wedding places

mummylove

Reaction score
I need some help. Me and oh are getting married next year but i dont know where. We are on a tight budget so its going to be small key.
I live in hambleton so we are looking around Poulton-le-flyde, cleveleys and blackpool to get married.
I was thinking it might be cheaper to get married in a registry office then hire a room in a pub and have a meal there as there wont be loads of people going to wedding anyway. Then hire a function room for a night do. But i just dont know where to look so really need some help. Plus does anyone know where the nearest registry office is to me?

Plus i might as well put it in this thread instead of making another. Can anyone give me a list of what i need to plan as in flowers dresses etc

I got married in a registry office with family and close friends then at night we hired a student hall for family, friend and people we felt obliged to invite.

If you are very hard up, then a church wedding may be an option. They can be flexible with the fees. If you want more info, feel free to drop me a PM :)

It might also be worth posting this in the Bride To Be section, there are lots of people there who could give you some tips and pointers.

Why not either get married in a registry office with everyone there, or get married by yourselves legally and then have a small humanist ceremony somewhere- there are a lot of scenic places not too far from you.

For the reception you don't even have to have it 'traditionally'. Why not just go to a lovely restaurant with everyone- people would likely be happy to pay for their own meals, too, if you didn't ask for gifts. A wedding can be anything you like, you don't need to follow any rules or guidelines. Take guests bowling, if you like, it really can be anything!

If you are very hard up, then a church wedding may be an option. They can be flexible with the fees. If you want more info, feel free to drop me a PM :)

It might also be worth posting this in the Bride To Be section, there are lots of people there who could give you some tips and pointers.

We dont really have enough people to come to church wedding. The only family i have is mum dad and brother. Dont talk to any other family. Oh as more people to come. How much could a church wedding cost?

my mum had a really lovely humanist wedding on a beach in scotland with just 4 of us plus the celebrant, I think you can get married pretty much anywhere you want if you have a humanist wedding :) might be nicer than a registry office!

Come to Liverpool, the registry office are surprisingly beautiful :cloud9:

Depends how tight the budget is.

A church wedding and a registry office are similar costs generally. Our church wedding was £650 including organ and bell ringers.

We did a traditional church wedding, sit down meal for 80ppl, evening buffet, band, dj and free bar for £5k which is pretty good given the average wedding is £22k now! We did everything on the cheap though.

Reception venue - steer clear of hotels that have glossy wedding brochures, they will cost the earth unless you can get a last minute cancellation at a discount. We found golf clubs were a good option, they're geared up to do functions but it's not their only line of business so they don't rip you off. Plus there's usually a nice view outside. Our golf club was £15 a head for a 3 course meal and room hire free. A village hall plus separate caterer is also an option but caterers are often more expensive. The cheapest option is probably to have a small number of guests (20ish) and take them to a restaurant.

Drinks - again the golf club bar prices were cheaper than many venues. We also brought our own wine which worked out cheaper. You usually pay corkage for your own wine, which means a set cost per bottle (we paid the venue £4 per bottle), this seems unfair but actually it's reasonable really as they depend on drinks sales for profit. Corkage plus wine price was still cheaper than their wine, we bought it in advance when we found deals online and stored it.

Entertainment - a dj is the second cheapest (an mp3 player and speakers being the cheapest!), expect to pay around £200 maybe less. A band would be around £500. We had a ceilidh band (sort of Irish barn dancing) followed by a dj but you don't need both.

Dress - my mum is an amazing seamstress so I got a beautiful designer looking dress for the cost of the fabric. If you know someone who can sew really well maybe ask them. Sample sales in bridal shops are good for a bargain and if you don't have your heart set on a princess meringue then Monsoon's bridal dept is well worth a look.

Bridesmaids - get their dresses on the high street, Debenhams do lovely prom dresses and you save more if you want a more relaxed pretty dress rather than traditional bridesmaidy style. Get the girls to sort their own shoes and jewellery.

Photos - ask around to find a friend who's good at taking pictures and one with a good camera. A professional photographer can cost a few grand but an artistic friend with a decent camera could grt some lovely shots. We used mils camera and a cousin took the photos.

Cars - who do you know with a nice car? Hubby's aunt drove me to the church, we got a cousin to drive the bridesmaids.

Hair and make-up - I did my own make-up not only because it was free but I wanted to look like me. A friend helped curl my hair for me, she did the bridesmaids hair too

Invites, table plan etc - make your own. You don't need to be super creative, find a simple design idea online and copy that. If you're totally hamfisted with anything crafty ask a friend.

Flowers - we got the church florist to do them, we took some of the displays up to the reception after. She also did the bouquets and buttonholes. It was much cheaper than a high street florist. You dont need to go overboard with flowers or table decorations, we had a small slim vase on each table with a single flower - very cheap but looked nice. You end up with so much functional stuff on the table anyway that you don't want to overcrowd things. Ebay have silk flower bouquets and arrangements too that you can have made to your colours, this can work out quite cheap.

