Weaning Advice for First Time Mums...

lauriech

Reaction score
...what would your best bit of advice be for a first time Mum when it comes to weaning?

I have a very healthy baby who takes a lot of milk and is always hungry but am determined not to wean him until as close to 6 months as I can. Thing is, because he is a big baby and takes a lot of milk, I'm concerned I'm going to have to wean him early.

What are the pro's and con's to weaning early/leaving til 6 months? And what type of weaning did you do/would you recommend? Baby Led Weaning or other?

Any tips/points of view would be welcome as I know nothing when it comes to weaning....am just in the early stages of research!

Thanks girls! Need some advice!

xxxxxxxxxx

I wanted to wait t il 6 months but started at 4.5 months (just this week). Amelies tummy was rumbling at night which is why i started. So far shes doing really well and is on breakfast of babyh rice and carrot puree at bout half 6. Amelies is still really runny. Her puree is half tablespoon carrot and about half an ounce of milk. She also likes holding the spoon so I give her her own spoon now lol.

I waited until Jasmine was 6 months but that was because she wasn't ready before that. I let her lead me and we have done fantastically.

Follow babies lead, never think you're giving them 'too much' and enjoy it! It's fun business really!!

Thanks girls!

Any suggestions on BLW? Anyone tried this?

Any tips/recommended foods to try first off etc? What about finger foods?

xxx

OMG - I've just seen your pic of Caitlin feeding herself Toria...that's put me off weaning full stop!!!!!

We're following BLW, so haven't tried to wean yet as Niamh isn't showing any signs.

Remember too, that they will go through growth spurts which seem similar as they will start taking on more milk.

We have this book, which is fantastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-W...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242661654&sr=8-1

i started weaning on doctors orders at 4.5 months but she was showing signs although i was trying to wait.

i did puree not BLW i give her finger foods to try but she isnt interested in holding them so if i had tried that approach we wouldnt have gotten very far LOL

do what u feel comfortable with hun, i was so scared and nervous about weaning i dreaded it but Annabelle loves her food now and we are getting on with 3 meals a day

Lou
xxx

Thanks for your opinions/advice girls! Think I'm going to buy some books on weaning...if anyone has any they don't need/use anymore, I'd be happy to buy them!

xxx

Annabel Karmel's book seem good hun, i was looking at it in asda the other day xx

I dont really have any advice but I had a huge baby who took massive amounts of milk and thought i would have to wean early etc but I was wrong, she didnt want solids until 5.5 months and even now -10 months- she isnt all that interested in food, still loves her milk. I just go with what Chloe wants......milk!!!

I dont really have any advice but I had a huge baby who took massive amounts of milk and thought i would have to wean early etc but I was wrong, she didnt want solids until 5.5 months and even now -10 months- she isnt all that interested in food, still loves her milk. I just go with what Chloe wants......milk!!!

Thanks hun!

I've been wondering whether there were any bigger babies (like Deri) who need a lot of milk but don't need to be weaned early!

xxx

Thanks hun!

I've been wondering whether there were any bigger babies (like Deri) who need a lot of milk but don't need to be weaned early!

xxx

yep she has 3x 7oz bottles and 1x 8oz a day. As far as food goes she doesnt want much, bit of porrige, bit of veg and a bit of fruit usually. She has no where need the amout of food that other babies her age on here have

Thanks hun!

xxx

yep she has 3x 7oz bottles and 1x 8oz a day. As far as food goes she doesnt want much, bit of porrige, bit of veg and a bit of fruit usually. She has no where need the amout of food that other babies her age on here have

Just goes to show we're all different! Thanks for your info!

xxx

we just followed maddi's lead to, we started just after 6months as that's when she was ready, i would say be lead by your baby. we started with baby rice, and the moved onto simple purée's like carrot, but there is also lots of advice on BLW if thats the route you want to take :) we did purees but also lots of finger food too :D x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->