Wasnt sure where to put this...abdominal pregnancy?

charlotte f

Reaction score
Hey,

Ive heard a lot about 'I never knew i was pregnant' and some women NEVER show. Is it possible to have an abdominal pregnancy (i have heard of some women carrying to full term!) and not knowing as you dont show and it wont show up on a transvaginal ultrasound?

Just curious.... watchec too much MTV i think haha

I think pretty much any pregnancy would show up via ultrasound but I'm not a doctor.

I dont think its possible to carry a pregnancy outside the uterus:shrug: but im no doctor either!

The uterus IS in the abdomen. If there was a baby anywhere in the abdominal cavity I'm pretty sure they'd see it even with a TV US (but they've always done abdominal with me first anyway).

Where else would the baby be but in the abdominal cavity where the uterus is? Anything outside of the correct area is ectopic isn't it?

Do you mean where the uterus grows into? I knew a girl who worked in my hair dressers, very slim, she went to the doctors with bad back ache to be told she was 8.5 months pregnant, never had a bump so baby must have grown a lot more internally (but still in the womb of course!) goodness knows how, he was born a good birth weight from what I remember too. Must be very, very rare though, was big news in my little town!

Any pregnancy not in the womb is ectopic. I think there have been a few very very rare cases where a baby has grown almost to term outside the womb and survived but it's incredibly rare and depending where the placenta attaches could be fatal if not detected early. It would be visible on an ultrasound as well

A lady I know never shows till she is 8 months pregnant, but every time she's already known she was pregnant just never shows till really late in the game. Just her build though I think because she is very petite.

An abdominal pregnancy is a very rare type of ectopic pregnancy. There have been cases of them going to full term but usually the pregnancy doesn't get very far and it can be fatal to the mother - especially as it's often undiagnosed as doctors usually try other things before ultrasound by which time the fetus has died and may be poisoning the mother. A baby surviving is virtually unheard of. In the extremely rare cases the baby has survived there are usually huge health problems and deformities.

In the cases of women going full term without realising they're pregnant, they're normal pregnancies in the uterus, it's just a combination of factors leaving it undetected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->