Cake - if you can make your own or know someone who can then this is ideal. My bridesmaid and I made loads of cupcakes 2 days before the wedding instead of a traditional cake. You can buy ready iced white wedding cakes in m&s and tesco, that just need a bit of simple decoration.

Favours - I always forget mine as a guest. It's hard to do something nice and women have a tiny handbag, men just have pockets so most favours get left/lost and unappreciated. We didn't do favours. We did a sweety table instead which was probably cheaper to do, but this isn't necessary.

I'm sure there's other things but cant think now.

My aunt and uncle had a registry office wedding (wearing jeans) followed by a buffet they'd made at their house. 20-odd years on they're still happily married with 3 kids.

Depends how tight the budget is.

A church wedding and a registry office are similar costs generally. Our church wedding was £650 including organ and bell ringers.

We did a traditional church wedding, sit down meal for 80ppl, evening buffet, band, dj and free bar for £5k which is pretty good given the average wedding is £22k now! We did everything on the cheap though.

Reception venue - steer clear of hotels that have glossy wedding brochures, they will cost the earth unless you can get a last minute cancellation at a discount. We found golf clubs were a good option, they're geared up to do functions but it's not their only line of business so they don't rip you off. Plus there's usually a nice view outside. Our golf club was £15 a head for a 3 course meal and room hire free. A village hall plus separate caterer is also an option but caterers are often more expensive. The cheapest option is probably to have a small number of guests (20ish) and take them to a restaurant.

Drinks - again the golf club bar prices were cheaper than many venues. We also brought our own wine which worked out cheaper. You usually pay corkage for your own wine, which means a set cost per bottle (we paid the venue £4 per bottle), this seems unfair but actually it's reasonable really as they depend on drinks sales for profit. Corkage plus wine price was still cheaper than their wine, we bought it in advance when we found deals online and stored it.

Entertainment - a dj is the second cheapest (an mp3 player and speakers being the cheapest!), expect to pay around £200 maybe less. A band would be around £500. We had a ceilidh band (sort of Irish barn dancing) followed by a dj but you don't need both.

Dress - my mum is an amazing seamstress so I got a beautiful designer looking dress for the cost of the fabric. If you know someone who can sew really well maybe ask them. Sample sales in bridal shops are good for a bargain and if you don't have your heart set on a princess meringue then Monsoon's bridal dept is well worth a look.

Bridesmaids - get their dresses on the high street, Debenhams do lovely prom dresses and you save more if you want a more relaxed pretty dress rather than traditional bridesmaidy style. Get the girls to sort their own shoes and jewellery.

Photos - ask around to find a friend who's good at taking pictures and one with a good camera. A professional photographer can cost a few grand but an artistic friend with a decent camera could grt some lovely shots. We used mils camera and a cousin took the photos.

Cars - who do you know with a nice car? Hubby's aunt drove me to the church, we got a cousin to drive the bridesmaids.

Hair and make-up - I did my own make-up not only because it was free but I wanted to look like me. A friend helped curl my hair for me, she did the bridesmaids hair too

Invites, table plan etc - make your own. You don't need to be super creative, find a simple design idea online and copy that. If you're totally hamfisted with anything crafty ask a friend.

Flowers - we got the church florist to do them, we took some of the displays up to the reception after. She also did the bouquets and buttonholes. It was much cheaper than a high street florist. You dont need to go overboard with flowers or table decorations, we had a small slim vase on each table with a single flower - very cheap but looked nice. You end up with so much functional stuff on the table anyway that you don't want to overcrowd things. Ebay have silk flower bouquets and arrangements too that you can have made to your colours, this can work out quite cheap.

Cake - if you can make your own or know someone who can then this is ideal. My bridesmaid and I made loads of cupcakes 2 days before the wedding instead of a traditional cake. You can buy ready iced white wedding cakes in m&s and tesco, that just need a bit of simple decoration.

Favours - I always forget mine as a guest. It's hard to do something nice and women have a tiny handbag, men just have pockets so most favours get left/lost and unappreciated. We didn't do favours. We did a sweety table instead which was probably cheaper to do, but this isn't necessary.

I'm sure there's other things but cant think now.

My aunt and uncle had a registry office wedding (wearing jeans) followed by a buffet they'd made at their house. 20-odd years on they're still happily married with 3 kids.

Thank u for taking the time to write this post its helped me a lot

Have you ever been to Tolleys Ryecroft Hall?
They've got 3 private function suites catering from 6 people upwards :thumbup: (I used to work there, it's just over Shard Bridge.

Then there is also The Venue in Cleveleys. (I used to work there too!) and they can offer wedding package private room for 40 people upwards.
Registry office & small gathering sounds nice.

