We have choosen a name but we are worried it will get shortend

carler

Reaction score
Hi.. We have decided to call our 2nd boy bevan jay-thomas we really lovit but im worried people will shorten it to bev [-X our first boy is named kade andrew-lee which cant be shortened (althought close family and friends sometimes call him kado lol) i wanted to do the same with this ones name but we cant find a name we love more than bevan. What do you think...do you think if we correct people it will stick as bevan or do you think its to easy to shorten

I knew a boy called Bevan once. He was always known as Bevan, never Bev that I am aware of so your LO will probably be fine too :flower: x

Look, theres always a chance that if you have a name that can be shortened, that it will be shortened. However, if you call him bevan and he introduces himself as bevan, chances are people will mostly call him bevan.

it all depends I call EVERYONE by shortened names (because im terrible with names)

my friend went mad because she picked Chloe thinking it coluldnt be shortened until I naturally called her Clo

and yet I use to always say the shortened version of my name (because I have a strange name and the short hand is very memorable but I dont like the other obvious nickname) and yet everyone nowadays seems to deliberately use the full name... Ive just got use to people calling me what ever they want now, im even board of correcting mispronunciations (happens all the time... there's no bloody 'e' in my name but everyone adds one)

In life you just have to accept these things

I think kids will always shorten names. My son is Dante. Darn-Tay and he gets called darnt at school! I thought it would really bother me but it doesn't x

I think you can control it to some extent with family. If you always refer to him by his full name and tactfully remind people you don't like Bev, most people will go with your wishes.

But if you really, really hate it, I'd pick another name. It's impossible to totally prevent it, especially amongst other children, and your LO might even prefer it when he's older.

Slightly different but my daughter has a double barrelled first name and from when she was tiny she has always corrected people who call her the one half of her name, that means no one does it now. If you are worried about it, then you can just work with LO to make sure he does the same.

My DH's family always used to call our son Ollie and never use his full name Oliver, until once DH corrected it and now they mainly call him Oliver. Not that it really mattered but we chose for him to be called Oliver for a reason iykwim? But to be honest I don't think Bevan will be shortened as naturally as people shorten Oliver and other longer names so I don't think it will be too much of an issue. I love the name Alexander for a boy if we have another one but doubt I'll use it purely because I just know he'll be 'Alex' to everyone!

Whatever names we choose, at some point someone will shorten a long name or lengthen a short name whether we like it or not :shrug: Nothing you can do about that.

If you introduce him as Bevan it's more than likely that will stick though, at least with family and close friends.

2 syllable names don't usually get shortened. My name is Jennifer but everyone calls me Jen. Which I prefer.
The parents set the tone for what the baby is called. I really like te name Joshua but I don't like Josh so we aren't using the name. My sons name is Noah (2 syllables) and his name is never shortened

Thanks for your replys ladies

Your right though...its goin to happen somewhere down the line and i think if anywhere it will bewhen hes older maybe as i can correct people and schools will address him by his registered name. My sister is called leandra and no1 shortens that...we gave her a nickname though which i wouldnt mind for bevan lol we also have a cairo in the family and. No1. Shortens that to cai. Even gracie is gracie although few. Have called her grace bt been corrected so its just a chance wewill have to take i think as we dont have another name. I liked jax but my partner hates it and he likes leo and rio which i dont mind but i know people with those names and i like more unusual choices so i think if we stick with bevan...once hes finallllllly Here (lol) he will be him whatever we call him. Iv found myself callin him beej and bevis at points so im just as bad haha

Someone will always shorten a name, unfortunately that is just the way it is! I get called Soph ALL the time.

I think you can correct them. I am always known by my full name and very few people abbreviate it. We chose Finlay last time because we liked Finn, but wanted him to have a longer name. Almost no one calls him Finn, including us. He just looks like a Finlay! We do call him Finners sometimes though.

My son is Devon and it has never been shortened to Dev.

My son is called Christian and a few people have tried to call him Chris but I always corrected them and said 'No his name is Christian' and if they get a bit funny about it I just say 'My dads called Chris that's all' But now he is 5 and no body tries to shorten his name because he tells them 'No my names Christian' But with my Daughter when I was pregnant with her I was like 'Her name will be Isabel and no shortened names' now everyone calls her Isabel apart from me and DH we call her belly and my niece (who has just turned 2) calls her bell x

My son is Micah and so far nobody calls him Mike, which we're glad of as we don't like it. 2 people have called him 'Mikey' which isn't so bad but I've found if I keep using his full name in their presence they soon get the message!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->