Weird question, does anyone believe the creation story word for word?

I asked this question because as a lifelong atheist studying religion I do find it very difficult to comprehend a belief in something I find borderline ridiculous- but that's kind of the point, I want to be able to understand that perspective otherwise I'm just learning book facts and nothing with any real purpose. I don't want to not understand it and find certain views silly- and by saying that I really do not mean to cause any offence, part of my reasoning here is to set aside my own views and try and comprehend real faith- so all the 'no, I believe in science' posts are kind of not the point and I don't want anyone who is religious to feel like they're considered stupid for talking about it. So please don't demean anyone's views and call people stupid or otherwise for believing/not believing in certain things. Anyone who's put their views down on here has only done so to be helpful.

I am a very ardent science follower (if that is a thing) and find it hard to believe that people think there is nothing bigger then us out there. Call it God, force, karma or the universe, whatever. It just makes no sense to me that we are alone.

I'm not saying anyone is stupid, I just genuinely can't understand how anyone can believe it.

I was brought up going to Sunday schools and churches. As I've grown up, I've completely rejected all religion.

I'm heavily involved in science and I'm a great lover of knowledge of all kinds. I'm an Atheist and I generally only mix with Atheists (not on purpose, just so happens that 99% of science based people are Atheists). I'm in the UK where religion is dying out. I just can't understand some faiths.

BIB - this is absurd! Science and religion are in no way mutually exclusive...

I am not personally religious but absolutely have faith that there is something 'greater than me' as it were, but that's my personal belief and I would never expect to have it personally attacked or called a fairy tale. That is beyond offensive and even as someone who hasn't just had my fundamental beliefs slammed I find it a pretty upsetting assertion :nope:

"An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do now to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed."

- Carl Sagan

It's worth noting that Stephen Hawking is agnostic too.

No. I believe there is some kind of higher force, but I don't believe any of the Bible.

Science is much more believable, because aeroplanes stay up in the sky, mobile phones work, etc etc. But at the end of the day, that's just a belief too for 99% of people.

I'm not religious and don't know anyone who is. Well, maybe one of the neighbours but I am not sure.

I don't like the whole incest thing...if there was and Adam and Eve, I'm thinking they were having lots of sex with their own children to get the human population going, right. Bit gross!

The whole bible/god stuff is like a grimms fairy tale for me.

I'm not religious and don't know anyone who is. Well, maybe one of the neighbours but I am not sure.

I don't like the whole incest thing...if there was and Adam and Eve, I'm thinking they were having lots of sex with their own children to get the human population going, right. Bit gross!

Adam and Eve didnt have sex with their children! They were husband and wife.

Their children married eachother to get the population going and back then they were so close to perfection that the chances of any abnormalities were incredibly tiny. It wasnt a sick / twisted thing but a natural one at the time. As humans moved further away from physical perfection God forbidded incest.

To feel like having sex with your siblings is gross to me, as perfect and lovely as they are. Sorry.

Adam and Eve didnt have sex with their children! They were husband and wife.

Their children married eachother to get the population going and back then they were so close to perfection that the chances of any abnormalities were incredibly tiny. It wasnt a sick / twisted thing but a natural one at the time. As humans moved further away from physical perfection God forbidded incest.

Sorry, but chromosomes are chromosomes. That is impossible.

No it isnt. No point arguing the fact here tho i guess.

If u believe in God you believe he created us perfect initially. What occurs now is a result of our imperfection

I'm personally agnostic, but my husband is Christian. He believes science and religion can both be believed in and he is intellegent. He does believe in Adam and Eve but he still believes in evolution. He sees it more as a metaphor though. At the end of the day there were many books written by disciples of Jesus which are not included in the bible as we know today. For example the writings of Mary Magdalena has been discovered, the bible it self was retelling of stories and as with all stories will contain biased of the writer. Scientifically there is an Eve due to tracing female dna (it is something passed down maternal line, I am not a scientist though so cant explain further) it can be traced to a single female ancestor who science has labelled Eve. I don't see the point of being rude about anyone's beliefs, even science changes its opinions on things fairly regularly throughout history as science has a lot of theories. Every culture in History has had some kind of religion so I don't think you should belittle those who believe in it. Me and husband believe in different things but we would never belittle each others beliefs. I love learning about religions and beliefs.

To feel like having sex with your siblings is gross to me, as perfect and lovely as they are. Sorry.

