• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

weaning and breastfeeding

babe2ooo

mum to Jack
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered how u guys did it?? Did u drop feeds for food what was your day like from when baby got up and went to bed??

It is important when you first introduce food to prioritise milk first and foremost. Food at the beginning is about exploring new tastes, figuring out how to move solids around the mouth, chew and swallow, how to pick things up and bite them etc. Nearly all the nutrition comes from milk till
LO is between about 9 and 10 months, when food starts to become more important.

We did just breakfast at first but you can chose any meal that fits between LOs usual milk feeds (about an hour after milk is good as LO isn't too hungry but not too full either). Once we were on three meals (at about 9months I think) the day was:

6:30 nurse
8:00 breakfast of porridge and fruit
10:00 nurse
Nap
12:00 lunch of grilled fish and veggies or whatever
2:00pm nurse
4:00pm nurse
5:15pm dinner of beans on toast or whatever
6:30 nurse to sleep

As she got older she was too distracted during some feeds so I offered snacks at that point. I was lucky as my LO dropped her milk by herself.

when I was weaning both mine, I dropped nursing by one session every couple of days, and instead replaced it with some healthy snacks, or a sippy cup of cow's milk (they were over a yr old when I started weaning) until I got down to one nursing session per day. Since I did it so slowly, they didn't seem to take much notice, and one day I dropped the final nursing session, and neither seemed to care much, they had adjusted to the less frequent nursing.

I also realized that doing so this way kept me from getting engorged as well once I stopped for good.

I continued to breastfeed on demand and offered solids just whenever we were eating ourselves. I didn't really have any set out schedule or time. She still preferred breastmilk over solids until about 15 months at which point she started to get the bulk of her intake from food instead of milk (though she still nursed a lot to supplement). It was a totally natural transition for her in her own time and was super easy and non-stressful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->