Weaning Off Dummies, How do you do it?!

taperjeangirl

Reaction score
My 1st I left her with her dummy til she was about 1 and she had kind of lost interest in it anyway but she was a really good sleeper....

Daisy wakes through the night for her dummy, like 3-4 times :dohh: She doesnt totally wake up just growls til someone puts it back in her mouth, (even though she can do it herself!!!)

So I have decided that if we are to get a full nights sleep, it is time for her "dody" to go!

Need help though, she doesnt have it through the day, only at nap times and bedtime.....
How do I wean her off it?
What do you do when they cry or growl (!) for it?!

Any advice would be great girls, thanks :hug:

oh gosh i duno about that really i think we may leave it under the christmas tree in exchange for pressies 1 year....or the easter bunny maybe lol xx

LOL we buried my 1st daughters in the garden so it would grow babies!

We did it before the Easter holidays. I was going to do it in stages but I decided to go cold turkey as she wasnt that dependant on it - my first was a bit more addicted.

She wouldnt wake for it in the night but she used it to fall to sleep for her naps but not proper bedtime. So I just didnt give her it. I sat on the floor next to her so she couldnt see me but knew I was there and I held her hand through the cot rails - she has kind of learned to settle herself as a result. i think she's sleeping better without it. I gave it to her when put her down but looking back she took longer to settle with it and I wonder if the sucking kept her slightly more awake IYKWIM?

With my first I did it in stages - it was much harder but I'd left it much longer. I only let her have it for naps for starters then just for bed, then it went.

Good luck! :D

We did it before the Easter holidays. I was going to do it in stages but I decided to go cold turkey as she wasnt that dependant on it - my first was a bit more addicted.

She wouldnt wake for it in the night but she used it to fall to sleep for her naps but not proper bedtime. So I just didnt give her it. I sat on the floor next to her so she couldnt see me but knew I was there and I held her hand through the cot rails - she has kind of learned to settle herself as a result. i think she's sleeping better without it. I gave it to her when put her down but looking back she took longer to settle with it and I wonder if the sucking kept her slightly more awake IYKWIM?

With my first I did it in stages - it was much harder but I'd left it much longer. I only let her have it for naps for starters then just for bed, then it went.

Good luck! :D

Thanks! Yeah I am sure that the dummy is keeping daisy awake too, might just try going cold turkey then! See how it goes!

I never took it from my kids that young so I really don't know about that age but for my boys we found what was best was taking it completely and not letting them see it. When we tried to wean my 2nd off of it slowly since he was really attached he started wanting it even more during the times we gave it to him and he was becoming even more attached so when we felt he was ready (which actually wasn't until he was 2) we took it completley, he asked for it a few times but we told him it was gone and he got over it really quick. Within a few days it wasn't asked for again. My youngest is 19mo and still has his, we will take it when we feel is ready to give it up, probably closer to 2

let me know if you find something that works! Hannah goes to sleep on hers and I wouldn't mind stopping the habit

Break it or 'cut' it in front of them and tell them theres no more dummy cos its broken lol

That was just my random evil thought lol :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->