Weaning from nipple shields & holding latch

callmedan

Reaction score
I'm currently EBF using nipple shields as baby couldn't latch on at all without them
Baby is 3 weeks 3 days and been using the shields for nearly 2 weeks (fed expressed milk for first week and a half)

I want to stop using the shields and have been trying a bit each day
Today I decided to try and have a try at quitting cold turkey but am struggling so far! Without the shields baby doesn't seem to get full, with the shields feeds were every 2-3.5 hours for 15/20 minutes, this morning I've been feeding about 30/40 minutes then find half an hour later baby is looking for food again
When she is just on the nipple she can latch on and if she continually sucks she's fine but as soon as she stops sucking it's like she can't hold the latch

I assume this is one of those practise makes perfect situations and will just have to persevere but it is very frustrating!!

Has anyone been in a similar position or have any advice? I'm going to a breast feeding workshop next week

I think its going to be really hard to answer your questions without being there to see what is happening. I don't know what the workshop is like but I'd really recommend seeing a board certified lactation consultant who can look at your nipples, the baby's mouth and observe a full feed (not just initial latch). It could be a number of things - even the three week growth spurt could be a factor in the frequent and extended feeding and it has just coincided with you trying without the shields.

As you are UK, you can get free home visits from LLL or NCT etc. The national breastfeeding helpline should be able to signpost you to help in your area or you can call these organisations directly.

I used a nipple shield until my son was 6months, one day he just latched without it. He nursed until he was 2 and a half. My advice is to just roll with it, don't put too much pressure on yourself

With mine, the lactation consultants told me I could never bf without the shields. I started out taking off the shield mid feed at about 2 months. We had varied success. One day she started refusing to bf with the shield. I was trying to do skin to skin with her on my chest and she rooted and latched without the shield. We haven't used them since. Don't get frustrated, it's still early! I found that doing compressions when the flow is slower helped the baby keep going and get more milk. One of the consultants said bfing without the shield is harder to get the milk, so your baby may need more help at the beginning. Also sitting straight up or leaning slightly forward may help the milk come out a bit more. Good luck!

Also sitting straight up or leaning slightly forward may help the milk come out a bit more. Good luck!

But, just for an alternative perspective, could make achieving a deep latch more difficult. It's all such a game of trial and error isn't it!

thank you noon_child i will give the breastfeeding helpline a call, i didnt know such a thing existed!

bcos21 & bxsr thank you for your positive stories!! i think i have been putting too much pressure on me and baby, going to primarily stick with the shields for now and just go with it
MW said as long as baby is getting enough milk its fine to keep using them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->