Washing Questions

Caz-x

ʚϊɞ
Reaction score
Hiya,

More questions I'm afraid :rofl:

So, reading from another thread;

I need to do a rinse cycle before my wash cycle on used nappies?

Would it be ok if I used 40deg washes with a 60 say every 4th one to give a deeper clean or do I need to use 60s all the time?

Do I need to do an extra rinse after my washes?

Are soapnuts better to use than my detergent?

I use non-bio, should I be using a bio?

What the heck is a stripwash & how do you do it & how often?:shrug:

Sorry,and thanks:flower:

Ive never done a rinse cycle before a normal wash, i think ive read 40 degrees dont always get everything out, my personal preference is to do 60 each wash.
I dont think you need an extra rinse, again ive never needed one.

Not tried soapnuts yet, though have a sample on order :thumbup.

I think its whatever you find works best, ive always used persil non bio and found it to work well, it also doesnt irritate Alexs skin.

A strip wash is where you use a full load of detergent, wash the nappies then keep doing rinse cycles untill theres no more bubbles. Its done to get rid of any detergent build ups, where people find this has happened is when the nappies start to leak out.

You don't need to prewash them like you would with new nappies, as they will normally have been washed enough to get them up to full absorbancy. Most people do a wash just because you don't know what detergent etc has been used on preloved ones. Sometimes you might buy something preloved that needs stripping but you'd normally assume they're fine and only try that if you have leaks.

Would it be ok if I used 40deg washes with a 60 say every 4th one to give a deeper clean or do I need to use 60s all the time?

I normally wash at 30! I do wet pail the pooey nappies in Napisan though. I occasionally do a wash at 40 but I don't think I've ever done hotter than that and we have nice sparkly white nappies :)

It depends on your detergent and how good the normal rinse is with your wash. When it gets near the end of a wash, have a look and see if soapy bubbles are still coming out of the nappies. If they are, you probably need an extra rinse or detergent will build up in the nappies and make them less absorbant. I normally don't bother though as the machine is good.

They're more eco-friendly if you're interested in that. Also they don't cause detergent build up, they're cheaper and they are better on delicate skin. There's no reason you can't use normal detergent though.

I've always used non-bio on nappies and had no problems, even washing at 30 with no Napisan.

What the heck is a stripwash & how do you do it & how often?:shrug:

You do it if your nappies are clogged up with detergent. You normally notice this when your nappies start to leak when they wouldn't normally, or if they still smell a bit when you take them out of the washing machine (even if they smell ok when dried). There are lots of different methods, just pick which one you like best! I tend to do a 40 degree wash with a full dose of detergent, then just keep rinsing until bubbles stop coming out in the rinse. Expect to be doing lots of rinses!

I do a pre-wash, wash at 40º and use ecoballs and ecover laundry bleach. Works fine - no detergent to build up, and the pre-wash wash rinses out any real nasties before washing. I like the ecoballs as they're more eco, and can't cause allergic reactions, and save me loads of lolly, as not buying powder!

wss as rachel :flower: we used to use non bio but use soap nuts exclusively now.

No, you dont need to, whatever works for you.

Should be fine. I always wash on 60 but I dry pail my nappies.

I do when Im using detergent, you dont HAVE too but I found it cuts down on the strip wash rinses

I recently switched to soapnuts and find they are cleaning the nappies just as well but there is no detergent build up...good thing.

I only use non bio. I never use bio on anything.

What the heck is a stripwash & how do you do it & how often?
A strip wash is basically removing the detergent builld up in your nappies (if you use detegrent) you are best doing one about once a month. It consists of washing your nappies and then rinsing until there are no bubbles left in the water. I havent needed to do more than 4 rinses, some people have found they have done loads though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->