They've got 3 private function suites catering from 6 people upwards :thumbup: (I used to work there, it's just over Shard Bridge.

Then there is also The Venue in Cleveleys. (I used to work there too!) and they can offer wedding package private room for 40 people upwards.

I live 5 mins walk from tolleys. Yea i was looking at the venue. I am going to pop up there next time im in cleveleys to get some information. I also forgot to add we need to make sure where ever we plan there has to be disabled access cus my parents are in wheelchairs

We dont really have enough people to come to church wedding. The only family i have is mum dad and brother. Dont talk to any other family. Oh as more people to come. How much could a church wedding cost?

The only people you need at a church wedding (or any wedding come to that) is a registrar (in the case of a c of e marriage, this is the priest), 1 bride, 1 groom, and 2 witnesses! Nobody else is required, so you certainly have "enough" people. We frequently see weddings with very few people - I like them, they're much more personal as everyone there is really wanted there.

How much does it cost? Well, there are fees that are set down by the Diocese (which the church has to pay to the Diocese everytime they hold a wedding - A Diocese is a bit like a local "head office"), but I'd worry about any church that isn't flexible on the rest for those who are truly on the breadline. There are "optional extras" - bells, organists, choirs, flowers which could all be tweaked or removed all together if required.

At our church the Diocese calls for £175, and all in (bells, organ, choir, verger, registers etc) it is £433. It gives you an idea of what leeway you might have, though bear in mind that the church you'd be looking at will be in a different diocese, so they may have different requirements to the Diocese. Our church is also prepared in extreme situations, to waive the whole lot so the Diocese's fee would come out of Church funds, so the cost of the wedding would be potentially nothing.

And before anyone starts thinking "let's tell the Church we're poor starving strays and get some money off", don't forget that you're not going to endear yourself to anyone if you claim poverty and then rock up in a horse and carriage. In order for your church to be flexible, it means that people (often professionals) will forgo their fee and the church as a group will forgo the money for upkeep of the building. I know that most wouldn't even dream of doing this, but there are those that will - I've been on the receiving end of it and it's not nice.

I live 5 mins walk from tolleys. Yea i was looking at the venue. I am going to pop up there next time im in cleveleys to get some information. I also forgot to add we need to make sure where ever we plan there has to be disabled access cus my parents are in wheelchairs

Tolleys your fine with for access which you prob know, the venue you will struggle with as they'd have the party upstairs (unless they've changed the layout or added a lift it in the last 6 years).

Fleetwood Golf Club might be worth enquiring at. As you could get married at Fleetwood Library (registry office).

Im in fleetwood thursday so ill pop in them. I think the venue have done a refurb so i might as well pop in just to ask

The only people you need at a church wedding (or any wedding come to that) is a registrar (in the case of a c of e marriage, this is the priest), 1 bride, 1 groom, and 2 witnesses! Nobody else is required, so you certainly have "enough" people. We frequently see weddings with very few people - I like them, they're much more personal as everyone there is really wanted there.

How much does it cost? Well, there are fees that are set down by the Diocese (which the church has to pay to the Diocese everytime they hold a wedding - A Diocese is a bit like a local "head office"), but I'd worry about any church that isn't flexible on the rest for those who are truly on the breadline. There are "optional extras" - bells, organists, choirs, flowers which could all be tweaked or removed all together if required.

At our church the Diocese calls for £175, and all in (bells, organ, choir, verger, registers etc) it is £433. It gives you an idea of what leeway you might have, though bear in mind that the church you'd be looking at will be in a different diocese, so they may have different requirements to the Diocese. Our church is also prepared in extreme situations, to waive the whole lot so the Diocese's fee would come out of Church funds, so the cost of the wedding would be potentially nothing.

And before anyone starts thinking "let's tell the Church we're poor starving strays and get some money off", don't forget that you're not going to endear yourself to anyone if you claim poverty and then rock up in a horse and carriage. In order for your church to be flexible, it means that people (often professionals) will forgo their fee and the church as a group will forgo the money for upkeep of the building. I know that most wouldn't even dream of doing this, but there are those that will - I've been on the receiving end of it and it's not nice.

i think the church is £451 for next year where i would ahve it. Its to much that

Im in fleetwood thursday so ill pop in them. I think the venue have done a refurb so i might as well pop in just to ask

Give them a ring hun, they like to know you're coming (the registry office that is). I tried popping in when I was home the other week to book Millie's naming ceremony and got practically shooed out the door!

Ill pop in thursday as im down that way dropping kids off at pre school

Give them a ring hun, they like to know you're coming (the registry office that is). I tried popping in when I was home the other week to book Millie's naming ceremony and got practically shooed out the door!

Ok hun ill give them ring tomorrow thanks again

We have been looking into this stuff too, and what we are doing is marrying in the registry office, and having a do afterwards
Have you thought of getting one of those budget hotel package deals?
congrats hunni
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"