Weird question, does anyone believe the creation story word for word?

Sure :). Sorry if I'm repeating stuff that you know inside out but:
The immaculate conception dogma says that Mary was conceived without sin, that God kept her free of original sin in the womb, and that she then lived free of personal sin once born.

I personally believe that we are all born with original sin but that we are also all born good- we're like a toddler who has a tantrum, he's not "perfect" but he's not bad either, just human. This goes for Mary too. So I don't believe that she was born perfect but that she was born innocent (as we all are) and continued to be innocent through her own concious effort to live right.
I guess I believe more in the immaculate ante partum of Mary more than the immaculate conception :haha:.

Similarly I believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary (that Mary was a virgin before she conceived Jesus, during conception and after she gave birth), although I believe that the post-birth virginity is more metaphorical/theological than literal.

Does that make sense?? I don't want to waffle on lol :haha:

Yes that makes sense! Thank you so much! I've never learnt that about Mary being born without the original sin, so that's really interesting! Can I ask, do you believe in the original sin because, literally we were all seminally present in the loins of Adam (that's the phrase I was taught to use, sounds prettier than we were all little sperm cells within cells :haha: ), or do you just believe that as humans we are flawed?

Yes i believe in the creation story as stated in the bible. I also believe in dinosaurs etc. The biblical account doesnt discredit them at all.

Genesis only give the account of the earths creation for human habitation - Not the earth itself and obviously dinosaurs roamed the earth prior to this. It starts off saying that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. It doesnt say how long these had been around for before the creation account. I also dont believe that the bible teaches 6 x literal 24 hour creation days as the collective days is also spoken of as the "creation day". The word "Day" meaning a period of time.

Re immaculate conception. If you believe God created the human body which includes our reproductive organs then why is it hard to believe that he could put an embryo in Marys womb? Of course if u believe its plausible and extremely simple for God to do.

Just my opinion :)

Sure :). Sorry if I'm repeating stuff that you know inside out but:
The immaculate conception dogma says that Mary was conceived without sin, that God kept her free of original sin in the womb, and that she then lived free of personal sin once born.

I personally believe that we are all born with original sin but that we are also all born good- we're like a toddler who has a tantrum, he's not "perfect" but he's not bad either, just human. This goes for Mary too. So I don't believe that she was born perfect but that she was born innocent (as we all are) and continued to be innocent through her own concious effort to live right.
I guess I believe more in the immaculate ante partum of Mary more than the immaculate conception :haha:.

Similarly I believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary (that Mary was a virgin before she conceived Jesus, during conception and after she gave birth), although I believe that the post-birth virginity is more metaphorical/theological than literal.

Does that make sense?? I don't want to waffle on lol :haha:

Yes that makes sense! Thank you so much! I've never learnt that about Mary being born without the original sin, so that's really interesting! Can I ask, do you believe in the original sin because, literally we were all seminally present in the loins of Adam (that's the phrase I was taught to use, sounds prettier than we were all little sperm cells within cells :haha: ), or do you just believe that as humans we are flawed?

Ah I've just realised from reading other replies that maybe you meant Jesus's conception when you said immaculate conception, sorry :dohh:. In Catholicism the Immaculate Conception is Mary's conception, Jesus's virginal conception is known as the Perpetual Virginity of Mary. So my replies are probably useless :haha:.

But in answer to your question, I believe that we are all flawed- we all have the ability to sin, it's just human nature.
I believe in an omni-benevolent God and I don't believe that He would punish us because our great-great-great.... grandfather made a mistake (even a pretty massive one)- I don't go in for the whole "sins of the father" thing. I personally see original sin as a challenge, and an opportunity, rather than a bad thing. If you have to work at something then your success feels so good. Whereas if it comes easy and is no challenge then it's really no achievement. By having original sin, and the ability to choose to overcome temptation, we appreciate what it means to be good.

I believe in Adam and Eve but I don't take it 100% literally- I believe that God put men and women on the Earth and that these people had a choice and made a bad one, and that that shaped how humanity evolved. But I don't believe that as soon as they nibbled that apple all of Adam's sperm turned slightly evil :haha:.

Even when I was brought up catholic as a child I never believed any of it, didnt make sense. Now that I am older I am atheist. Which makes more sense to me.

Just wanted to say I'm not really religious but Eleanor ace I have found your answers really interesting and informative and I feel like I have learnt something new today!

Nope. I don't believe in Jesus either. I believe in a force, maybe a God like presence and definitely in living according to most of the 10 commandments. I don't think this force is concious, I do think what you radiate out to it will come back to you.

Nope. I don't believe in Jesus either. I believe in a force, maybe a God like presence and definitely in living according to most of the 10 commandments. I don't think this force is concious, I do think what you radiate out to it will come back to you.

You mean you don't believe Jesus was the son of God or you don't believe Jesus existed? Cos it's pretty well proven that he did exist.

Yes, I believe what's in the Quran, this sums up what we believe in

"Islam also has its own school of*Evolutionary creationism/Theistic evolutionism, which holds that mainstream scientific analysis of the origin of the universe is supported by the Qur'an."Muslims accept science as being fully compatible with Islam and readily accept*microevolution*and the belief in*macroevolution, though the only exception being human evolution. Within the corpus of Islamic sources there is nothing whatsoever that contradicts*microevolution. Evolution on a larger scale from one type of species to another (excluding humans) as in*macroevolution, is equally acceptable and justifiable as per Islamic sources. According to Islam, the only exception that is made is the creation of mankind. Humans are not viewed as being part of the whole evolutionary scheme, but rather being an unique and honored creation of Allah. [Qur'an 17:70, 38:75]. From an Islamic perspective, everything takes place according to Allah's will and permission and as predestined by Him alone. [Qur'an 54:49] In light of this, the concept of*natural selection*randomly taking place according to the evolution theory, is not acceptable in Islam. To sum up, almost all aspects of the evolution theory are in perfect compliance with the Islamic sources, with the only two exceptions being stated above.

i believe it - exactly as it is written.

People who're saying they believe it fundamentally, have you ever doubted that view? How do you react to scientific alternatives? What makes you view it as the absolute truth and not a fable or myth used to explain the nature of God? Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate all the answers, it's so helpful.

I've never doubted. I know it is true because of the faith I have. I believe that science goes right along with my faith - I've been taught that God himself follows the laws of the universe. So was there some giant cosmic collision that created Earth? possibly.... He did what he had to do to create what we see now. He's not some magical being who just conjures up worlds whenever he feels like it.

When i think about the creation of the earth and everything that had to happen for life to turn out the way it is today, the chance of all of those things happening so perfectly on accident seems impossible. There had to be some sort of divine intervention and guidance going on.

As far as me believing word for word, I know God's time table is not the same as ours. So when he says he created something in one day, who knows how many millions or billions of years that actually took on earth. My religion also believes that the bible is true as far as it has been translated correctly. We acknowledge that it has been translated many many times and over centuries been changed. We are encouraged to pray about it and learn for ourselves (as well as from our prophets) what is true and what is not.

Hope that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->