If you dissect the idea with or without religious philosophy, you realise it's only 'wrong' if the possibility of abnormalities in the children is considered. Otherwise, we think it is wrong simply because it goes against our natural and social instincts, not because it is intrinsically wrong. There's a very good thought experiment where a brother and sister, both infertile, and completely alone and no one can ever find out, and when you apply pretty much every outlook from every philosopher ever concerned with what is 'good' it works out that it isn't actually wrong.

I know I'm a little late to the thread, but I wanted to add my (probably useless) reply anyway.

I don't believe that God made the Earth, I don't believe in Adam and Eve, and I don't believe it's possible that Mary was a virgin. I personally identify as an atheist but in reality, I'm more of an agnostic. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I do believe the stories of people that remember their past lives, and mediums that speak with the dead. I have a very hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of souls and the existence of something/someone that can't be seen. That's my biggest problem, really. I don't have any proof that a God exists.

I will openly agree that I may be wrong, that there may be a God, but stubborness and fear of the unknown make me call myself an atheist. I don't WANT to believe there is a God, because that means that things I can't wrap my mind around could actually exist, and that is so confusing and scary.

I'm also terrified of reincarnation being real, because I don't want to live again.

My OH is a Christian, but I don't know how much he believes. We don't talk about religion a lot because 1. He would happily discuss it for over an hour and ain't nobody got time fo dat, and 2. I hate being told I'm wrong lol

This is something I've been battling recently.

I think I'm different to most on here in that I've 'found' faith as an adult. It's only something I've fully accepted recently.

I'm intelligent. I'm incredibly literal. And I come from a family of scientists. I'm not brainwashed or naive.

It was only when I met my husband that I started looking into it all. It's something he believes in so I felt it was something I should try and understand. The more I looked into it, the more it made sense to me.

I believe the Bible (even within each Christian Denomination) is something that we all interpret differently. Nor do I believe that science is void. They're not mutually exclusive to me. I look at the beautiful things in the world and I can't believe that it was just a 'big bang', there may of been one, but I feel there must of been something much bigger behind it. A turning point was looking at my baby, I can't believe science alone made something so perfect. Nor can I believe my husband and I alone made something so perfect. To me, there had to of been something much more pure behind her creation.

I do believe that God created the world, but that doesn't mean that I completely reject evolution. There is solid proof for neither. And I do believe they can go hand in hand.

I also don't really 'get' immaculate conception. I do believe in her perpetual virginity.

They're just things that make sense to me.

I'm actually quite shocked reading some of these replies. I genuinely thought most people were too intelligent these days to believe in old fairytales.

I absolutely do not 'believe' in the bible or creation. I also don't 'believe' in evolution. I understand it and accept that it's real.

You're shitting me? Your attitude is vile and I do genuinely believe ignorance and hatred like yours is what causes conflicts between Atheists and religion.

You 'understand' and 'accept' evolution? I would love to hear what you have to say on the THEORY of evolution. All these set in stone facts you must have.

This is something I've been battling recently.

I think I'm different to most on here in that I've 'found' faith as an adult. It's only something I've fully accepted recently.

I'm intelligent. I'm incredibly literal. And I come from a family of scientists. I'm not brainwashed or naive.

It was only when I met my husband that I started looking into it all. It's something he believes in so I felt it was something I should try and understand. The more I looked into it, the more it made sense to me.

I believe the Bible (even within each Christian Denomination) is something that we all interpret differently. Nor do I believe that science is void. They're not mutually exclusive to me. I look at the beautiful things in the world and I can't believe that it was just a 'big bang', there may of been one, but I feel there must of been something much bigger behind it. A turning point was looking at my baby, I can't believe science alone made something so perfect. Nor can I believe my husband and I alone made something so perfect. To me, there had to of been something much more pure behind her creation.

I do believe that God created the world, but that doesn't mean that I completely reject evolution. There is solid proof for neither. And I do believe they can go hand in hand.

I also don't really 'get' immaculate conception. I do believe in her perpetual virginity.

They're just things that make sense to me.

Her perpetual virginity? I don't get that, she obviously didn't have perpetual virginity as she had more children after Jesus

Oh and I are both atheists. Although Maybe I should say I am a apathetic Atheist. means , I don#t give a poo one way or another, it just seems very unlikely to me and even as a kid I had a hard time imagining it :haha:

Random question but does a religious person think of other other religions 'untrue'?

From what I know yes, seen even with just different demonination of a religion(like pakistan where are group of muslims are persecuted because it isnt mainline islam, and same in Iraq where there are shiites and sunnis who have different believes and therefore prefer only their company(to put it mildly) or the alavites in syria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->