WARNING: Fake bugaboos!!

B

babyfenway

Hello ladies.

I brought a bugaboo cameleon second hand a few weeks ago. I was trying to find some green covers for it last night and came across the eBay account of the lady I brought my pram from- I brought the green fabrics and it said on the listing "check out my other items for sale", so I did. Well, she was selling another 5 or so bugaboo packages which I thought was weird. A lot of them were described as new or nearly new- again, though that was weird.

I went and asked on a bugaboo group that I am on what they thought. They told me she could be a business OR she was selling the fake Bugaboo and buying the bugaboo toppings to put on them and making a huge profit. So we went through some stages on verifying whether or not my cameleon is genuine, and it isn't.

Why:
-it was a black chassis. She used vinyl tape to cover over the chassis, a popular thing to do according to the people of this group. We noticed this mainly because there was no chassis sticker (I didn't realise there should be) and when I went picking all the bar- funnily enough, the tape came away.

How to spot a fake bugaboo:
-look at the chassis. Does it have a serial number? If its a Black one, do an unpicking action if you can see any joins and see if tape comes away. Also gently scratch at it as some people spray them black. It will not damage a genuine chassis or the paint
- look at the wrist strap. It should say "do not jog with our bugaboo". If it says "do not jog with your mi wheels" it's a fake
-look at the carrycot. There should be a label on the bottom that says bugaboo cameleon. If not, it's a fake. If you can't get tr aprons on the cot, again it's a fake.

This replica brand (mi wheels) looks IDENTICAL to the cameleon with a cameleon seat/carrycot and hood on or a a skeleton. HOWEVER- it is not safe to use!!!

Please can I stress to anyone with one who brought it second hand that you check it is genuine- take it to a local bugaboo supplier if needs be and contact yor local trading standards.

Luckily I reported the seller to eBay and she has been removed- but there are more out there!!

Can I make a replica post of this is pregnancy club to warn people?!

Meant to add- if you have a seat with pockets on the back- this is not genuine bugaboo. It's from a mi wheels

yes, the miwheels range are meant to not be very stable from what i here. People coveple arering with bug covers.
sorry you got caught out hun :flower:
x

I phoned an Ergo carrier stockist (listed on ergo website) yesterday, she was telling me about the number of fake ergos on the market (particularly on ebay), she then went on to tell me about the fake bugaboos. She said someone had brought one into their shop that needed repairing, the lady had bought it from ebay. She said they spotted straight away that it was fake!

Firstly I will start by saying I'm a absolute buggy-a-holic, so being jooped is not only near on impossible but very embarrassing with my previous 2 children I had 24 buggies all pretty much high end travel systems that I bought brand new including Bugaboos. I'm currently 27 weeks pregnant and during may I was scouring Ebay for Bugaboo customs as I had already decided I wanted a Limited edition Black chassis Cam and was waiting for them to come back into stock in Mothercare. Whilst searching on fleabay I came across a listing for the exact buggy I wanted RRP £839 (although at that time MC were offering a 10% if you signed up to their parenting club thingy) so potentially could have paid £779. For £660 this appeared cheap but not TOO cheap certainly not alarm bells cheap when reading the description... basically seller was describing as having bought the lim ed Cam from MC and then turned up at her baby shower and her family had also got her same buggy, so she wanted a quick sale. Of course they used 'stock' pictures from bugaboo website/google as it was in a sealed box - again no alarm bells. signed sealed delivered. Two days later I get a knock from the courier and my branded bugaboo box arrived complete with gorgeous all black lim ed cam. The chassis looks and feels exactly like the genuine thing...no vinyl or paint but powder coated just like original. the strap has exactly the right writing and wording on it, the logos on the fabrics are pristine no bleeding transfers or smudged branding nothing but in my mind a perfect bugaboo waiting to be packed away for our little bundle of joy. so its packed away for a month and then I read about these new AMAZING fakes and I think to myself better just check mine so checked for all of the above tell tale signs and nothing- its perfect.
The forum I was reading said the only obvious sign with these fakes is that the wheels are not embossed with the branding. so I check the wheels and there is no branding my heart sinks.
I ring bugaboo who ask me to read the serial number off of the bottom of the chassis - yay I have a sticker with this information it must be real right? NO the lady advises me that the label is a bugaboo serial number but for a silver framed one from 2009 and it has been 'claimed and in use'.
So in mean time ebayer is no longer registered it is out of 45 day returning period that paypal will cover me for ( after looking through the feedback 2 other people had also bought buggies with same description around same time I have since contacted them and bugaboo have verified that they also have fake bugs) the ebayer has used different names and alias's throughout changing their details the whole time. Trading standards are not interested in counterfeit items now unless they are dangerous I can not prove it is dangerous as I have not had the baby yet and I will not use my new born as a crash test dummy in something that could be potentially lethal.
Ebay and paypal are not accepting any liability even though they are facilitating these people to sell fake items to unsuspecting people. I have shared this info as I really do have loads of buggy experience and even looking at the buggy in front of me now knowing that it is counterfeit I still cannot believe it, it doesn't look cheap or unsturdy or have any of the tell tale signs in the above post of a 'Fake' buggy, It looks EXACTLY the same and even has a genuine bugaboo chassis number.
Previous people who have bought these have said that their babies have 'rolled around in them' - obviously not ideal for new borns, that wheels have fallen off and that the chassis is not 'weighted' like the genuine ones which means they could potentially roll away or fall over as they are too light.
Things to look out for if buying a second hand bugaboo:
*No embossing on wheels
*The zips can be on wrong side of fabrics which you wouldn't notice until you go to change them for genuine ones and they don't fit.
*The wrist strap on handle bar can be slightly shorter
*The box that the fabrics and instructions come with is white gloss on outside and brown 'raw' card on inside (a genuine bugaboo fabric pack comes with heavy white gloss card throughout)
*Even if it has all the stickers and chassis numbers ring bugaboo and ensure it relates to the same model.
Aside from that there is no real obvious difference at all.
I am now £660 out of pocket, with a buggy I refuse to use and even if I wanted to sell I couldn't as i would be knowingly selling a counterfeit item.
I hope this post helps someone who may be considering buying a bugaboo from a auction site.

