Water and sippy cups

Hoping

Reaction score
I am after some advice please!

I have just started weaning - only on Monday and just using baby rice at lunchtime milk feed so far. Should I be introducing water once I get him on veg puree for a few meals each day? Should it be cooled boiled water?
Also, I understand that they should not be using bottles by 12 months and therefore I wanted to know if I should be trying to get him to take his milk from a sippy cup (or a transition cup to start with?).

Thanks!

we offer Hannah water in a sippy cup after every meal (including snacks). Once a day she gets juice from a sippy cup as well. Her bottles we still give her in bottles, but some days (when she's being cranky about taking a bottle) we offer her milk in a sippy cup.

edited to add that it's cooled boiled water I give her. After I do her bottles at night I pour some water into a sippy cup (with a lid) and put it in the fridge until the next morning

Chloe has wather from a sippy cp, but it took a while fo her to take it, she loves it now

Up to 6 months you should use boiled water and after 6 months you can use tap water for drinks.

I gave my baby his cup from 4 months to play with (sometimes with water in it) but I only really encouraged him to drink from it when I started weaning at 5 1/2 months and I thought it took him quite a long time to get used to drinking from it. I have heard that babies under 6 months don't need water and too much water is bad for their kidneys but I'm not too sure about the details of it so maybe check that out with the HV.

have you been breast feeding or bottle feeding? We breastfeed so we've gone staright to a cup, we've got the TT free flow cup and something called a doidy cup that the health visitors recommended. Yes the water should be boiled and then cooled but if you are breast feeding then you don't need to give them a drink, though how long that lasts for i'm not sure x

A baby shouldn't have water until 12 months. Giving water takes away the nutrition they should be recieving. You can put breastmilk or formula in a sippy if a sippy is what you want to give them. And you don't need to take a bottle away at 12 months, most kids have them until 2 years.

A baby shouldn't have water until 12 months. Giving water takes away the nutrition they should be recieving.
You don't need to wait til 12months, usual its when a baby starts being weaned. Up until weaning they don't need it because breastmilk or formula is mostly water,

Hoping i have found that the avent magic cups are the best x

We've been using the tommy tippee first cup. I must admit Katie hasn't taken to water at all. She spits it out and pulls faces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->