Waters Breaking...

jaybee

Mum to Tobias & Alexander
Reaction score
I know that it is a bit early..but ....
When our waters break..is it like the movies and they gush out soaking everything...or is it more like a light dampness?

The reason I am asking is that, if it is all gushing (exuse the phrase) then surley you ruin what ever you are stood or sat on?? We've just bought a brand new sofa and I'm worried about ruining it!!!

Any thoughts?

i heard it can come either way, gushing or light trickle.

There have been a couple threads in 3rd tri if you search on this. I think the general consensus is that it can go either way, but often the waters don't break until you are well into labor anyway.

yep can be a big gush or a constant/on off trickle. my waters broke in my last pregnancy and it was just a little bit of fluid comming out every minute or so.
xx

Does it depend on how much you have dilated?

Good question! I was thinking of getting some of those incontinence mats for putting on the bed/sofa, just in case.

The mats are a good idea. With my 2 eldest boys, it was a huge gush, but i was already contracting and dilating. With my youngest daughter my back waters broke and it was just a trickle every time i moved.

With my first it was a big gush. I had started having very mild contractions already, not painful in any way yet. I actually felt/heard a big "pop" when my waters broke. They broke once with a gush, then a little while later the rest came with another big gush. I was on the couch, but I was lying down, and got off of it fast enough, and the first wasn't as much as the second. I soaked my pants with the second gush.

The word I heard to decribe it is seeping although I believe that in can gush too. Lovely, just lovely.

Both time my waters have gone whilst I am in bed sleeping and i wake up thinking i am wetting myself! First time I jumped out of bed and it flooded everywhere (luckily had laminate flooring!) Second time jumped out of bed again but this time was little bits so I just sat on the toilet for about 30 mins til it had mostly finished and then put on a pad. I for some reason dont go into labour so all I get is waters breaking. Im just glad I have been home each time, would hate to be out when it happened especially if it gushed again x

With my 1st I had a big gush without any warning when I woke up one morning, didn't start getting contractions till at least 3 hours later, with my other 2 I had to have my waters broke during labour :)

I don't want to scare anyone but your water can actually break anytime during pregnancy. Which is scary, its supposed to break when your fullterm. But there is something called PROM- Premature Rupture of Membranes where your water breaks before 37 weeks. I'm currently experiencing this situation now. My water broke last tuesday, it was a big gush of water. I'm on hospital bedrest now. I haven't had any pain or contractions so they are just monitoring me and baby. Hopefully most of you won't have to go thru this

I don't want to scare anyone but your water can actually break anytime during pregnancy. Which is scary, its supposed to break when your fullterm. But there is something called PROM- Premature Rupture of Membranes where your water breaks before 37 weeks. I'm currently experiencing this situation now. My water broke last tuesday, it was a big gush of water. I'm on hospital bedrest now. I haven't had any pain or contractions so they are just monitoring me and baby. Hopefully most of you won't have to go thru this

Good luck honey! :hugs:

i am dreading them going at work... i work in a team of men, so how embarrassing would that be?? hoping to use up my hols to finish early in any case, but still!!

in most labours the doctor will have to break your water for you it iwsnt very common for your water to just break... my water broke with my first and it just felt like a peed myself and i thoughts thats what happened i was so embaressed until i found out it was my waters... my others the doctor had to do it and we they did it was a gush but i think that is because they 'pop' it

I've given birth 3 times and my water has never broken on its own, it has always been broken in the hospital when I was about 6-7cm dialiated. But, 2 of my 3 births have been induced so I wouldn't have had the chance with those 2 to have them break at home. I thought I read somewhere something like only 10 percent of womens waters actually break on their own or something.

Last time mine trickled in bed so I went to the loo to check and they started to do smaller gushes. I got a pad on and we got ready to go to the Birth Centre. When we were in the car I forgot to put a mat down which I was going mad about as they were wetting through my pants but still small ish gushes. I stepped out of the car and the rest went like they do in the movies.....I was drenched :rofl: I squelched in to the BC leaving nice footprints on the corridor :lol:

I was 9cm dilated and my waters didnt break!

They had to break them for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->