Weird question, does anyone believe the creation story word for word?

I'm a young earth creationist, so I believe that the world was created in 6 days, is only thousands of years old and that all humans descended from Adam and Eve. I also have a degree in bioscience, so it is not something that I believe blindly.

I believe in the literal interpretation of the Genesis creation account because otherwise it would make nonsense of other fundamental aspects of my faith. Also, I have yet to encounter an argument for evolution/against creation that cannot be explained. I have a bookshelf full of intelligent design books written by well-respected scientists and have attended many lectures on the subject.

I accept the reality of micro-evolution, but I do not believe in macro-evolution as there are simply too many flaws in the theory. A lot of the scientific evidence would actually support either theory, it is simply down to how it is interpreted.

I also believe in the virgin birth of Christ (not the immaculate conception of Mary) because Jesus was God. Hope some of that helps!

This thread is very interesting - to the people who believe in creationism, do you also believe in judgement and a heaven/hell set-up in the afterlife?

I'm a young earth creationist, so I believe that the world was created in 6 days, is only thousands of years old and that all humans descended from Adam and Eve. I also have a degree in bioscience, so it is not something that I believe blindly.

I believe in the literal interpretation of the Genesis creation account because otherwise it would make nonsense of other fundamental aspects of my faith. Also, I have yet to encounter an argument for evolution/against creation that cannot be explained. I have a bookshelf full of intelligent design books written by well-respected scientists and have attended many lectures on the subject.

I accept the reality of micro-evolution, but I do not believe in macro-evolution as there are simply too many flaws in the theory. A lot of the scientific evidence would actually support either theory, it is simply down to how it is interpreted.

I also believe in the virgin birth of Christ (not the immaculate conception of Mary) because Jesus was God. Hope some of that helps!

This is actually so helpful, largely because- and this is awful of me I know- you didn't fit with my preconceived Christian stereotype. Not at all in a bad way, just I would never have guessed you were religious.

Regarding evolution, I've heard that before, though from some cult Christian guy who would occasionally give talks at our school, and I feel there are flaws, too. Not that I'd even consider creationism as it doesn't sit right with me, but nor does evolution fully. Then again I have only GCSE science so what do I know?!

This thread is very interesting - to the people who believe in creationism, do you also believe in judgement and a heaven/hell set-up in the afterlife?

May be totally wrong but I think that on the whole fundamental Christians do believe in a literal heaven and hell in the afterlife. Though have also heard hell described simply as being away from God, which is something I can get on board with (though to me it's just symbolic of a mental state and the state of humanity on earth).

Do Jehovah's Witnesses get on board with the whole creation thing, and the afterlife?

Yes Jehovahs witnesses follow the bible very closely and believe in the creation account as told in Genesis.

We dont believe hell is an actual place of torment nor do we believe the bible teaches that it is, but that fire is used symbolically to represent everlasting death or cutting off from where there is no hope of being raised from the dead.

We believe hell is simply the grave. The bible says the "dead are conscious of nothing at all" which disagrees with the hellfire doctrine. The book of Revelation says that death and hades / hell will themselves be thrown into the lake of fire so showing that its simply a symbol that these will be gone forever or destroyed. When something is destroyed by fire its completely gone so its a a good analogy.

We believe in heaven of course but the bible doesnt teach that all good people go there. It says a small number will to "rule with christ" and form a heavenly government that will rule over the cleansed earth so the vast majority of the dead will be resurrected on the earth itself.

Hope this helps :)

I'm actually quite shocked reading some of these replies. I genuinely thought most people were too intelligent these days to believe in old fairytales.

I absolutely do not 'believe' in the bible or creation. I also don't 'believe' in evolution. I understand it and accept that it's real.

Because it's my faith and what I believe in I'm stupid and believing in "fairy tales"? I find that so offensive. :nope:

I'm not saying anyone is stupid, I just genuinely can't understand how anyone can believe it.

