Weaning ???

cherrished

Reaction score
Hi my baby boy is 4 months old i thought i would give it a week up his milk n see how he goes but he has 7oz then wants more an hour later...i just dont think the milk is satisfying him anymore he is on aptimal extra hungry i have upped his milk to 8oz but hes still drinking 7oz then wants more an hour or two later....i have tried water, he drinks a few oz then cries n wants milk, he still sleeps through the night...

I am thinking of starting the weaning process, he is four months now and all the major supermarkets sell branded food for 4-6months im thinking of starting him off on baby rice, has anyone else had this issue ????

His weight is fine he was 14lb 3oz over two n half weeks ago n now he is 15lb 10.1/2 oz so he is doing fine, any ideas ladies ???? it is safe to start weaning at 4 months aint it ???

I know this is a sore subject, i was at the clinic yesterday and was thinking of bringing this topic up with the HV but the poor man next to me had a lil boy who is 4 months n he told her he started weaning him n she kinda told him off !!!! i thought well im not saying ought n getting a telling off for asking for advice, I will just go by mother instinct i just dont think the milk his filling him up surely it aint bad to try a lil baby rice n see how is goes ??? x

It's really recommended to wait until 6mo if possible. How long has he been acting so hungry? He might just be having a growth spurt, there is a big one at this age. Especially if he isn't taking more at a feeding just needs it more often it might just be that. I would try and hold off for awhile longer and just see how he does.

I agree it sounds like a growth spurt. Give it a week and see how things are :)

he has been doing it for about 3 weeks now he has his 7oz or less then an hour later wants another 5-6oz i dont mind doing this for him every hour or two later i just feel he isnt getting enough with just milk he is a big boy n gets hungry quiet quickly he was born a week n half early weighing 8lb 11oz and has gained weight very well x

I'd really doubt he needs weaning early if he is still sleeping through the night. That's a long time to go without a feed so milk must be satisfying him. As the others have said...I'd give it another week or so. You could explain the situation to your HV and ask what she suggests you do. You don't have to tell her you were considering weaning if you don't want to.

hi thanks for ur replies

i have just googled signs for weaning well zac has 5 out of 6 signs and he has nearly doubled his weight gain since birth, but like i say he is a very good sleeper during the night has been since 8-10 weeks x

The most reliable signs of readiness for weaning include being able to sit up unsupported, reach and grab accurately and having the ability to chew. There are a lot of myths about signs of needing to be weaned, including doubling of birth weight - my baby had tripled hers by the time we started at 6 months....good luck whatever you do :)

If you feel he needs to be weaned, wean him.

My boys were weaned at 4months because that was the advice then (4 years ago). I can't find any of these babies that have been 'damaged' by weaning at 4months old, they must all be kept locked up or something. The EU guidelines say between 4 and 6 months, it's only the UK that have taken that to be 6 months.

You can start with baby rice, porridge, purrees etc. Anything you like. With the boys I started on baby rice then added in some vegetable puree (mixed into the rice for flavour), then porridge. Gave them their first solids about lunch time as we were both awake and alert by that time.

You can start making up some purrees yourself right now if you feel like it. Just freeze them into ice cubes at the moment and only do a few of each. That way you save money because he will only be taking a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->