 2nd thought the first time round. But its just something that you've got to do. And i think normally your 2nd is easier than your first, that wasnt the case for me tho but my friend has 3 kids and each one was easier and quicker.

I am totally ready for labor number 2. I was and still am terribly disappointed with my birth experience with Brennan and can't wait for another crack at having a homebirth. It is just the baby afterwards that I am SOOO not ready for. :)

The thought of going through labour/c-section again haunts me. I actually stay awake some nights thinking about how horrible my hospital stay was and how much pain I was in. I was completely traumatized and still not over it. And I'm not even planning on another one! :rofl:

I do think though, like some other ladies said, that it will be easier because you'll know what to prepare for. I was in absolutely no way prepared for how much it was going to hurt after a c-section, but if I have to go through it again then at least I know that once you actually get up, it doesn't feel like you're going to die, etc. I would assume the same for you - you know how to cope with contractions better, you know how much it really does hurt, etc. I would think it'd be easier.

i didnt think about it till i was pregnant again and at first i was excited about labour, but when it all started i soon thought 'oh god what have i done' lol but as you know its completely worth it all, me and DH dont think we will have anymore though because of Kairens birth being so scary its put us off having anymore lol! but ill probably change my mind later on LOL

When i fell pregnant with number 2, i was really worried about labour all over again as i started to remember all the negative parts of my labour with Leigha who gave me a lovely 28 hour labour and had to have a vontouse. But with Tom, i cant remember exsaclty how long i was in labour for, around 6 hours i think, and we was home after 6 hours of him being born.

If u know what to expect, you know what to prepare for :) x

Did you have natural birth with no pain relief? I had the same then and it was amazing moment, My labour was not that long, i was in labour (after the doctor broke my water) for 3 hours and 20min to push him out OUCH! If there's guarantee it will be this quick for my 2nd baby (want to have in a few years time) I would have natural birth again,lol

Yeah, I had all natural no drugs and I really did like it that way. I spose next one will be quicker, my 6hr labour was the slowest in our family... Maybe i'll have an hr and half like my aunt with her 2nd.

lmao.. I freakin wish my labour was only 6 hours! Mine was like 14! 6, maybe I coulda done without the epidural.

Yeah, mine was 21.5 with a csection in the end-he ended up being just too big and wasn't even entering my birth canal after 2-2.5 hours of straight pushing.

I am not worried about my second at all. I would actually much rather have a VBAC than another section though. Mainly because I was tramatized by it.. lost so much blood I passed out and didn't get to see or have those "first moments" with my baby for the first two hours of his life. :cry: I dreamed of the moment they pulled him out and set him on my belly throughtout my whole pregnancy, it brought me to tears with happiness.. then to end in an emergency section and not seeing him for two hours was the worst thing I"ve ever experienced.
However, I will probably end with a section the second time as big babies do run in the family and I'm too small to deliver a big baby. Although, with the second I will be more prepared and I will be pumping my blood back in my body as it comes out :rofl:

I know I was lucky, but labour still sucks! Why couldn't it be a magic delivery that doesn't hurt?

My consultant settled my mind a bit even after birth 1 I'd still like no epi and she said to me after your first its usually easier and quicker for mums 2nd+ round (in short).

my doctor said the same,quicker and easier. OH said how can it be quicker because it took me only 20 min to push the first baby out:rofl: that's good news anyway:winkwink:

i having a planned section next time after the hellish labour and emegerency section i had with jack i emotionaly cant put myself through that again x

Scared to death of a second labor, 32 hours and 3 hours of pushing :shock: and ended with a vacuum delivery. A lot went wrong though that they didn't know until the very LAST minute.

i am also scared still of going through the whole labour thing again so soon. how blissfully ignornat i was before. i had a horrible labour, and have changed hospital for the delivery of #2. i'm going to have to do lots of work, in order to be in the right place to be able to do labour again. some days i think about it and i think i can;t do it. some times i think i can, i'll be strong by then. god knows. having more time between them would've been better for me (Time to become blissfully ignornant again lol)

All said, we all managed it however traumatic it was (believe me it was for me!) but we should all be so proud and safe in the knowledge that we've done it before an CAN do it again whether we want to or not! We all lived to tell the tale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->