I was brought up going to Sunday schools and churches. As I've grown up, I've completely rejected all religion.

I'm heavily involved in science and I'm a great lover of knowledge of all kinds. I'm an Atheist and I generally only mix with Atheists (not on purpose, just so happens that 99% of science based people are Atheists). I'm in the UK where religion is dying out. I just can't understand some faiths.

I guess with me it's just different. I definitely have friends of all different faiths and some with none at all. I just know what I believe in myself and let everyone do their own thing as well. :)

I'm actually quite shocked reading some of these replies. I genuinely thought most people were too intelligent these days to believe in old fairytales.

I absolutely do not 'believe' in the bible or creation. I also don't 'believe' in evolution. I understand it and accept that it's real.

Ditto.

How can you write that and then say you didn't say anyone is stupid?

But if they were more intelligent they wouldn't believe in 'fairytales'. So really you are calling them stupid, or at least less intelligent than you.

I also find this offensive. I have a degree in science and a genius-level IQ. Some of the world's most eminent scientists believe in intelligent design. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

It is called "the theory of evolution" for a reason. It cannot be proved as fact, only supported by evidence. If you dig deeper, rather than just accepting what has been spoon-fed to you, you will find plenty of scientific evidence to contradict the theory as well.

I'm not saying anyone is stupid, I just genuinely can't understand how anyone can believe it.

I was brought up going to Sunday schools and churches. As I've grown up, I've completely rejected all religion.

I'm heavily involved in science and I'm a great lover of knowledge of all kinds. I'm an Atheist and I generally only mix with Atheists (not on purpose, just so happens that 99% of science based people are Atheists). I'm in the UK where religion is dying out. I just can't understand some faiths.

Just because that's the path you followed, doesn't make it the right one for everyone else. Your inability to understand some faiths doesn't make those that do unintelligent. I am not a Hindu, a Muslim or a Jainist but I understand those faiths. I certainly wouldn't call members of those faiths unintelligent because they hold different beliefs to my own!

I consider myself to be an intelligent person. I have a relatively high IQ, a couple of post-grad qualifications and work within academia- I too consider myself to be a great lover of knowledge. I teach science, I attend guest lectures on scientific themes at my local university. I am also religious. It is possible to believe in both science and religion. I also know and work with many "science based people" and many of them subscribe to religion too.

I wouldn't call it fairytales but I do find it hard to believe in my mind however I do like the idea of faith xxx fairytales is a tad offensive.

Yes, I believe what's written in the bible. A person's gotta believe something, that's what I've chosen to believe.

I think it's cool that you're studying religion, I'd like to learn more about the religions of the world. I think my local college offers a few classes.

I'm an atheist, although I grew up going to church as my parents were Christians. (They're unsure of their faith these days. My Dad certainly doesn't have one anymore whereas my Mum is a little more open minded)

I have in the past found it hard to understand why people find or seek comfort in something, that to me anyhow, is just a story & not fact. I do find it really interesting, and fascinating though. I certainly wouldn't belittle anyone's beliefs or think them less intelligent for what they believe in. I think it makes the world a lot more interesting and is all part of our history.

This is a really interesting question :flow:

I agree Dani it doesn't make sense to belittle people for their beliefs, but I also don't 'get' the need to believe in stories. Because to me that's what they are - that's not intended as offensive, it's the viewpoint of someone who is hardwired to question and understand things based on evidence :flower:

There are so many creation myths, how do you 'know' the one your culture endorses is the 'right' one?

It's funny how people claim religion creates conflict, when really I think it's ignorance as demonstrated in posts like this that does.

BIB - this is absurd! Science and religion are in no way mutually exclusive...

I am not personally religious but absolutely have faith that there is something 'greater than me' as it were, but that's my personal belief and I would never expect to have it personally attacked or called a fairy tale. That is beyond offensive and even as someone who hasn't just had my fundamental beliefs slammed I find it a pretty upsetting assertion :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->