Just to add, even though its a bumped up thread - the mi wheels does not pass Uk testing either

Theres a really good blog somewhere where someone questions the seller on its safety, but i can't find it, but here is another review from eBay and a blog post

https://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Mi-Wheels-a-dangerous-Bugaboo-Fake?ugid=10000000017055359
https://goodnightebay.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/mi-wheels-avoidillegal-copy-of-bugaboo.html

Edit - found the blog post I was talking about
https://strollerman.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/irresponsible-sellers-of-lethal.html

Christ!! That's a joke. I'm so glad I got mine in mothercare

I didn't know this either. Just about to put mine on eBay so will stress its authenticity and serial number

Ive spotted tons of fake ergo baby carriers as well. Looks the same but with "new" colours.

Just to add: As alot of the fakes are imported from the Far East there could also be issues with the fabrics as all materials that come into contact with children and Babies in the UK undergo stringent testing They could be flammable etc so please please please if you're considering buying a Bugaboo new get it from reputable shop or if second hand collect from sellers house and check for the correct chassis number its not just about the item being fake its also the safety element.... I literally saved around £90, £660 is hardly a bargain for something I can't use!

It's really sad to think people are cashing in and duping unsuspecting buyers. And to think its substandard unsafe stuff they are selling too. They should be ashamed of themselves, they are disgusting.

turnipstar how did you fund your paypal payment? was it from a credit card or a debit card with a visa logo you might be able to get a refund from cc company or your bank. I have heard of others getting refunds finally that way.

if you paid by credit card you can complain ( for a full refund) to your credit card provider under section 75 consumer credit act. If they don't give you a satisfactory response within eight weeks you can complain to the financial ombudsman.

Here's a bit more about paypal payments in particular https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/
worth call to your bank at least.

turnipstar how did you fund your paypal payment? was it from a credit card or a debit card with a visa logo you might be able to get a refund from cc company or your bank. I have heard of others getting refunds finally that way.

I paid via Paypal with my visa debit - My bank offer a protection service however I do not feel it is down to them to be reimbursing me, i shall be persuing the issue with Paypal as they facilitate these people by protecting them with their 45 day policy, Obviously if it is not successful I will follow up with my bank although their policy states that they will not reimburse against a individual, only traders.

Geez, is everything baby related so expensive in the uk? I can get a new bugaboo at nordstroms for $700 not £700

This is so horrible, i love my bugaboo! there is a listing on ebay for a mi wheels now look
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mi-Wheel...es_parts_ET&hash=item2c679dc3de#ht_500wt_1203

is this what your talking about? x x

Does anyone know if a fake bugaboo bee is around? I have just brought one from eBay and nervous about it now!

I don't see why they have to dupe people, I'd totally buy a fake one, I even looked for one that was a similar setup but at a less ridiculous price but couldn't find anything.

I don't see why they have to dupe people, I'd totally buy a fake one, I even looked for one that was a similar setup but at a less ridiculous price but couldn't find anything.

I know people who would want to buy a fake one if they couldn't afford/ choose to not spend as much as a genuine one....
However this was listed as a genuine one, has bugaboo branding and the price reflected the story that was told.
My main concern is the safety issue. particularly the fabrics.
There are better buggies for the amount of money we spent!.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->