Weaning Help please!

D

danni2609

Ok so i have decided Isabelle is ready for weaning nowas shes started waking up twice in the night again for milk...but ive forgotten how i did it last time round:dohh:
So ive given her baby rice this morning before her milk and she ate the lot and then had 6oz milk too, but i dont know how to continue as she has had it in the morning wont she still wake up at night hungry and can i start it twice a day?

Switch it to early evening but i'd keep it to one meal at the moment so as not to overload her tummy.

I think that's a growth spurt, but if you want to give her food I too would say just one for now

I agree with Toria....they have a big growth spurt at that age that can be mistaken for them ready to start solids. I would really try holding off on starting for a week or 2 and see where she's at, and then if you think she's still ready then try. But if you really want to try now I would stay at once and in the morning that way you have all day to see if she has any reaction instead of it upsetting her tummy and really effecting her sleep even more.

well my daughter is almost 5mounths and i have started in the last few weeks. although about a mounth ago now i had the same issue as you when she went through a growth spirt she was hungry and unsettled alot more and my mother in law kept saying i needed to give her rice but i just wasnt sure she was ready so i increased the amount of milk i gave her and persivered and i was worryed at the time but she settled down again and when the signs came she was ready i was glad i waited. basically my advice would be make sure its write cos u dont want put the little one off when it comes to solids. although on the other had if the liquids just dnt seem enough and she is even bring some back up and then still acting hungery then perhaps it is time, all children are differnent. hope this helpes xx good lu

well shes been fine all day we shall see what tonight brings and whether its worth doing now:)

Well a little update...she slept through:happydance: I knew it was time as Kaitlin was like this too thanx ladies

woo glad she slept thru...i wud stick to the 1 solid in the morning like ur doing for now as the idea is fill them up loads in the day and they wont need anything during night xx

I think you did well to get to 4 months hun! theres no way Oscar will make it to 6 months on milk alone, i'm goin to try to get him to at least 3 xx

At 3-4 months babies go through their biggest growth spurt, and it lasts from anywhere between a few days to about a week. I would say it is probably this, rather than a need to wean as there are a lot more signs babies show when they are ready to wean rather than just waking up at night. Often, people will start thinking weaning is working when the baby starts sleeping through, when in fact it's just the growth spurt over with.

I think you should do what you think babe :D You are her mother, you know what is best for her.
Lylah is also having rice, and since then she has stopped waking in the night too, and dropped her last night feed. There will always be different opinions on it, but it all comes down to what she wants at the end, and you know best having gone through it already. xxxxxxx

Thank you Mel:)
Well i dont believe it is a growth spurt else she wouldnt be taking the rice as well as she is and it wouldnt make a difference to her sleeping through....Kaitlin was the same there has been no ill effects to me weaning her at 4 months infact shes brilliant with food and has a very healthy appetite eating loads of fresh foods

she ready when she's ready hun,
i weaned rhys at 4 months his routine is lovely now in fact drinks more milk. he bit and bobbed with milk ere and there.
i told my hv and she winked at me said go for it she said 4 months is fine to start.

when rosie was a baby 15 yrs ago they told you to wean at 3 months and then gradually by 12 months they will be eating everyday normal food. rosie is as skinny as they come, isnt obese and have a dodgy tummy. its toddlers eating crap and a lack of excercise that causes obesity, she grew up on chicken nuggets and turkey twizlers with smiley faces and that was the normal in the 90's now omg you put chicken nugget in a kids mouth and its nspcc time lol.

i'm a massive believer in a mothers instinct and if a baby is clearly ready at 4 months then go for it. if i try to feed rhys when he's not hungry his jaw clamps and there's no food going in.
slow weaning imo is the best weaning going with the flow.
xx

woo glad she slept thru...i wud stick to the 1 solid in the morning like ur doing for now as the idea is fill them up loads in the day and they wont need anything during night xx

Problem is though, that babies still need milk. It's fine to use baby rice as a compliment to milk but not as a filler IMO. Also, baby rice is very carb and starch heavy which isn't great so filling them up on it isn't as good as filling them up on milk which is what they still need.

Just my opinion. I realise that weaning can be a hot topic, so I really don't want to upset anyone.

Do what you feel is right love. I guess you know your own child better than anyone else! We haven't started fully weaning Kai yet, but we've been letting him taste some fruit & veg and I did try him on a little bit of mashed sweet potato which he seemed to like. My mum's a HV and she said it's OK to give them tasters to prepare them for food. He's still a boobie monster though, so I doubt he'll be giving that up anytime soon!

Problem is though, that babies still need milk. It's fine to use baby rice as a compliment to milk but not as a filler IMO. Also, baby rice is very carb and starch heavy which isn't great so filling them up on it isn't as good as filling them up on milk which is what they still need.

Just my opinion. I realise that weaning can be a hot topic, so I really don't want to upset anyone.

I am still giving milk exactly the same amount just some baby rice in the morning so im not using it as a filler its complimenting the milk....also can i add i asked for weaning advice not 'when to wean' thank you!!

I am still giving milk exactly the same amount just some baby rice in the morning so im not using it as a filler its complimenting the milk....also can i add i asked for weaning advice not 'when to wean' thank you!!

Erm, I wasn't speaking to or about you? I quoted babzone as she said 'fill them up', so no need to get snappy!

Danni, I am in exactly the same situation- Emi was showing all the signs of wanting food at 3 months. We held off for as long as possible but by 15 weeks she was a very unhappy little madam. I spoke to the HV on many occasions and she fully agreed with me that she wanted food so we started just before 4 months.

There are lots of different opinions as I have had people say to me that they started children at 3 months and others at 6 months. All show signs at different times and the mother WILL know if its a growth spurt! (we've had enough of them!) Since giving Emi food (we are taking it slow) our nights have massively improved and I have my smiley little girl back. She loves her food! As the HV said - if she didn't want any she would refuse it or sick it back up.

Good luck with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->