Waters broke at 24+6

Katerpillar

Mammy to 1 cheeky monkey!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just wondered if anyone had any positive stories they could share with me?
My waters broke at 12.30am on Tuesday morning at 24+6 weeks pregnant. I have been in hospital for the last 3 days having the necessary steroid injections and antibiotics. I have had a couple of scans which have shown that the water levels around my baby are not too low so I have been sent home. But now I am at home alone with a vey energetic 19 month old and I'm terrified!! I have to return to the hospital twice a week from now for scans and tests but I feel so scared being at home.

My OH will be home in a couple of hours but he can't be here all the time. The hospital said to take it easy but I'm not even sure what that means - can I still lift my little girl etc?

I hope my little baby keeps cooking for as long as possible!

I am afraid I can't really give you any medical advice but I am praying everything goes well for you.

Hi my waters broke at 26+2 very similar story, hospitalised for steroids and antibiotics and sent home on 'light duties'. At the time my daughter was 17 months. I tried my hardest not to lift her, luckily had a lot of family around to help. I didn't do much housework as found if I was too active I leaked more. I put my feet up on pillows when I could. Don't bath as it can introduce infection. Monitor your temperature as this can indicate the start of infection. Keep clean down there and change pads often. Also drink lots. Don't freak if you lose water, instead think of it as a good thing as your baby is continuing to produce fluid which is great. On a scan my fluid was low but two pockets remained either side of his head and we could see him practicing his breathing and swallowing it down. Hold on to these positive moments! I went to hospital 2-3 times a week for scans, bloods, monitoring and consultant care. I managed to stay infection free and made it to 31+6 before going into spontaneous labour. Little man did great, no oxygen support, just a feeder and grower really. Oh and prologue jaundice. In Nicu 1 month. He's struggled badly with weight gain due to reflux but is otherwise healthy and is meeting milestones (adjusted age) as is smiling and babbling, has brilliant eye contact, tracks objects and is starting to reach out for objects.

Wishing you all the very best, it's so scary but you just do what you have to and your baby hopefully will stay put for a long time yet. You never know, you could even reseal if it's a small tear. They aimed to get me to 34 weeks and induce. Obviously we didn't quite get there but did well and praying you do too! Have you got a plan in place with the hospital? Where are you? I'm UK :hugs: XXX

Ah my goodness....thank you so, so, so much for sharing your story! It fills me with hope at a time when I am desperate for it!! I am leaking quite a bit of fluid, or at least that's how it feels. I am back the hospital tomorrow and twice a week from here on in. I am utterly convinced that every little twinge I get is labour starting and am starting to drive myself crazy! I am looking forward to seeing how much fluid is there on the scan tomorrow.

Plan for this week is to rest as much as poss. My little girl is going to daycare as normal mon-thur which feels weird but I am terrified of looking after her by myself at the minute. Dark times here at the minute :(

Every day is a bonus though so we are just pressing on and hoping for the best. Thanks so much for your words of support....means so much xxx

Ps I'm in Durham, North East England xx

I totally understand the feelings, the terror and over analysing everything. But remember that fluid is padding, you're losing it and so every movement is more pronounced, there will be increased twinges and even pain sometimes. It always felt like I was losing loads too, but if you think about AF they can feel heavy but you're actually only losing an eggcup full of blood each time. Hopefully it's actually a lot less than you think. I actually gushed a few times, which can happen the further along you are as baby is bigger and producing more fluid. I was too scared to go out though as I was scared I would 'wet myself' :(

I really hope your scan is positive tomorrow, I was always so anxious. My lowest fluid level was 3.1 with only two visible pockets. I had gushed the day before and it was horrible. But each time he was active, great blood flow, growth as it should be and good strong heartbeat. I had to hold on to those positives.

Ah another UK girl :) In the US it's generally hospital admission at 24 weeks for bed rest until delivery. Different our end but equally I got fantastic care as did my little boy.

Will be thinking of you and hope to read of some good news soon. Take care and take it easy :hugs:

Oh and a doctor told me that for every day baby stayed inside was 2-3 days less in the Nicu. So each day you stay pregnant is a massive achievement :D

How are you doing hun?

Thank you for that...stats like that make me feel so much better. Every day really is a bonus at the minute!

I'm feeling better again this morning. Had a really bad day yesterday. I was so achy I was sure I was going to go into labour over night but I think I must have been doing too much over the weekend...I know I was definitely lifting my little girl too much. I've dropped her off at my Mam's this morning and it feels weird being off work but not having her but I'm so scared of being alone with her....which is a dreadful feeling!

Fingers crossed for a positive scan this afternoon. Thanks for the supper ladies xx

Good luck for your scan, hoping for a very positive outcome! xxx

How did your scan go hun? How are you feeling today?

