Weaning from BF to Formula....not sure about reaction to formula?

rasberry

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could advise on if it is normal for my LO to initially have digestive problems & spend hours grunting and itching in his basket due to a formula feed?
I have recently introduced a formula bottle at the 10pm feed, for the 1st few days I gave 5 ounces of an Aptimal carton, which he was acting a little bit like he was struggling to do a poo during the night but had a dirty nappy so it was more like he just was in pain. Then last week I gave him a bottle made up from Aptimal powder, which he ended up having a way worse nights sleep - spent a good part of the night seep breathing and struggling even whimpered & let out a few cries, so I stopped giving formula for 2 nights & he was fine again, now I am back to giving Aptimal cartons and it is not as bad as the powder but he still seems restless and struggling when in his basket.
I'm a little worried as I don't know what formula to try him on now as it sounds as if Aptimal is the closest to breastmilk and the lightest, from posts I've read people change over to try and help their LO with constipation.....so I'm guessing the other ones would be worse for him?
Could he have an allergic reaction to Cows milk? Or would he come out in a rash? I've heard things about goats milk being better for their digestive system, has anyone tried it?
Thanks a mil :kiss:

Every baby is different with formulas my LO was sooo constipated on Aptimil so tried sma and shes been fine on it.. Others will say sma constipated their LO and others will say cow & gate did etc.. So maybe try a diff formula

The cartons are a bit creamier than powder though..

Sorry im not much help
x

I found LO did the same thing using Aptamil. Lots of grunting and groaning and it made his reflux way worse. I tried SMA Gold and C&G which he didn't get on with either. Then I tried Hipp Organic and never looked back. Tastes pretty close to BM too! :haha:

I don't think it is advisable to give LOs anything other than BM or formula as a drink until they are over 1 year old. If you think they have a cow's milk allergy then you could ask your doc/HV about soy formula. If you drink cow's milk it would have been coming through in your BM anyway so you would have noticed a reaction already. My LO has a slight cow's milk allergy and would come out in a rash every time I gave Aptamil but has no such probs on Hipp for some reason.

Thanks a mil for the response Ladies, it's a great help & reassuring to know that it is a common problem that can be fixed by changing the formula.
2016, how long did you give your LO on each of the other formulas before moving on to another one while try to find the right one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->