Hi, they didn't scan me :(
They took blood and listened in to baby's heartbeat and did all the usual blood pressure etc and said they will scan me at my appt tomorrow and once a week from then on. So I'll be in twice a week for bloods and tests and getting scanned at one of those appointments.
Baby is moving around a lot and I have no sign of infection so they're happy. As days go by I'm getting more an more positive. The midwife said to expect to have a baby by December and that the furthest they will probably let me go is 34 weeks. (10 Dec) which seems like so far off at the minute but if we can make that I will be absolutely overjoyed. It will probably mean a Christmas Day in NICU but I will take that and run over the alternative. My little girl is little enough to not understand what Christmas is really about this year which I am very grateful for so hopefully there won't be too much disruption to her. I can't believe I'm talking like this already....this time last week I could only think bad thoughts!
Thank you for your messages everyone. I'm so grateful for this forum xx

This is all sounding very familiar and look at my boy, he did great and you and baby will too! Do you know what you're having? Either way baby is a fighter and defying the odds every day. My little boy was always mega active too, kicking the doppler off and moving away so they would have to chase him! I had alternating scans, one week fluid, one week growth and blood flow. Good luck all over again!! :hugs:

Hi, they didn't scan me :(
They took blood and listened in to baby's heartbeat and did all the usual blood pressure etc and said they will scan me at my appt tomorrow and once a week from then on. So I'll be in twice a week for bloods and tests and getting scanned at one of those appointments.
Baby is moving around a lot and I have no sign of infection so they're happy. As days go by I'm getting more an more positive. The midwife said to expect to have a baby by December and that the furthest they will probably let me go is 34 weeks. (10 Dec) which seems like so far off at the minute but if we can make that I will be absolutely overjoyed. It will probably mean a Christmas Day in NICU but I will take that and run over the alternative. My little girl is little enough to not understand what Christmas is really about this year which I am very grateful for so hopefully there won't be too much disruption to her. I can't believe I'm talking like this already....this time last week I could only think bad thoughts!
Thank you for your messages everyone. I'm so grateful for this forum xx

So glad to hear everything is going ok so far. I am keeping my fx for you and making it to 34 weeks. Please make sure to keep us updated when you have the time.

:hugs: for you hun, cuz I am sure you need it.

Glad to hear it's going well. Can I ask which hospital you're planning to deliver at? Just be aware there is a shortage of nicu beds in the north east region at the moment, it's not uncommon for your baby to have to be transferred for a few days or weeks. If you have the option push for North Tees or the RVI as they have excellent success rates with early preemies, although if you get to your goal of 34 (or past 30 at all really) weeks you should have a fairly easy stay no matter where you are.

I was on modified bed rest in this pregnancy, that was difficult with a 2 year old. However I had to accept that every time I handed her over to someone else to watch her that I was doing the best thing for both my children - it's not only hard on you and the baby having them in nicu, but on your existing child too. It's hard to visit the baby with a toddler trying to destroy the place, and breastfeeding/expressing is almost impossible with a little one in tow - so you find you have to leave them with family or friends then too, so the longer this baby can cook the sooner they'll be home and the less time overall you'll need to leave your little girl. I hope that makes sense.

Dinah93 - that makes perfect sense, thank you so much. It feels very strange leaving her and then returning home alone but I know in my heart that I am doing the best all round. It's not fair on her, me or baby to have her at home all day as I simply cannot do the things with her that she is used to doing. Saying that, I have had her today as Friday was always my day off work with no one to watch her so I met my friend for lunch and have been chasing her round a soft play for an hour!! Not ideal...at all...but she is asleep now and we're going to my mams when she wakes up and staying there tonight.

With regard to hospitals, I am registered to deliver at University Hospital North Durham but they have advised that if I deliver before 30 weeks I will be transferred to the RVI. I have an appointment with my consultant on Monday so I will definitely ask her about the shortage of beds and what will happen. Thanks for the heads up.

As a general update, I had a scan yesterday and my water levels have dropped quite considerably although they are not overly concerned they said. I had to change my pad 3 times the night before the scan so that does explain it. All blood tests are fine, temp is normal and baby is moving....so onwards and upwards.

Lolly1985 - we don't know what we're having but with a scan a week between now and birth we may find our sooner than we thought, that's fine though :)

My OH is unavoidably away all weekend :( so we are going to stay with my Mam tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully noting happens while he is away!!

Hope all of you ladies are well and have a lovely weekend xx

Hey hun are you in the US by chance? In NC perhaps? I am asking because I am wondering if you are going to go to UNC women's hospital in chapel hill?

Sorry for asking, just the area I live in has the same county name.

Hope you and your LO are doing well still.

My DS2 was born last year on December 4th at 32+6 gestation. We were set for a Christmas stay but he came home the day before Christmas Eve (when he was 35+4). They're strong little things and full of surprises.

Will keep you in my thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->